Metal Meet Forums  

Go Back   Metal Meet Forums > Processes > Processes > Cutting > Torch cutting

Torch cutting Different types and methods of torch cutting

Old 08-24-2011, 04:21 AM

Default Rosebud for torch

I am going to start a different thread for Dave's question so that we don't get the cutting thread off topic.

Quote:
I'd like to hear comments about rose tips, having never used one.

Dave Cameron

In spite of the cost of living, it's still popular.

Last edited by jlrussell4; 08-24-2011 at 05:02 AM.
Old 08-24-2011, 05:01 AM

Default rosebud

Hi Dave,

Like you, I used a big welding tip or a cutting torch to heat with for years. Then I got a rosebud. WOW! Lots of heat and it's spread out a little more than the cutting tip or welding tip. The rosebud does use a lot of the gases though.

In spite of the cost of living, it's still popular.
Old 08-24-2011, 05:40 AM

an important thing about using a Rosebud is that they are equal pressure tips. so make sure you are using the correct pressures and that your Acetylene and your Oxygen are set at the same settings. Like 10psi on both. Also make sure all the connections and the tip is tight. No gas leaks. since they get so hot they tend to get loose if they are not pretty tight to begin with.

Two things I've learned...
1) The Amateur gets excited when things go right,
The Professional gets excited when things go wrong!

2) There comes a point when you realize that you aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.......

http://mysite.verizon.net/billsmetal/
Old 08-24-2011, 07:33 AM

Default Weed burner

Rose buds do indeed eat up gas, but if you need to heat an area, they are much better than cutting or welding tips.

My local gas supplier keeps Victor charts in stock, telling you what pressure to run with what size tip. Likely they are posted on the internet also. Frequently find that people don't follow the advice and then wonder why they aren't getting good results.

For heating large areas the thing to use is a 500K BTU weed burner on propane, available from HF. They are also used for torch down roofing materials. The cost of operating is much less than oxy acet. They are also great for organic weed removal (simply melt off the waxy covering on the weed leaf, but watch for starting fires) and for starting that brush pile on fire that got rained on.

Ron Covell and Peter Tomasini metalshaping DVD's available, shipped from the US. Contact lane.nittler@gmail.com for price and availability.
Old 08-24-2011, 11:25 PM

Default rosebud

Make sure you use a large acetylene tank if you use a rosebud because you are going to be pulling a lot of gas out. If you pull acetylene out of the tank at too high a percentage of tank capacity we will be reading about you in the paper. It can become unstable.
Old 08-25-2011, 05:37 AM

When I have to heat things up and dont want to fire up the forge, I made a Treddle torch for this.It really saves on gas from constantly starting and stopping and resetting your torch..DanI put this together for the metal meet this last weekend figuring that we would make some slappers. This would be easier than firing up the forge if there were only a few people that wanted to make them. Check out the
youtube and tell me what you think. Dan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5ZvGw9lzmc
Old 08-25-2011, 06:35 AM

great Idea....!!!!

Two things I've learned...
1) The Amateur gets excited when things go right,
The Professional gets excited when things go wrong!

2) There comes a point when you realize that you aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.......

http://mysite.verizon.net/billsmetal/