Metal Meet Forums  

Go Back   Metal Meet Forums > Processes > Processes > Low Production Run Methods > inexpensive die construction materials and methods

Old 12-15-2010, 06:39 PM

Default Embossing, the easy way

Some ideas for embossing using simple dies.

These are some trial samples of embossing on a preformed domed surface, 4" radius. I used a Chevrolet logo for lack of any better design at the moment.

Logo is a bit over 1" wide, way too small for these metal thicknesses to get sharp resolution.
18ga on the right, next 19 ga, 20ga and ,050" copper. 18ga is not sharp enough.

This is the die. Flat .050" 3003-0 aluminum scroll sawed out. The design was printed then double back taped to the aluminum. The die is
formed to the panel shape in the press prior to embossing. The two lower right pieces in the above picture were done with a male die, this one is a female die.

Set up in the press after pressing the parts. The die is totally rounded over at the edges. I made the mistake of pressing the thicker material first which destroyed the sharpness of the die. A steel die would be a better choice.

The off-white form is nylon, almost like a tuck puck. Lower left is a chunk of black nylon for a pusher. Square of tan urethane in the foreground.

Stacked up ready to press.

This copper piece was done with an acrylic die (Plexiglas). The design was machined into the flat die. The acrylic was heated to 300 F (too hot, note the bubbling on the edges) then hand pressed into the form to curve it. Acrylic holds up well for copper and aluminum, only for light pressing with steel.

Another variation of the same idea, make a flat die, bend or form it to the panel shape. This might be a way to make a belt line molding that wraps around the back of a body.

This is brass that bulged with urethane. Die was acrylic tube.

Doug
Old 12-16-2010, 06:17 AM

Thanks for re-posting this Doug! Very nice method.

John
Old 12-16-2010, 06:43 AM

I really like the profile created with the ball milled die. There are some places where I can use that in the interior of my bus. Can you explain the process you used to create the bulged piece in the bottom picture?
Old 12-16-2010, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobadame View Post
I really like the profile created with the ball milled die. There are some places where I can use that in the interior of my bus. Can you explain the process you used to create the bulged piece in the bottom picture?
I'll see if I can come up with some pictures to explain the bulging process.

In this case it was easier for me to make the hemispherical pocket on the mill, the lathe was setup for something else at the time.

Doug