Metal Meet Forums  

Go Back   Metal Meet Forums > • Library ( Read Only Topics ) > Definitions

Definitions Please do not post in this forum

Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2005, 02:46 PM
MetalMeet Librarian/Advertising MetalMeet Librarian/Advertising is offline
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 54
Default General Metal Shaping Terms

Blank - The starting point of many sheet metal parts. Sometimes just a square or rectangle of flat sheet metal, other times a flat piece of sheet metal with the perimeter contoured to ease the fabrication process.

Blocking - a technique of creating a rough sheet metal shape by working the metal into a hollow. Some examples of a hollow are a dished out area in a piece of wood or stump, or a depression in a beater bag. Generally done by working the inside of the part from the outside edge towards the center. Sometimes referred to as hollowing.

Buck - a 3-dimensional representation of a part to be created. Can be created from wood, sheet metal, metal rod and fiberglass and sometimes Styrofoam insulation (not bead board type).

Flexible shape pattern - a template that captures surface shape information by conforming to the contours of the part. Created by overlapping layers of tape covering the area to be reproduced. Transfer tape is often used for the first layer against the part followed by layers of reinforced packing tape. Transfer tape is a low tack tape used by sign makers.

Planish - to smooth the surface irregularities in a sheet metal part. Originally done with repeated hammer blows over a post or hand held backing dolly or stake. Today frequently done with both hammers and slappers. English Wheels also planish as metal is rolled between the upper wheel and the anvils under pressure.. Impact planishing typically leaves marks in the metal while pressure planishing can result in a very smooth, if not polished, panel.

Raising - a technique of creating a rough sheet metal shape by working the metal over a forming stake, dolly or other solid shape. Generally done by working on the outside of the part from the center out towards the edges.

Station Buck - a buck made using a longitudinal bulkhead with the profile of the part, coupled with bulkheads placed perpendicular to the longitudinal bulkhead, spaced at intervals that best capture the shape of the part. The perpendicular bulkheads, called stations, are placed closest together when complex surface information needs to be captured and farther apart where there is less shape to convey. Relief holes are often placed in the stations to facilitate clamping and seeing the fit from the inside.

Tuck - a distortion at the edge of a sheet metal part, generated as a result of working the metal into a shape or intentionally using a tool to gather material creating a pucker. Sometimes referred to as ruffles, gathers, pucker or flute.

Last edited by MetalMeet Librarian/Advertising; 09-04-2005 at 03:13 PM. Reason: Edit definitions
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:44 AM.

Copyright image