PDA

View Full Version : Helicoil problem

trackfodder
11-13-2010, 08:35 PM
I am trying to install a Helicoil thread repair for 10-32 in an old motorcycle and having trouble with inserting the coil. I cheaped off and bought Permacoil repair kit from Wholesale Tool for 20 bucks and the first one went in ALMOST before the drive tang snapped and I screwed down through the coil leaving about 1/2 thread protruding. No biggie, I just ran the drill through the part that bolts to it and was OK. The 2nd one I attempted to MotoTool a tang on the inserter and it also snapped and the threads on it turned to putty (or potty.) Then I ordered real Helicoil inserts and got an allen head screw and turned the head so it would fit down the barrel of the inserter tube and ground a tang on it . Snapped the tang early on. I am wondering if the Helicoil tap and the Permacoil tap are the same.??? Can't find a Heli to borrow. The Permacoil tap is a bit smaller than 1/4 X 32 NS like model engine plug threads. Opinions or hecklers welcome The Perm folks are sending me a replacement inserter. Keith Williams

exmachinist
11-15-2010, 04:18 PM
We went to Keenserts which have pins to hold the insert in place. Also they are designed to use standard taps on the enlarged hole. Henry

http://www.newmantools.com/kee.htm

http://www.engineersedge.com/wwwboard/posts/5899.html

Brian McCollim
11-15-2010, 07:33 PM
I have never tried the perma coil's but I would be willing to bet that the Heli-coil brand tap must be used with the Heli-coil insert. If they are breaking the tangs before you get them in then its a safe bet. Also make sure you are tapped deep enough, the threads taper in at the bottom of the hole.

DYCE
11-15-2010, 07:43 PM
I've taken the tap that comes with the insert and made a nut to screw the insert into to hold it to the installation tool. You screw it through the nut, (for metric it's 2mm bigger with the same thread pitch) then screw it into the hole you are repairing. I've had trouble with the perma-coils too, but this helped me.