Metal Meet Forums  

Go Back   Metal Meet Forums > Metal Shaping Events > Oblong Metal Meet

Old 05-06-2012, 07:31 PM

Bob,

Not real sure if I could make it, but I'd sure consider it. Work doesn't interfere with my travel plans any more, but there are other things that do. Probably depends on the when. I'd be traveling by Harley Davidson, so can't bring much.
Old 05-06-2012, 07:57 PM

Hi Ray, Do you think you really want to take a pattern and contour gages? If so, what size? Maybe we can accomadate you.
Hi Bob, Did you go to Oblong in 2011? I talked to so many people there, and I talked to someone from Colorado, but I don't know remember if it was you? Thanks for your interest in helping out. Hopefully you won't just be helping me out, but you will be helping others learn about metal shaping.
I want to Thank everyone who is willing to help out, hopefully this year it will help make metal meet 2012 the best ever.
Randy, Should I post what I have going on in this thread or should I post in my coupe build thread? I could post buck related stuff here now, and chassis related stuff in my build thread. Mark
Old 05-06-2012, 08:08 PM

Default Link to Daytona Coupe Cobra site

http://home.comcast.net/~chuckcobra/

In my last post I forgot to add this link. I am building using plans from Chuck. Some of you have probably seen his site before and some haven't. I think most would enjoy checking it out. This will give you a view of what I am building and how someone else went about it. Enjoy!
Old 05-07-2012, 08:47 AM

Hi Mark, no I wasn't there last year. Only been to Oblong for the '07 meet.

A couple of thoughts about sheet metal shaping and related things. I became seriously interested in this craft about the time that the internet became available. Suddenly there was a way to read about anything you could imagine. It was interesting to see the amount of content grow as the internet web grew. As it relates to sheet metal shaping, much of this was in the form of discussions that finally unraveled the secrets of shaping. Prior to that, these secrets had only been passed on by hands on, one on one instruction. These meets are a way to do that very thing.

I haven't done much sheet metal shaping but I've read nearly every word that has been written on the subject on these internets during the last 10 years. It's time for me to **** or get off the pot. So I've offered to help Mark with his dream to create a Cobra Daytona Coupe. Ray has offered to help as well. If you would like to join us you are most welcome. We'll learn a bit, make some noise and have some fun for a few days.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAStuart View Post
Hi Ray, Do you think you really want to take a pattern and contour gages? If so, what size? Maybe we can accomadate you.
...I want to Thank everyone who is willing to help out, hopefully this year it will help make metal meet 2012 the best ever.
Randy, Should I post what I have going on in this thread or should I post in my coupe build thread? I could post buck related stuff here now, and chassis related stuff in my build thread. Mark
Mark,

Taking a practical part in this project would be great and I think it would be fantastic if it could be made an "Across the Pond Joint Venture!" It would be great if Ray could bring FSP to the 2012 Viking Meet. We could make some panels for your car and if they are to big for Ray to bring back to the USA, we might be able to figure out how to ship them to Oblong... or somewhere else in the States

My personal opinion: You should post contents to your build thread. Then all the info would be in one place. This thead i "only" a "tool" to make things happen, ensure progress on your project and make the Oblong meet (and hopefully regional meets) better events!

Last edited by anders nørgaard; 05-07-2012 at 05:19 PM. Reason: typos
Old 05-07-2012, 12:40 PM

What a genious idea!!!

I would love to be part of such project!! Btw: if we get to make some parts at the viking meet, in case they are to big we just have to cut them in a tousand small pieces, put some numbers on then so you guys can weld them togheter!!

Best Regards SANTOS
Old 05-09-2012, 01:47 PM

Bob, I live just west of Denver and would love to attend a meet at your shop (schedule permitting). I have sent a couple of private messages to Mark as I am very interested in his project. I think I have something to contribute and hope the meet becomes a reality. John Christensen
Old 05-09-2012, 03:05 PM

Hi John, glad to hear you might be able to make it. Right now the schedule is pretty wide open, sometime late summer or early fall. I'll narrow that down by the end of this month.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:12 PM

Hey Mark of course I meant I would like to take FSP and gauges for some parts that could be made at the Viking! Just keep in mind size of the finished part(s) so I can get them back home with me. Only other concern is Al alloy that you will be using and can it be matched in Denmark or if I will be taking flat stock along with the gauges and FSP. Would be a shame to make them and then not be able to join them together.

Weight shouldn't be to much of a problem I hope. I am taking the 2018 3/4 X 3/4 square bar stock and a few other things but this should not make a big difference. Hoping Karl Fredrick is still willing to let me come a bit early, and if he might maybe he and I could attempt a part in Norway, then more in Denmark at the Viking. Frank Luten says he can take me back home with him to Holland and we might be able to take another shot at a part that we make in the Nederlands down near Rotterdam I think that would make your coupe quite the international car.

Ray Rodman
Manager of BuglytoolS Intergalactic Division!
Center of the most disgruntled employees in the universe!!
Old 05-09-2012, 09:15 PM

Mark,

It sounds like we better be getting the shape patterns and gauges made. Any closer to getting the right side of the buck true surfaced?

Randy Ferguson
618 553 9106