PDA

View Full Version : Homemade Belt Sander

1969Vernon
09-26-2010, 06:21 AM
I built a Homemade Belt Sander to use in my shop it is almost complete now. Here a link below. Working on the guards now will show those pictures soon. Thank you Vernon:idea:

http://s795.photobucket.com/albums/yy232/1969Vernon/Belt%20Sander/

1969Vernon
09-26-2010, 11:32 AM
http://i795.photobucket.com/albums/yy232/1969Vernon/Belt%20Sander/DSC01259.jpg

Tony Sanchez
09-26-2010, 01:24 PM
---Vernon, machine looks great. I couldn't live with out my belt and disc grinders.
---Tony

1969Vernon
09-26-2010, 02:55 PM
http://i795.photobucket.com/albums/yy232/1969Vernon/Belt%20Sander/DSC01302.jpg

1969Vernon
09-26-2010, 02:57 PM
---Vernon, machine looks great. I couldn't live with out my belt and disc grinders.
---Tony

Thank you tony I also look forwards to having a sander.
Vernon:)

Hotrod1932
09-26-2010, 07:06 PM
Vernon, I need to make up some guards for a couple of my machines. Can you tell me what you used to mock up that guard, or is that metal that just needs to be finished up?

That sander is fantastic !! Really nice work!!!

Rick (madera)
09-26-2010, 08:49 PM
Wow Vernon :o That is to nice to get dirty:D

1969Vernon
09-26-2010, 09:11 PM
Vernon, I need to make up some guards for a couple of my machines. Can you tell me what you used to mock up that guard, or is that metal that just needs to be finished up?

That sander is fantastic !! Really nice work!!!

Hey Ray,
Thank you And the mocked guards are made from Manila file folders My wife gave to me lol I just cut them to size and taped. It works pretty good. Im make the guards out 16 gauge steel next and will tig the whole thing together. Can remove the whole guard in one pcs. Well thank you Vernon:)

1969Vernon
09-26-2010, 09:13 PM
Wow Vernon :o That is to nice to get dirty:D

Hey Rick,
I can't wait to build something else using this machine. So will get a little dirty at times lol Thank you Vernon:)

jodastream
09-27-2010, 12:27 AM
nice tool nice work dude...:D

tusk
09-27-2010, 05:43 AM
Having used a 6x48 belt sander on my job for over 30+ yrs I would make the top radius part of the guard on a hinge.
I can't begin to tell ya how many times I use that area. The one at work is held on the right side by about a 1/2" stud , it slides over the studd and then a spin nut.
One sander I used I made the top hinge and also the side hinge to be able to change belts easy.
With out the hinge the guard was either layin there or gone and safty dept frowned on that.
The spot on the sander I like the best is between the top roll and the base, that 1x6 area is nice for soft sanding.
Doug Ganschow

1969Vernon
09-27-2010, 08:16 AM
nice tool nice work dude...:D

Thank you looking forward to using it for years to come

1969Vernon
09-27-2010, 08:21 AM
Having used a 6x48 belt sander on my job for over 30+ yrs I would make the top radius part of the guard on a hinge.
I can't begin to tell ya how many times I use that area. The one at work is held on the right side by about a 1/2" stud , it slides over the studd and then a spin nut.
One sander I used I made the top hinge and also the side hinge to be able to change belts easy.
With out the hinge the guard was either layin there or gone and safty dept frowned on that.
The spot on the sander I like the best is between the top roll and the base, that 1x6 area is nice for soft sanding.
Doug Ganschow

Yes I'm thinking like you on the top hinged also I will make the guard one pcs easy on easy off still working the bugs out I want it to be the best it can be. Thanks for your input like to here everybodies experance with there sander help me overcome any problems before it happens.
Thank you Vernon:)

1969Vernon
10-19-2010, 07:30 PM
Here's a very short video of the Belt running Vernon
Picture "LINK"
http://s795.photobucket.com/albums/yy232/1969Vernon/Belt%20Sander/

Video "LINK"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tm5dm25OlGM

RockHillWill
10-20-2010, 03:52 AM
What a great project. I'm impressed. That looks like a huge amount of work. Post photos of the guard when you are done.

Dawai
10-20-2010, 05:04 AM
Hammer stand.. well.. I got a highly modified industrial belt sander.. looking around my shop.. I ended up bolting it to a hammer stand.. it does not interfere with the stand.. but puts the sander down low..

I want a KMG clone.. a knifemakers belt sander.. I got one drawed up.. got about half the parts made.. it can even miter the ends of tubes.. (fish mouth)..

A belt sander is a work-dream around a fabrication shop.. otherwise.. everything has rough edges.. and the cost.. is prohibititive to buy a good one.. mine was junk, motor locked up solid I had to cut the shaft and try to get the drum off it.. bought at auction for $25..

Look to Supergrit for belts.. Laura?? seems to stick in my head..

1969Vernon
10-21-2010, 08:51 PM
What a great project. I'm impressed. That looks like a huge amount of work. Post photos of the guard when you are done.

Thank you, Yes it was a great deal. Great project and glad I did it. I will post all the pictures to my photobucket link as I finsh each pcs The link on the first post.

1969Vernon
10-22-2010, 07:50 PM
Hammer stand.. well.. I got a highly modified industrial belt sander.. looking around my shop.. I ended up bolting it to a hammer stand.. it does not interfere with the stand.. but puts the sander down low..

I want a KMG clone.. a knifemakers belt sander.. I got one drawed up.. got about half the parts made.. it can even miter the ends of tubes.. (fish mouth)..

A belt sander is a work-dream around a fabrication shop.. otherwise.. everything has rough edges.. and the cost.. is prohibititive to buy a good one.. mine was junk, motor locked up solid I had to cut the shaft and try to get the drum off it.. bought at auction for $25..

Look to Supergrit for belts.. Laura?? seems to stick in my head..

Hey There Dawai,
Would like to see your pics from your sander also see you are from north GA Are you near say Dalton or maybe Tunnel Hill

1969Vernon
01-09-2011, 08:22 AM
http://i795.photobucket.com/albums/yy232/1969Vernon/Belt%20Sander/DSC01357.jpg

1969Vernon
01-09-2011, 08:23 AM
http://i795.photobucket.com/albums/yy232/1969Vernon/Belt%20Sander/DSC01454.jpg

1969Vernon
01-09-2011, 08:32 AM
http://i795.photobucket.com/albums/yy232/1969Vernon/Belt%20Sander/DSC01293.jpg

1969Vernon
01-09-2011, 08:34 AM
http://i795.photobucket.com/albums/yy232/1969Vernon/Belt%20Sander/DSC01278.jpg

larry mullen
01-09-2011, 11:30 AM
vernon
good job on the sander , I have just about finished mine, its a disc only sander though. Where you at in ohio ? i,m up an the northeast corner .
Larry Mulllen

1969Vernon
01-09-2011, 12:00 PM
vernon
good job on the sander , I have just about finished mine, its a disc only sander though. Where you at in ohio ? i,m up an the northeast corner .
Larry Mulllen

Hello Mr Mullen,
I'm in the southwest corner 40 miles east of Cincinnati would you post your sander so I can see it. Is your disk 12"

Vernon Peterson :)

tininjun67
12-08-2011, 07:59 PM
home made my butt. you're a professional and that thing will be fought over by your grand kids. it will last several lifetimes. great craftsmanship

Dawai
12-09-2011, 03:26 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v85/ibewgypsie/sander.jpg

Problem with a big wide belt sander is you can't get into the cracks and small areas to clean up. Appearances of brackets and gussets after you get one Makes it irreplaceable after you get used to it. A knife maker type narrow belt sander is needed at times here.. and I still have not made one yet.

What I don't like is the "monkey work" (mindless edge cleanup) standing there doing a radius or making a edge soft where it won't make you bleed later working on the project. Sometimes while off in that "half dreamlike" world you get brought back to reality when a burr cuts the sanding belt and it whacks you a few times as it shreds.

This belt sander is now hanging as ballast on the side of the helve hammer, lower aluminum pulley was on the motor on it when I bought it at a equipment auction.. bad motor locked up solid. I stuck it into a electric-press I have here and the pulley EXPLODED and pieces stuck in the wall, had to make one from a chunk of pipe, I was out of saw blades and edge is torch cut rough. A flat plate welded in, then center drilled on the lathe. Pulley really needs to be about six to eight inches in diameter, but the 3phase motor is running on a VFD and I over-speed it to get a better rpm on the belt. Motor was a base type mount, this C-face motor mount was made with the pattern torch and drilled on the mill. (replaced again with normal base motor) I've done so much work on this one it's not far away from unrecognizable by the manufacturer probably.

I have no clue what "brand" this one is, but I do like the ability to swivel it from vertical to horizontal to clean things up. It still needs work, but I'll run it till the wheels fall off.

Mine is nowhere near as pretty as yours for sure. It also makes a mess, like the bead blaster It'd be hard to build a engine that'd last with all the grit around it. My fab shop is a wreck anyways, have to blow off the ceiling joists at times to keep it from raining dirt like Pig pen from Charlie brown. Hard to lay on clear coat when a shop is like that too. I had to build a special shed for the Harley to get it away from fabrication grinding and grit mess. I guess it worked, paint on it is several years old now.

I have no clue how them guys on Television can fabricate next to multi-thousand dollar paint jobs, it sure don't work here like that.

norson
12-14-2011, 10:10 PM
I'm having a real problem with all the dirt and grit too. Has any one addressed this problem? Vacuum system like a wood shop? Screens, walls?? Norm

Dawai
12-15-2011, 04:12 AM
IF anyone comes up with a better method than isolation I'd like to see it.

I hung some of them clear plastic-rubber strips in between Room 1, and 2 here. Like they have in a super market to keep the flying critters out? Put a door up on the machine shop side so I could partially heat it. That cnc milling machine throws curls twenty feet. It is one of the old ones before the lexan box was put around them.

The strips kept the grit in there at bay, the grinders and sanders in the main part of the shop thou are still a problem. The 57 I am putting together is in the middle of that mess. I was expecting "grinder" sparks embedded in the new windshield.

I don't think you can mix grit and good paint and "hope for the best" Also, buddies when they come by to "do a lil work" watch them closely. Had a friend spraying carb cleaner and spotted someone's paint on a bike here. You have to isolate nasty from pretty I think.

My fancy painted harley is safely in my living room, the weather turned to mid sixties and I sure would like to go for a ride. Going to change the color on it before spring.