Metal Meet Forums  

Go Back   Metal Meet Forums > Processes > Processes > Design > The Design studio

The Design studio Link pictures and drawings of your concept cars or models here. Want to see what your car will look like with a chopped top or restyled will look like?

Old 09-09-2006, 08:08 AM

Here's a 22 page step by step on a 2-door 50 merc chop:

http://www.ruffrodders.com/cgi-bin/i...=ST;f=50;t=629
Old 09-10-2006, 08:15 PM

I have chopped four or five Merc's through the years, none of these were easy. I read all the how to's I could get before doing the first one, this made it more difficult then ever because they all had different ideas on how to do it. Yes and every one I did was different too, the last one not only being chopped but change to a hardtop also. We now have a Caddy in the shop that was one of those bad chops. The work involved in doing one of these is so much more then a car in the 30's so be sure you are up to the task be for jumping in.

Andy
Old 06-04-2012, 08:08 PM

Any chance anyone has a pic of the merc that was work on at mm. I was chopping one for my buddy Ed Betz before he died . His brother sold it unfinished. I was just wondering ................hope the screwup job wasnt something I started. Mark

Last edited by MAStuart; 06-04-2012 at 08:09 PM. Reason: cant spell
Old 06-04-2012, 09:45 PM

Take a look at the HAMB --> http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5

Just do a search on chopped merc or chopping merc. You will see everything from individuals, Barris, Ayala and the other masters from the era and how they were chopped.

Also do a search on Street Rodder magazine and "how to chop a merc". Inevitably all the sketches and cutlines for a 49/50 and 51 are out there.

Chopping a 2-door Merc is a large project. But if done properly can look fantastic. Post pics as you go.
Old 06-05-2012, 10:10 PM

Default Gene Winfields video

Gene points out some issues in the chop. Once you see the details he discusses, you'll notice the problems on many of the chops out there.

Ron Covell and Peter Tomasini metalshaping DVD's available, shipped from the US. Contact lane.nittler@gmail.com for price and availability.