PDA

View Full Version : Gatormeet 2012

gator 1
02-13-2012, 09:00 AM
Here are the dates for the 2012 Gatormeet.

May 11,12,13 2012

Address is ..

5916 Laurel court
Adamstown Maryland 21710
Cell…240-674-2101

I have 3 acres so parking and camping are no problem.
I have a moderate equipped shop but bring any equipment you want. No projects as of yet but have plenty of things to do. If you want to bring your own project that’s fine. If your project is larger than a hood please let me know in advance.

This will be a Friday thru Sunday event. Come for 1 hour or all three days.
We will serve lunch and dinner Saturday and lunch Sunday. Friday will be a fend for yourself. Might try and work something in for dinner Friday

Cost ……FREE. All donations will be accepted.

Please bring your own safety equipment. As the date gets closer I will set some projects up.

I would like a head count so I know how much food to get..

There are plenty of hotels in Frederick Maryland about 10 minutes away..

More to follow……Gator

Rick (madera)
02-13-2012, 09:03 AM
Gator, you forgot to post the date!:lol:

gator 1
02-13-2012, 09:18 AM
Must be getting ol..lol

John Buffinton
02-13-2012, 08:09 PM
Wish I could make this year, I am over here again. I hope that there is one in 2013, would like to see everyone.
To those who have never been to Gators meet, I highly recommend it; he and his family are great people. They are very accommodating and generous; they treat everyone like they are guests to their house. The projects are many and Gator has every tool on earth. The people who show up are also really experienced and willing to share.
I hope you guys have a great time and it goes well for Gator.
John

john soko
02-16-2012, 06:18 AM
Gator, Pencil me in. I always learn a lot from you and the folks that attend
your gatherings, plus appreciate all of your hospitality. Thanks for the
invite.

john

Model A Bill
02-16-2012, 01:46 PM
Could you pencil me in if there is still room ??

Flattracker94
03-10-2012, 10:54 AM
I will will try and make it saturday for the day/night. May have 2 other with me. I will know more come end of april.

jcarpenter
03-10-2012, 12:17 PM
Gator,

I'll be there start to finish.

jlrussell4
03-10-2012, 12:18 PM
The Gator Meet has always been on my bucket list. I'm still trying to work it out. I'd really like to meet some of the mid-atlantic guys I've not yet met, as well as the ones I do know.

gator 1
03-20-2012, 01:02 PM
Under 2 months to go.. Got the cookies and ready to go....

slobitz18222
03-20-2012, 05:25 PM
Gator,
Harold and I are gonna make an honest attempt to get there this year. Every one I talk to raves about your deal.

Hotrod1932
03-20-2012, 06:21 PM
Rick I would truly love to make one of your meets but this one just is not in the cards for me. However over the years you have done so much and contributed so much to metalmeet please let me know how best we might be able to help and I will certainly take it up with the BOD.

Rick like so many of the metalmeet family put these get together's on and they are so important in the learning and sharing of information which is after all the life blood of this craft, and of metalmeet itself.

exline
03-22-2012, 12:17 PM
i am glad to see that you will be doing the meet this year! i will plan on being there all 3 days. I will probably bring my fender and buck with me again.

kenny

Model A Bill
04-11-2012, 03:18 PM
I am thinking about bringing my english wheel back to make a lower tool arm and legs for it can use some help. Let me know or send me a PM please.

gator 1
04-24-2012, 12:54 PM
less than 3 weeks to go. Started cleaning the shop. Its funny, no matter how much you clean it never gets done. O well, looking forward to seeing everyone agian...Gator

anders nørgaard
04-24-2012, 01:40 PM
less than 3 weeks to go. Started cleaning the shop. Its funny, no matter how much you clean it never gets done. O well, looking forward to seeing everyone agian...Gator

I guess shops are the same, no matter which side of the Pond you live :D ;)

Have a great meeting.

Bohnhed
04-25-2012, 05:14 AM
I'll be there on Fri and at least one of the two weekend days. Though primarily not a metalman at the shop I am interested in planishing and using the shrinking disc.

gator 1
05-02-2012, 07:36 AM
About 1 week to go. Shop 3/4 ready. I have a ford 8n tractor to make some panels for.

I also have a s10 blazer to fix some rust on. It is a customer car that im doing for free. Hes a army vet and has limited money. I am doing this for free to help pay him back for serving our country. he was in nam and served a couple of tours.

Needs lower quarter patches, rear window repair and some other small items. This will be the meet project. Any and all who want to be involved are welcome. Would be nice to finish the metal work over the meet. And did i tell you we are making all panels and not buying anything.

There are hard panels to make and some easy panels also. A skill level for everyone.

Anyone else that wants to bring something to work on we will have room. If its bigger than a hood or door please let me know so i can make room.

For anyone new to a meet heres how it works at my place.

Always free to attend an hour or the whole time.

Join in or watch and learn. Joining in is always more fun.

If theres something you want to learn we will find someone to teach it or learn it together.

A donation jar will be placed in the shop so feel free too help offset the costs. The costs being the tent, food, material, porta john, and welding supplies.

I will be serving lunch and dinner saturday and breakfast snacks all weekend.
Friday eve is fend for your self or depending on how many people we may do pizza.
New this year is a 30 x 45 tent for eating, bench shaping or just a break from the fun.
I also hope to have my new toy running for the meet but not sure yet. Its a plasma cam cnc plasma cutter. Machine is assembeled and software up and running but i still have to wire the torch up and get some vent duckwork installed.
There are a lot of metalworking videos and metalworking books for your review.

Any questions please feel free to post or call me at 240-674-2101.

I promise you wont be sorry you came.

As with every meet please bring your saftey gear and any tools you want. PLEASE MARK ALL YOUR GEAR AND TOOLS.

I dont have every thing tool wise but enough to get us through the weekend.

I have had several people ask about learning to tig weld. Any one willing to help in this area would be great.

There is no age requirements or gender limitations at the Gatormeet. All are welcome. Leave all political and policy issues at the door and have a great time, I get very busy during the meet so if i havent said hi or got a chance to talk to you dont be shy. Come on up and introduce yourself.

Looking forward to seeing old friends and make some new ones...Gator

gator 1
05-03-2012, 08:38 AM
Menu for saturday..

Hamburgers, hot dogs and hot beef for lunch

Fried chicken, hot beef and burgers an dogs for diner.

We will have sweet tea, sodas and water all weekend. There will be pastry and doughnuts for breakfast and snacks all day.

We may have a mystery meet if i can find where i put the shotgun shells....lol..

1 week from friday..

I tend to get very busy at the meets showing people where everything is and how to run equipment. I always plan on lots of pictures but when everything is over i find i never got any taken. If some of you can take lots of photos and post them it would be great. Anyone who puts on a meet like this can tell you how busy the host can get.

Later Gator

gator 1
05-04-2012, 06:44 AM
Its getting close now. Anyone that has anything to sell feel free to bring it and post it in this thread so people coming can bring money...

Whos bringing projects?

Are there anything you would like to learn or get a group of people to try...I ask this so i can be sure to have supplies for....

later Gator

v2cad
05-05-2012, 06:00 AM
Gator
I'm planning to get there Thursday afternoon/evening. I'm bringing a couple projects & a couple friends. See you next week.

J

slobitz18222
05-05-2012, 06:57 PM
Just checked out my schedual and find that Mothers day throws a monkey wrench in my plans. In my excitement to get to gators I never checked the date. My bad!!!

john soko
05-06-2012, 04:13 AM
Stan, The Jalopyshowdown at EMMR is Saturday (May 19). How does that look
on your calendar?

john

exline
05-08-2012, 06:43 PM
i am ready for this weekend, i will bring my fender project or some other small project to work on. look forward to seeing everyone again.

kenny

gator 1
05-11-2012, 01:29 PM
Day 1... 4 pm and 19 people. Great group and great weather. I hope someone posts pics soon and i will post what i took next week...Your missing a great one...Gator

oldgoaly
05-11-2012, 02:12 PM
Rick!
What no pics:eek: no fair!!!! I wish I was there! and or at Ron's but 1/2 done cleaning up storm damage, lots of firewood.

jcarpenter
05-11-2012, 04:53 PM
Gator,

I had a great time today. Bill Gibson walked us through a reverse bend tutorial for a Model A patch panel. Awesome. A lot of people and a lot going on. I had planned to go again tomorrow and Sunday but my mother-in-law's care takers are feeling stressed and want me down in southern Virginia to help out. Thanks Gator!

Bill Gibson
05-11-2012, 08:35 PM
I had a great time today... Catching up with folks. Sharing some info and learning a bit along the way... Kirk helped out on the reverse as well, his new plannishing hammer and awesome set of dies was a huge help for fine tuning the transition.
tt. I had two cameras with me and didn't take a single picture !!!!! there was rarely a time when I didn't have a tool in my hand...Well.. except when I had a pizza in my hand.
Thanks Gator for putting on a great meet..!!!!!

john soko
05-13-2012, 03:35 PM
Many thanks to Gator, his immediate and extended family for another super great
meet. It seems like just being there and metalshaping info was oozing out all over the
place. Gator's hospitality is TOP SHELF all the way. And thanks to all that attended
and shared their skills.

On Saturday a really cool looking homebuilt roadster rolled in. Previously owned by
Robert E. Lee III, it was called a '37 Chey "Traveler" (named after General Lee's horse).
Sometimes it's the little tid-bits like this that make the lasting impression and you drive
home feeling good about the whole meet.

Steve Hamilton
05-13-2012, 08:37 PM
ALL those people and no cameras!!!!!:(:(

Now you have us all confused, we need pictures.:confused:

Ya I know you were having so much fun that you forget to take pictures!!!:D

Good to hear that the meet was a success.

Steve

RockHillWill
05-14-2012, 03:46 AM
Sorry that I missed the meet this year. It is definately one of the good ones. Been busy on a restoration project that will be done in a month.

I agree with Steve, 'where's the pictures'? Would love to see some pics, but will probably make me feel worse for not being there.

bigdog91ab
05-15-2012, 07:51 AM
A BIG thank you to Gator and Danielle for hosting a GREAT meet not only for myself but my family as well. If you have not been lucky enough to attend a meet it might be hard to understand how great the people are from these forums, differnces and opinions aside, people get along like family. The things you learn just by watching, asking questions or diving right in, is just amazing! I hope people that were new to the meet will post their experience. Again many thanks to Gator and Danielle and their family and friends for such a great meet! Already looking foward to next year. Thanks Bryan,Tami & Holli

Strum
05-18-2012, 07:14 AM
I just wanted to share what my dad and I where working on at Gatormeet last weekend.

This was my first meet ever. I had a really good time metal shaping and meeting so many great people. Thanks again to Bill and Kirk for all the help on my projects. Also, thank you to Gator and his family for the incredible hospitality. I am already looking forward to the next Gatormeet.

jlrussell4
05-18-2012, 08:05 AM
You did a nice job Eric. Bill, Kirk, Gator and all of those guys in the Mid Atlantic area are great people and always a lot of help.

I wish I could have made it up there.

Bill Gibson
05-18-2012, 08:15 PM
Cool Eric, Looks like that panel worked out well. And I'm glad you go the tool box finished... It was fun working with you on those...