PDA

View Full Version : Rods 'n Restos - North of 49 Regional MetalMeet

jvo
03-09-2011, 09:46 AM
Well, it looks like we are going to do it again this year after all. Just got off the phone with Lyle Vass of Rods 'n Restos and he has offered to do the meet this year. Dates will be April 16 and 17 at Lyle's shop, near Strathmore, AB. Lyle has a very well equipped shop that will be a lot of fun to visit and play in. Take a look at his website for contact info if you need to talk to him about anything before the meet.

Lyle's shop is located 6.5 kms South of Strathmore on # 817 highway and Glenmore Trail that runs East from Calgary. It is an easy access for us in any direction we may choose to come from. There are lots of motels and restaurants in Strathmore, and it is only about 25 miles East of Calgary.

Festivities will begin at 8:00 AM Saturday and continue through Sunday. Sorry we didn't get around to planning this any sooner. Hope everyone can still come.

Lyle does not want to charge an entry fee, and we'll just pass around a bucket for donations probably Saturday afternoon to offset any costs he may incur.

As I stated above, Lyle has a very well equipped shop including a Lazze bead roller and e-wheel ( I think). We should probably bring some more e-wheels if we are able to, depending of course on the response we receive. Extra beater bags as well, and anything else your heart may desire, we'll all have fun playing with each other's stuff. See you then.

Oh, I forgot to put Lyle's website in here. www.rodsnrestos.ca

doug_walter2002
03-09-2011, 05:39 PM
John your killing me, I don't ship my last barn until the 17th then I will have six weeks off.
I'll have to see if I can find someone to handle the farm for me. But I'm glad to see the meet is happening.

56_chev
03-09-2011, 07:58 PM
It sounds like fun to have the meet at Lyle's place. I should be able to make it. As it get's closer we can decide what extra stuff we might need to bring.

Alec Mcpherson

James(Western Canada)
03-10-2011, 08:20 AM
John: If I can figure out funding for travel, room, etc, I will be there.....

James

rodsnrestos
03-15-2011, 11:49 AM
Hi guys, I'm looking forward to hosting this years event. I've also decided to do an open house that weekend so anyone can come out and see some of the equipment running. Hopefully there will be a good turn out and everyone will have a chance to use all the equipment.

I've got a good assortment of tools and equipment. Ewheel, beadroller, powerhammer, trumph(pullmax), planishing hammer, brake, shear, louver press, etc. It probably would be a good idea to bring some extra stuff if possible (since I only have one of everything). Ewheels, bags, hammers etc. I have an overhead crane for unloading, so no worries there.

I haven't decided what to work on yet. I just got in a 36 chrysler humpback panel. I may try cut it apart and prepare it so we can make some panels for it. It needs alot of work and has some complex shapes (reverse curve door skins, rear corners, tailpanel, roof skin, etc.)

If your looking for somewhere to stay there is a Super 8 and Best Western located near hwy 1 and 817 in Strathmore. Which is an easy drive to my shop, plus there are restaurants, gas stations etc accross the street.

Hope to see you here.

Lyle
www.rodsnrestos.ca (http://www.rodsnrestos.ca)

jvo
04-12-2011, 08:44 PM
Back to the top. Who is planning on coming to this event? Only a few days away.

doug_walter2002
04-13-2011, 06:24 AM
I'm afraid I can't make it. if it had been a week later it would have worked out perfectly.
You guys will have to have fun without me. This year don't forget to take pictures.

James(Western Canada)
04-13-2011, 06:47 AM
John: Sadly, it's not in the budget right now. And I spoke to Ken L. last night, they are very busy up north, so he won't be attending either.

James

56_chev
04-13-2011, 07:23 PM
Hi John- I plan on being there. I'll call you tonite.
Alec McPherson

jvo
04-15-2011, 01:14 PM
Looks like I'll be able to make it also. I took a couple weeks off work to go with the grandkids to see Mickey and Minnie. Just got back last Monday, and wasn't sure I was gonna be able to go, as I'm working this weekend. As luck would have it, we got about 8 inches of that white wet stuff yesterday morning, and now its too muddy for us to do anything till next week sometime.
I'll be up there about 9 or 9:30 tomorrow morning. I have to buzz over to High River first and pick up 2 sets of model A fenders that I'm going to re-furbish for my truck. I am so done with anything made from glass fibres and resin. Might be working on these fenders a little on Saturday. Not sure what Lyle has in the shop, but we'll have fun playing with his tools anyway.
See ya there, for whoever shows up.

rodsnrestos
04-15-2011, 06:12 PM
Well I'm still trying to organize the shop, but will be ready one way or another. I managed to get a few panels made on the 36 chrysler humpback. So we can use them as templates to make the other side. I'm hoping to do a few demo's for everyone to watch.
I've had allot of interest from the local car clubs as well as several local hot rod / restoration shops. Should be a good mix of people coming out. Not sure how many are coming yet. I'm hoping a few people form the site make it.

Lyle

jvo
04-18-2011, 09:40 AM
A good time was had by all. We had a pretty good turnout Saturday morning. There were a bunch of guys came out for coffee and donuts, and we stood around and told lies for awhile. We didn't get to work, ( well, I should say Lyle, 'cause he started working and we started watching) till late morning.
A bunch of us went to the Roadhouse in Strathmore for a late lunch and came back and played till about 6 or 7 PM. There were some guys with cameras and I'm hoping they'll post pics, as I forgot my camera at home.
I want to thank Lyle for putting this on, and with a little luck, perhaps he will do it again next year. He's into his new shop and pretty much organized now. Nice place, and a very well equipped shop.

We were at it again Sunday morning, and I left about 2:00 PM, and there were still a few guys there working. Had a good time, and I'll go back next year if it happens again.

I got home Sunday night and promptly got on the computer and ordered up a stud gun welder with shrinking tip like Lyle uses. The side of that panel van had been badly warped ( by a different shop) from sandblasting inside and out, and we used a shrinking disc to start to take out some of the warpage. Problem was, when we touched the shrinking disc to the side of the panel, even with very slight pressure, it would buckle instantly from the warpage, hence we were not hitting the high spots with the shrinking disc.
Lyle got out his stud gun and removed some major warpage with the shrinking tip. It just blew me away. Made my whole weekend worthwhile. Its just like torch shrinking but on a miniscule scale, and in a very controlled atmosphere. Within an hour the panel was back almost totally flat again. It was so close to being flat, you had to run your hand over it to feel the imperfections. At that point, I had to go home, but I would have just started again with the shrinking disc to finish it off.

Again, there were a lot of guys with cameras as I forgot mine at home ( sorry James). Alec should have some pics. Very very worthwhile weekend spent and hopefully we can do it again next year.

Oh, and I forgot, in conversations with Lyle, he told me he posted up a long reply to the post a couple months ago about removing doorskins, fixing the damage, and replacing said door skin again. He says he removes them and replaces the same doorskin all the time. By the time he had the lengthy post typed out, he was timed out, and didn't have time to re-type it all out again. I've had that same problem in the past. Are there any settings that could be changed that would remedy that problem?

Oh, and Larry Robinson, give me a call again this week if you've got time. I've lost your number again. Thanks.

jlrussell4
04-18-2011, 10:05 AM
By the time he had the lengthy post typed out, he was timed out, and didn't have time to re-type it all out again.

Hi Jon,

I don't know if the time to post can be altered or not. An Administrator will know.

As a work around, one can always write posts to notepad, wordpad, or MS Word then copy and paste to a post.

Rick (madera)
04-18-2011, 10:14 AM
John, I have been using the stud gun trick for 20 years, works great!
It is crime to go to a metalshaping event without a camera :eek:

r.w.dewar
04-18-2011, 03:50 PM
John, the best way to type a long post is to do it in word perfect, email, or whatever program you have then copy, paste and send. Works good for us one finger typists. Bob.

oldgoaly
04-18-2011, 04:21 PM
wordpad and notepad are on almost all windows type computer. look under / in accessories, but pics don't work well. tt;)

coldspot
05-02-2011, 06:40 PM
Hi all
I tried but it was way too busy to get time off. Oh well I won't say next year.
Hopefully 2013 by which time I will be retired. Keep it going cause by then I will be a newbie again.
Gord