PDA

View Full Version : Rods n Restos 2nd Annual Open House & International Metal Meet

jvo
03-06-2012, 10:17 PM
( I copied and pasted the info below from my North of 49 Metalmeet thread, and made up a thread with the proper title for Lyle's meet.) JVO

Hi guys, I went ahead and set a date for the metal meet. I was asked to pick a date asap for the cruise calander. I picked a date that didn't confict with any local events and had it posted in the cruise calander. I hope this date works for everyone and you can all make it out.

Announcement: April 21-22, 2012, Rods n' Restos 2nd Annual Open House & International Metal Meet.

Come join us for our 2nd annual open house. Attendees will have an opportunity to watch demonstrations and try some of the equipment in our shop. Attendees are recommended to bring gloves, ear and eye protection.
We are located on the north east corner of Glenmore Trail and Hwy 817. (6.5 kms south of Strathmore, Ab)

Lyle Vass
403-993-5553
www.rodsnrestos.ca

jvo
03-16-2012, 08:32 PM
Back to the top for this, and I'm posting this link into my North of 49 thread.

coldspot
03-17-2012, 05:44 PM
It's been a while since I have been to one of these and my 2 friends have never been so what can we expect?
Is there a project planned or can we practice some shrinking or ??
Sorry to be asking questions but we will try to be ready if we have an idea of what is planned.
Gord

jvo
03-17-2012, 05:54 PM
Last year, Lyle had a customer's '35 ( I think) Dodge humpback panel truck in his shop to work on. He made a bunch of patch panels for it, including complete sides front to back from the belt line down from scratch.
Bring something of your own, if you have a fender or something like that to work on.

rodsnrestos
03-24-2012, 07:38 PM
Hi guys, I don't have any projects planned yet. If someone has a small item to work on they can bring it in. I'm hoping to use most of the equipment to answer questions or try for yourself.

Thanks
Lyle

jvo
03-25-2012, 07:36 PM
Looks like we are pretty slow at work, so it looks like I will be able to make it. If nothing else, I will bring one or two of the model A fenders with me that I bought from Rustbucket on Canadian Rodder the morning before last year's meet at Lyle's place. They have a bunch of cracks and dents in them, but are very repairable, and we can make some new patch panels for them as well.

doug_walter2002
03-26-2012, 10:51 AM
I'm starting to think these events are scheduled so I can't come. I'm on six weeks holiday and this event is scheduled for the day after I need to be back at work. Last years meet was 2 days before I started a months holiday. Maybee next year. In the mean time I'm enjoying the sunshine in Arizona, I went by to see Steve at Industrial Chassis last week
(EL Polacko) and got to see some of the neat stuff he has going on. His Helve hammer is a work of art, and works too. Got to run, the pool is calling my name.

jvo
03-26-2012, 11:13 AM
Too bad you can't make it Doug. Life gets in the way of having a good time some of the time. I was going to the Madera meet also, till the dates got changed. Good thing is I was just about to push the enter button on my flight and it would have been a non-refundable deal, but I was planning on travelling with Alec McPherson and I figured I better check with him first, so we would get to the airport at roughly the same time for the rental car. Glad I waited.
There is always next year.
Gord from Regina hasn't been able to make it the past couple years, but he's able to come this year.
That's just the way life is sometimes. Geez, didn't John Prine write a song about that?

anders nørgaard
03-26-2012, 11:25 AM
Doug & John,

Come on over to the Viking Meet. It would be a pleasure to have you here!!! :)

doug_walter2002
03-26-2012, 05:11 PM
Anders, A european trip is hopefully in the not too distant future, so a Viking meet is not out of the question. After 30 plus years with nose to the grindstone my wife and I have a lot of missed travel to catch up on. Still not retired but we are getting about 4 months a year off now.

jvo
03-26-2012, 10:28 PM
I would love to come to the Viking meet, but...... I have a jillion relatives in Holland, and I have only been there once, in 1989 for a family reunion. If I were to bypass them I'm not sure I'd be welcome there again. But I think I will someday anyway, maybe do both. If I live long enough.

anders nørgaard
03-26-2012, 10:38 PM
Anders, A european trip is hopefully in the not too distant future, so a Viking meet is not out of the question. After 30 plus years with nose to the grindstone my wife and I have a lot of missed travel to catch up on. Still not retired but we are getting about 4 months a year off now.

Doug,
4 months a year of :) :) :) I wish that was me. I'd play all the time!! :) ;)

I would love to come to the Viking meet, but...... I have a jillion relatives in Holland, and I have only been there once, in 1989 for a family reunion. If I were to bypass them I'm not sure I'd be welcome there again. But I think I will someday anyway, maybe do both. If I live long enough.

John,
Think about it this way: The Viking Meet ALWAYS takes place Friday in week 25 thru Tuesday in week 26... that's just a few days and the Netherlands is "just around the corner" compared to Denmark.

You would both be very welcome!!!

Sorry for cluttering your thread John. I'll clean it up later ;)

jvo
04-05-2012, 09:19 PM
Back to the top, only a few weeks to go.

coldspot
04-16-2012, 07:10 PM
Looks like just me coming now. The other two guys had work issues.

Any hints for a hotel?
I would like to bring a bike fender to get some ideas on fixing it if that would be ok.
Gord

jvo
04-16-2012, 09:36 PM
Gord, there is a super 8 in Strathmore that was cheap and clean that Alec and I stayed in last year. Reasonably priced too, I think about 80 bucks a night. See you there this weekend.

coldspot
04-17-2012, 09:40 PM
Thanks
I will book into the super 8.
Gord

rodsnrestos
04-19-2012, 08:02 AM
Hi guys, just curious how many metal meeter's are coming down for the weekend. Only a few days to go.

I've got a few small projects planned so far (door skins and floor pans for 31 model A coupe, and make a few bowls). A few people are bringing projects as well. So hopefully we can make a few things and learn a few things.

Thanks
Lyle
www.rodsnrestos.ca (http://www.rodsnrestos.ca)

jvo
04-19-2012, 10:48 PM
Well, if you have a few projects planned, I won't bother bringing my model A fenders. I need to make a new drivers side door skin for my truck, so the project you have planned is perfect. As far as I know, I am the only one in my circle of acquaintances that is coming. See you Saturday morning.

coldspot
04-20-2012, 07:36 PM
I am in town, what time are starting?
Any interest in meeting for breakfast
Gord

jvo
04-20-2012, 09:54 PM
Gord, I won't be leaving home in Lethbridge till about 7:00 AM or so. Lyle lives South of Strathmore, so I will have breakfast here before I leave. I should be there about 9:00 AM. Last year Lyle had LOTS of donuts and muffins and cookies and coffee and juice, etc. See you then.

jvo
04-22-2012, 04:28 PM
Just got home from Lyle's and a good time was had by all. We did a lot of bench racing, and Lyle showed us all how to use all his tools. He also walked us thoroughly through making a model A doorskin, including the two reveals below the window.
Lyle also helped Gord Williams ( Coldspot) do a motorcycle fender repair.
There were a lot of people through the shop in the past two days, and I took a few pics. I'll try to put some words to the photos to describe what is shown here. The first few pics are of Lyle's house and shop, and some of the vehicles parked outside at various times.

jvo
04-22-2012, 04:32 PM
This shots are of the humpback panel truck that Lyle was working on last year when we were there. Its a customer's truck, and he had to make the whole thing new from the belt line down. The body was sandblasted by "another shop" and was in really bad shape. The upper panels were warped quite badly and have been straightened out, but still need some finessing to get to where he is happy with them.

jvo
04-22-2012, 04:38 PM
Gord's motorcycle fender with Lyle at the helm.

Also some more pics of a customer's Porsche. It had a lot of crappy work done to it also by another shop.

jvo
04-22-2012, 04:58 PM
And a 31 model A, that was ALSO botched badly by another shop. It was in primer when his customer brought it to him to fit the doors, but the doors wouldn't fit into the openings. He had to strip it to find the botched repairs, then had to make the call to the customer to give him the bad news. The top chop was just awful. There are a couple pieces on the roof of the car from the old chop, but I didn't take good enough pics of those pieces to do it justice. Anyway, it sure looks nice now.

Rick (madera)
04-22-2012, 06:48 PM
Looks like a great time!:D

coldspot
04-22-2012, 08:15 PM
It was most definitely a great time.
My goal is to become a passable TIG welder by next meet.
Thanks Lyle for the lesson.
Great pictures John. I will see what's in my camera.
Gord

anders nørgaard
04-22-2012, 09:39 PM
Thanks fo showing the pics John! :):):) Looks like you had a good time. :D

Hotrod1932
04-23-2012, 10:11 AM
Very neat John thanks for the pictures! Looks like Lyle's place was a great place to have this meet. A great big ATTA BOY Lyle.