Metal Meet Forums  

Go Back   Metal Meet Forums > Materials > Sheet Metal > Metals used for making metalshaping tools

Metals used for making metalshaping tools All types of metals used in making sheetmetal shaping tools

Old 08-25-2011, 09:36 AM

Default Welding Wrought Iron Stakes

In another thread I talked about de-rusting some old stakes and was left with this:

Some suggested the metal was eaten away by vinegar/acid, others the conditions they were "stored" in, and one guy suggested they are an old set of wrought iron stakes.

I've since went over them with the sandblaster. They didn't fall apart. I even hit them a few times and they didn't fall apart. But face it, they look like $hit in their present conditions.

How would you suggest I fix them up? I can MIG and TIG. Could even try O/A if someone suggests a rod to use. I could just weld up some 1/8" plate on the sides to make them look "pretty". Or ??? I've even seen a "miracle" rod that will "flow into" cracks and pits online. I could even pour fiberglass resin in the cracks and sand them smooth

What say you??

Chris'
Autobody
Restoration
Service

Comfrey MN

Old 08-25-2011, 11:29 AM
Administrator

Use them like they are, they have character. Weld them if you know what you are doing.

http://westcoastmetalshapers.com/forum/
Old 08-25-2011, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete's Metalshaping View Post
Weld them if you know what you are doing.

Larry,

If I knew what I was doing I wouldn't be here asking questions

Chris'
Autobody
Restoration
Service

Comfrey MN

Old 08-25-2011, 12:06 PM

clean up the faces and if a good blacksmith tells you how to make them look good again then do it! You probably have a da sander so clean them up, to keep from rusting brush on some Johnson's acrylic wax (no silicones) was called Future floor wax, it still says on the container Future, but small lettering. btw the Future works for thinning acrylic paints for use in your air brush....
Study the acid damage it will show you the grain structure of steel, why it has strength, why it can be bent, what annealing does to the grain structure. learn as much as you can from the mistakes made! tt
Old 08-25-2011, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARS View Post
Larry,

If I knew what I was doing I wouldn't be here asking questions
Chris,Take advantage of the contacts you have made at all of these events we have.Myron and a few others would be more than happy to help you out on those.So cool your heels until the oct. event and you not only will be able to see the process, but you will able to do it under a pros supervision .Dan
Old 08-26-2011, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by route56wingnut View Post
Chris,Take advantage of the contacts you have made at all of these events we have.Myron and a few others would be more than happy to help you out on those.So cool your heels until the oct. event and you not only will be able to see the process, but you will able to do it under a pros supervision .Dan
You're right! I forgot about Myron (oops ). I should have asked you yesterday when we talked on the phone. I forgot you guys forge stuff

Chris'
Autobody
Restoration
Service

Comfrey MN

Old 08-26-2011, 05:39 PM

Since I suggested this is a Wrought Iron stake and has a steel top I will add a few more comments. The stake has a steel top and it's heat treated, I wouldn't do any welding. Rather I would find someone with a milling machine and mill off about 1/16 of a inch on each side and whatever it takes on the top, then use abrasives and files to clean it up. Charlie who has worked with Myron may be willing to do it, or perhaps Gene Olson. What you see on the surface is rusting down between layers of iron and from experience the don't go very deep. Filing is easy since everything except the top is very soft.

Corky
Old 08-27-2011, 02:07 AM
Administrator

Chris,

If it isn't broke, don't fix it. Just clean it up and paint it. If you do break it, then weld it or have it welded. That would be the only way I would take a chance on welding it.

http://westcoastmetalshapers.com/forum/
Old 08-27-2011, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete's Metalshaping View Post
Chris,

If it isn't broke, don't fix it. Just clean it up and paint it.
Bondo has its uses...