Metal Meet Forums  

Go Back   Metal Meet Forums > Metal Shaping Events > Reports from shows,seminars, and shop tours

Reports from shows,seminars, and shop tours Have you attended a show or metalshaping seminar lately? Have you recently visited an outstanding shop? Here's your chance to show some pictures and write your first hand account of the experience.

Old 01-02-2006, 08:33 PM

Default Porsche?

Hi Eddie, did you get the porsche cut up yet..?........Drop by now and then and let us know what's happening...............john
Old 01-21-2006, 10:43 AM

Default The Porsche is cut!

We are in the process of finishing the Porsche named “Sally” for the PIXAR/Disney show called CARS, Inc. and the next car we will be starting is the NASCAR named “Lightning” the Porsche was shortened 7-1/2” and the top raised 3 inches for the taller
”Cartoon” look, the amazing thing about it is that everything still works even though we had to cut through every wire and tube that ran to the front or back of the car. The cutting job took about a week and the car still drives perfect, and can turn much sharper now as well as fit into a smaller parking space. We will be painting it this week and then start the next car. I digitized the window ledges with a ROMER arm and put them in Rhino as a digital file then lofted a window with a compound shape and added eyelids to it for the windshield, converted this in RhinoCam to a NC file and this was then sent to my 3-D router and a Jelutong plug was carved and used as a vacuum form “plug” to “pull” the tinted plastic widows for the car, as raising the top removed any possibility of the stock windows fitting back in the car ever again. It is a long and dusty job but then why else would I love it so much. This car will be feature in a book I am writing that should be out next year along with the film. BTW Jay Leno sent me the job. Thanks Jay!
Eddie Paul
Old 01-21-2006, 08:32 PM

Default Your having TOO much fun!!

Eddie
I think your having to much fun doing this!!

I'll be down in a couple of week's!!!

Someday, I'll learn how to use all of these tool's, but then I'll have to build a bigger shop, so each tool has it's own space!

Leaving a surplus store, or a garage sale with an empty truck, is a sign of a sick mind.........
Old 01-21-2006, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Paul
We will be painting it this week and then start the next car. I digitized the window ledges with a ROMER arm and put them in Rhino as a digital file then lofted a window with a compound shape and added eyelids to it for the windshield, converted this in RhinoCam to a NC file and this was then sent to my 3-D router and a Jelutong plug was carved and used as a vacuum form “plug” to “pull” the tinted plastic widows for the car, as raising the top removed any possibility of the stock windows fitting back in the car ever again. It is a long and dusty job but then why else would I love it so much. This car will be feature in a book I am writing that should be out next year along with the film. BTW Jay Leno sent me the job. Thanks Jay!
Eddie Paul
Sound's like fun.
ahhh. ..h hhh, peer groups make the world go round.

As I said in another thread, I like Rhino. . .

It's great for modeling surfaces and all sorts of stuff.
It puts out good geometry you can build from, it's cheap. . .
I know the "boyz" over in the bugatti thread have solidworks on the brain,
I have been looking at it,
It is cool,
but,
What cad system do you normally run.
http://www.mettleworks.com
MetalMeet gallery page
Old 01-26-2006, 07:33 AM

I'm still with AutoCad 14 but haveing fun with Rhino and 3Dstudio max as well as getting a version of MasterCam to try out.
Eddie Paul