Metal Meet Forums  

Go Back   Metal Meet Forums > Resources > Sheet metal shaping tools

Sheet metal shaping tools Know of a good source to purchase new or used sheetmetal shaping machinery? Share your source here.

Old 06-15-2011, 08:51 PM

Question "C" Clamps - How to Repair One???

Suggestions........ While attending a local auction I found 2 milk cases filled with very large / very heavy "C" clamps - all of them were in really good condition, except for the fact that all of the swivel pads had been removed from the stem of the Acme screw! There were no swivel pads anywhere to be found, and no one had any idea as to 'why' they had been removed other than for some specific job. Do you have any ideas as to how I might fabricate some pads for the ball swivel ends? I have a lathe and access to a mill if needed. I am open to any suggestions you might have. Oh ya, I paid less than the scrap price the 200 pounds of clamps would bring and I could not pass up this deal. thanks, Steve
Old 06-15-2011, 10:22 PM

Default What I'd do

I'd make the pad from steel, drill a hole the size of the ball end, place it over the ball, and take a punch and put a couple punch marks at the top of the hole such that burrs would hold the pad on. If you wanted a greater contact area for the ball, you could use a ball mill to make the hole.

Ron Covell and Peter Tomasini metalshaping DVD's available, shipped from the US. Contact lane.nittler@gmail.com for price and availability.
Old 06-16-2011, 05:42 AM

Check out McMaster. Search for C Clamp pads.

J.
Old 06-16-2011, 06:50 AM

Like J posted
http://www.mcmaster.com/#c-clamp-pads/=crti1e

you can't make them for the price
Old 06-16-2011, 06:42 PM

Default Learn something new every day

I guess I need to read the McMaster Car Catalog....

Ron Covell and Peter Tomasini metalshaping DVD's available, shipped from the US. Contact lane.nittler@gmail.com for price and availability.
Old 06-17-2011, 05:15 AM

I've purchased those replacement pads. They don't always fit very well.

They're designed to fit certain ball diameters on the clamp screw and all clamps don't fall into those .005" diameter ranges. They have an internal spring-washer mechanism to hold them on. If the ball on your clamp is slightly larger you'll damage the spring and ruin the pad.

There are other manufacturers who make pads that are more forgiving in diameter range. Those swage on like John suggested. Over the years I found a few of that type at Boeing Surplus, but have never been able to find who sells them.

Doug