View Full Version : Santa Cruz Memorial weekend May 28-29 2011

Rick (madera)
03-24-2011, 09:19 AM
SANTA CRUZ METALMEET
MEMORIAL WEEKEND
MAY 28-29 2011
3rd annual

http://www.metalmeet.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=34&pictureid=3874

John Forbes called me this moring and told everything was a go! It will be held in the Redwoods of Santa Cruz again.
Ron Covell and Lazze have agreed again to join in. We will be limiting it to 50 people, first come first serve:smile:. We have lots of room for small projects .John Forbes has a shear, Pullmax, Bandsaw,E-wheel. I will bring my trailer again with E-wheel, Bammbamm, thumbnail shrinker, lancaster shrinker/stretcher, Mechammer,deep throat bead roller and my new beadroller.
If you have any machines you would like to bring that will be fine, but we don't have any way of unloading any heavy machines.

It will start on Saturday at 9:00
We will supply breakfast pastries, lunch with soft drinks both days

For those who have never been to a meet you are in for a treat! This is a hands on event. Lots of demos, With 2 of the BEST and NICEST metalshapers in the Country!

Their will be a $40 charge to help cover expenses for the weekend.
If you would like to attend you can mail me a check or pay with paypal.

RICK SCOTT
1632 JEFFERSON AVE
MADERA, CA. 93637
(1-559-661-4214)

PAYPAL:
RSCOTTMFG@SBCGLOBAL.NET

John Forbes
7258 Empire Grade
Santa Cruz, Ca. 95060

welderboy
03-24-2011, 09:55 AM
This sounds awesome....maybe my friend Randy will take me!

Rick (madera)
03-24-2011, 10:43 AM
here is a map link.
just a note: the road from Felton is very narrow and widing

http://maps.yahoo.com/dd#mvt=m&lat=37.011907&lon=-122.093755&zoom=13&tt=7258%20Empire%20grade%2C%20Santa%20cruz%2Cca.%2 095060&tp=1&q1=7258%20Empire%20Grade%2CSanta%20Cruz%2C%20Ca.%2 095060&gid1=21577891

Pete's Metalshaping
03-24-2011, 11:38 AM
just a note: the road from Felton is very narrow and widing

Rick, the road can't be that narrow, you've driven it towing your car trailer. :D

Rick (madera)
03-24-2011, 04:37 PM
Rick, the road can't be that narrow, you've driven it towing your car trailer. :D

Yes! but I was in both lanes:o

DanGunit
03-24-2011, 06:10 PM
WooHoo....Can't Wait!!:D

My wife was actually Mad at me last year since I couldn't get off work to go, she really loves the area. She made me take her up there for new years to make it up to her.:rolleyes:

Cheers,

ShawnMarsh
03-24-2011, 07:05 PM
Sounds awesome! Last year was a lot of fun, but I'll bring it up to the wife after this weekend in SLO to see how she does.

I have no idea how you managed that road with that trailer, there are 10mph hairpin turns with a cliff on one side, a mountain on the other, and redwoods towering over. It was a fun drive, but not with a trailer!

I live about 10 minutes from the San Jose airport, and about 30 minutes from John Forbes, so if anyone is going to fly in and needs a ride, let me know.

CRCRFT78
03-24-2011, 07:30 PM
I'm definately in again this year.

007fab0
03-27-2011, 08:32 PM
I'm in, Shawn Tommie.. The Check is in the mail..

welderboy
03-27-2011, 10:36 PM
I sent you my money. This sounds like a cool meet to attend!

matt
03-28-2011, 04:09 PM
Just curious where everyone is staying. Looking for a place that is priced right, not too far away, and where some fellow attendees might be. I attended the event last weekend in San Luis Obispo, had a blast, and am looking forward to meeting more of you guys (and gals) in Santa Cruz.
-Matt

DanGunit
03-28-2011, 08:24 PM
Matt,

Both times we have gone up we stayed at the Quality Inn and Suites in Ben Lamond, it's not cheap, (nothing in the area really is) but fair. We were happy both times and we are booked there again. It is tucked back in the redwoods, was recently renovated so it is very comfortable, is only a few minutes drive from the meet, and it's very close to some good resturants.

kenc
03-30-2011, 01:02 PM
Rick,

I was there two years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. I missed last year and would love to come this year - all depends how my wife gets on - shattered her leg skiing.

Are you going to post a list of attendees so I know when I need to make a decision? Limited to 40 people right?

If I come, I'll bring my 57 front door with me so that someone can guide me through shaping and fitting a replacement skin.

ken

matt
03-31-2011, 12:18 PM
Booked in at the Ben Lomond Quality Inn.

BAILEIGH INC
03-31-2011, 02:57 PM
This sounds awesome....maybe my friend Randy will take me!

Better take pics!

Rick (madera)
04-06-2011, 09:32 AM
Just a reminder to bring your safty gear.
Gloves, safty glasses, hearing protection,welding hood
with the amount of people a chair would be nice also

Rick (madera)
04-19-2011, 09:31 AM
I got an email and someone couldn't find this post so I thought I would bring it back up:)

Rick (madera)
04-20-2011, 06:12 PM
If you have any requests of something you would like to see, just let me know.
Or if you would like to put on a demo let me know also
Jere Kirkpatrick is a henrob dealer and will be putting on a demo:smile:

doug_walter2002
04-20-2011, 08:45 PM
I'm hoping to make it but a couple of things have to fall into place before I can commit for sure.

rokcrln
04-21-2011, 06:48 PM
I got an email and someone couldn't find this post so I thought I would bring it back up:)

This is true but now I am here:D Talked to the wife and her and my almost 4yr old will be in town for the meet but my wife and sone will be hanging out in Down Town SC both days while I am up with the rest of you playing again. Last year was great and I look forward to more.
Payment sent via Pay-Pal as "gift"

Kevin
LFD Inc.

Farrell
04-23-2011, 03:07 PM
Rick, do we need to bring our own material,(as far as sheetmetal?)

Rick (madera)
04-23-2011, 08:46 PM
John Forbes will have some available

Pins&Needles
04-25-2011, 08:03 AM
Hey Rick!
I'll be attending both days as well! Can't wait! ... by the way would anyone be interested in doing a "tool exchange"?

I have some custom made leather shot bags and leaf spring material that I would love to throw into the lot.

Thanks,
Chris

Rick (madera)
04-25-2011, 08:26 AM
That sounds like a plan!
I will start a new thread on it
glad you can make it again Chris!

rokcrln
05-04-2011, 06:46 PM
Well my family and my self will be in town Fri-Mon. Figured why not make a family trip out of it at the same time so we are staying in Ben Lomond at Jaye’s Timberlane Resort. This way my wife and 3 3/4yr old son can play and swim or head out for day trip while I am playing with all of you guys again. We are only bring up one car so I may see if I can hitch a ride from some of the others staying in Ben Lomond or my wife and son can drop me off and pick me up each day so they can have the car for day trips. Looking forward to another fun trip at MM.

Kevin
LFD Inc.

Overkill
05-05-2011, 12:38 PM
This is an open pitch to those of you that haven't signed up yet.

As with all meets, you'll get out of it what you put into it. Rick's meet, held at John Forbes place get's you more bang for your buck than about anything else you can do in a weekend.

In addition to the many skilled metal shapers that attend, you get the likes of Ron and Lazze who are giving away their time and skills. Not sure if you've looked at the prices of classes these days, but this is just flat a steal.

You get to see and use more tools and machines than you'll normally find. Thinking about a planishing hammer? Rick will have his Mechhammer there. Thinking about a power hammer - try out his Bamm Bamm. English wheel - Lazze's, John's will be there and others have shown up on the past as well. Shrinker - Lazze's will be there, and I'll have the group build machine along.

You'll be able to see some of John Forbes work http://www.bdartglass.com/bdartglass/welcome.html. Michael Leeds of Blastoleen Bros. fame http://www.blastolene.com/Blastolene_Cars.htm showed up last year on Roadkill, the V8 trike. The list is much longer than this, but you get my drift.

I could go on with the sales pitch, but I think you get my drift. For the price, this is as good as it gets. I'm surprised the event hasn't sold out yet.

John

rokcrln
05-05-2011, 08:13 PM
John, I could not agree more with everything you said. $40 for a weekend and you get help from the best in the biz as well as many very talented people who just love metal shaping. I just signed up for Ron's class he is holding in September for $380 for 2 days and it is a lecture style class and well worth the money (my 3rd Covell class so far) but for $40 at this meet you are hands on with hands on help from the best. Even if some of you can only make it for 1 day the $40 is still way cheap!

Kevin
LFD Inc.

Overkill
05-05-2011, 08:49 PM
I made mention of other metal shapers that show up - you were included in that list. I had the pleasure of watching Kevin's work ethic, and abilities at last years event. Ron Covell brought his buck for a cut down 32 grill. Kevin had one roughed out in minimal time. He also brought his quarter size roadster, which was impressive in itself. One of these days I hope to get by his shop and see the coupe he's working on.

I'm looking forward to seeing you again.

John

jvo
05-05-2011, 09:00 PM
We had a blast last year, but unfortunately its not in the cards for me this year. Keep up the tradition and I'll try to make it down next year. Have fun again guys.
Bob and I came from a long ways away, and it was worth every penny it cost, and we spent a heck of a lot more than $40.00 to get there.

rokcrln
05-05-2011, 10:32 PM
I made mention of other metal shapers that show up - you were included in that list. I had the pleasure of watching Kevin's work ethic, and abilities at last years event. Ron Covell brought his buck for a cut down 32 grill. Kevin had one roughed out in minimal time. He also brought his quarter size roadster, which was impressive in itself. One of these days I hope to get by his shop and see the coupe he's working on.

I'm looking forward to seeing you again.

John
Thanks John I might bring my son's 1/2 scale RPU this year for a work project for others to help out on so maybe it might get done some year. Here are a few pics.

We had a blast last year, but unfortunately its not in the cards for me this year. Keep up the tradition and I'll try to make it down next year. Have fun again guys.
Bob and I came from a long ways away, and it was worth every penny it cost, and we spent a heck of a lot more than $40.00 to get there.
I'v got cookies if you make it from my wife!!

Farrell
05-06-2011, 06:36 PM
Thanks John I might bring my son's 1/2 scale RPU this year for a work project for others to help out on so maybe it might get done some year. Here are a few pics.

I'v got cookies if you make it from my wife!!
Dang, your the coolest Dad ever, that's really neat.
Max.

welderboy
05-08-2011, 09:28 PM
Can not wait to come meet new people! My friend Randy has made the ultimate hook up for me to bring the wife and kids and I think this is gonna be off the charts cool!

Overkill
05-14-2011, 10:07 AM
I did a quick Google search, and the closest one to the event that came up is www.santacruzranchrv.com 831-438-1288. When I called today, they only had two sites left after I booked mine. Three night minimum, $60/night.

I think there are some state and county parks in the area with camping, but for Memorial Day weekend, they are likely all booked. I didn't check.

Towns to search, beginning with the closest are Felton (small), Ben Lomond (small), Scotts Valley (med.), Santa Cruz (larger). From the highway, you have to drive through Scotts Valley and Felton to get to the site.

Santa Cruz is a beach destination town with an outdoor mall area in the downtown with resturants. They have a wharf with dinning as well. The Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk will likely be busy for the weekend, but if you have kids with you, they'll like the rides.

As a beach destination, and holiday weekend, you can figure traffic on Hwy 17, 1 and 101 will get crowded into town mid morning, and out of town late afternoon.

Because of the holiday weekend, I'd suggest getting reservations sooner rather than later. Most are requiring 3 night stays, but I talked the following into two nights (Fri and Sat.). No guarantees.

Motels that have rooms as of today:
Quality Inn Ben Lomond 831-336-2262 (quoted $240 for two nights, two people)
Best Western Scotts Valley 831-438-6666 (quoted $340 for two nights two people)

Cheaper available in Santa Cruz, but some of the places are older and...

Overkill
05-14-2011, 09:06 PM
Kent White, www.tinmantech.com will be coming to the event.

Kent will be bringing his Air Power Hammer http://www.tinmantech.com/html/pwrhmr_tm-multi_post.php and several air units (motors) http://www.tinmantech.com/html/little_powerhouse_air_hammer_units.php.

Kent will also be bringing a Meco torch and doing a oxy acet aluminum welding demo. https://www.tinmantech.com/html/welding.php

If there are any of his products that you'd like to buy, I suppose he'd be willing to bring those as well and save you some shipping costs.

Rick (madera)
05-15-2011, 08:29 AM
WOW:o Ron Covell, Lazze, & Kent White. It just gets better and better:)

Rick (madera)
05-15-2011, 12:19 PM
This is a reminder to bring your personal gear.
gloves
hearing protection
safty glasses
welding hood
welding googles
gloves
chair
CAMERA

Overkill
05-15-2011, 01:40 PM
Hearing protection is going to be a must, as the Air Power Hammer, planishing hammers, etc, are going to make some noise. Kent's bringing a new air unit that is capable of forming 1/8" stainless.

Rick (madera)
05-24-2011, 08:23 AM
just a reminder about your safty gear also
NO PETS OR ALCOHOL ALLOWED
Thanks for your cooperation

welderboy
05-24-2011, 02:55 PM
I really was excited to come to MM but think it is best I stay home and work. I have an art show that I need to get ready for June 17-19. and have to also keep up with my normal work. I was hoping Baileigh was gonna pay my way to bring my hammer...and let you guys demo it... Any of you guys coming from the north are welcome to stop by and be sure to call if you need any help when in Southern Oregon. What a whale of a time you guys are gonna have! Thanks, Mike:(

Overkill
05-24-2011, 05:55 PM
Sorry that you can't make it Mike. I was hoping that Baileigh would step up and assist you with getting a hammer down here for all to see.

When I attended the meet in Oblong, if you stood around too long, Randy would put you to work on making Willy's parts. I think it was Jacob that was working on that fender. Got frustrated, but did a hell of a job and learned a lot. Mike, you could have people make flowers for you. ;)

Rick (madera)
05-24-2011, 06:44 PM
Sorry to hear about that Mike. We will get you a refund.

Also I have got a few emails and PM. wanting to know if they should bring a poject and tools. YES! If you have a small project please bring it to work on. With over 40 members signed up the more tools we have the better off we will be. So if in doubt, bring it

Overkill
05-25-2011, 09:43 PM
Just curious as to who is bringing projects and what the projects are?

Also, is there a demo you can do to enlighten others?

As Rick said, bring your tools - even if you end up leaving them in the car, it would be good to have them with as many people as are coming.

Rick (madera)
05-26-2011, 05:21 PM
Well I have the trailer loaded, the fuel tanks topped off, and my bags packed!
I will be leaving in the morning and should be there after lunch some time:)

Overkill
05-27-2011, 07:30 AM
Those of you bringing projects might also think about bringing a table to work on, as space is kind of limited. EZ ups are also a good idea.

anders nørgaard
05-27-2011, 07:31 AM
Have a nice meeting guys!! :)

Tony Sanchez
05-27-2011, 09:36 AM
---I really hated missing this meet, but hopefully I can make the next one. Hope you guys have a great meet and post alot of photos.
---Tony

Pedalcar
05-27-2011, 01:16 PM
Have a great met guys,

say hallo to Ron from me..

Ben