PDA

View Full Version : Question for RichardK

Flattracker94
03-04-2012, 10:47 AM
Been surfing this thumbnail shrink die section for a few months and planing to machine 2 different shrink die sets for myself. Just wanted to ask richardk what size dowel pin you used in your die blue print and why did you decide to use a screw to hold that pin in place vs. TIG welding the pin ? Thanks guys for answering my questions and helping me along with my B&M machine. Curtis

Dawai
03-04-2012, 02:20 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmZ32l86Gxs

I did a video on me making mine, I tig welded the thumb.
Not tried them out yet. There was a set of plans online at one time.
I may still have a sketch if you need me to hunt it. (maybe done in crayon)

Has anyone went through the "tuning" procedure yet with prussian blue dye?

Overkill
03-04-2012, 04:34 PM
To get the top and bottom of my thumbnail set aligned, I use clay. Putting clay in, turning the machine over by hand, I can then cut the clay in half and see if there are tight spots. I move the lower die forward or back accordingly in my Pullmax. I would think a similar technique could be used when tuning new dies.

Bill Gibson
03-04-2012, 08:19 PM
I welded the thumb on mine as well......I just cut the rod on an angle and welded it onto the top of the die...
I saw a set that tt. made and he drilled a hole on an angle in inserted a rod in it and welded the end of the rod where it protruded out of the front of the die, but not on the top where it does the work.

I also made a linear stretch die for my planishing hammer by welding a piece of drill rod on top of a mild steel die base.

kit
03-05-2012, 03:44 AM
I used a 16mm (5/8'') pin and welded mine in. Chrome moly salvaged from an old hyraulic ram for the 'body' and from a once quite long chisel shank that is getting ever shorter each project for the pin.

Dawai
03-05-2012, 04:24 AM
Not sure where Richard is these days, I think he has became a national traveling playboy. He had internet girlfriends all over the country. He is another of them metal-genius'es we don't hear enough from. Kinda a odd character tho. Ever now and then we talk on the phone.

What was interesting was Tom,( snicker, Richard is such a character), came back with a new "home design" made from two "chain links", cut one into a open end loop, the other on the other die he turned up on it's side like the thumb.

With the smooth chainlink rod, it shrunk. the two horseshoe shaped "cut" links on side closed the tuck as you withdrew it from the machine. It didn't mark a whole lot either.

Some designs work much better than others, looks like the ones that gather the tuck without doing a lot of stretching the metal, and closes it without "banging" together too hard and stretching the metal.. then there are some designs that barely shrink at all.

Looking at that took me off on a adventure "roll tuck forming" where two angled rollers squeezed a tuck in between them over a rounded tipping roller, not stretching the metal at all, then.. closing up the tucks by various means, one rolling them shut. "quiet method"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyTl10E_tSs

If you look at various clamp jigs, tucking fixtures on youtube, "tuck forming" "holding the tuck sides together as you close it, is one way of getting a great shrink, That is why taking a hammer and "denting" the end of the tuck helps shrink, it holds the end of the sheet closed.

The other day I was desperate and my shoulder was talking ugly to me, I tried hand tucking and running it through the helve to shrink. It worked some, but the uhmw dies were spitting plastic at me.. Eroding fast. before that I thought I could hand tuck with forks and close it up with plain plastic dies.. it would, but not for long.

Hairy-Neil
03-05-2012, 12:34 PM
Richard still looks in on us regularly but hasn't posted since november.