PDA

View Full Version : Inherated a milling machine!

irishpol
07-30-2010, 05:23 PM
I just inherared a speedford milling machine from a friend that died unexpectedly.
I cant find any info anywere on speedford mills, it looks like a bridgeport (don't they all).
It's motor is 2hp three phase and I have a Phase-A-Matic PAM-600hd phase converter rated 3-5hp I want to use with it, is there any a problem using this phase converter with it?
Any infomation will be greatly welcome.

oldgoaly
07-30-2010, 05:41 PM
Paul,
I don't have any thing on the mill, but you phase convertor is a relay and capacitor sized for the size of the motor, what I would do is find a 3 to 5hp 3phase motor (idler motor), start this motor with your phase-a-matic, then run you mill off the 3-5hp motor. Your mill will be running off a 3 phases generated by the idler. Just one way of doing it. Take care! tt

irishpol
07-30-2010, 06:47 PM
So what happens to the motor if the phase converter is too big?

oldgoaly
07-30-2010, 07:46 PM
Ok, I'll try to explain it as I understand it. You have one phase (line 1 and 2, motor winding #1), the capacitor discharges into #2 winding via lines 2 and 3, no voltage is applied winding #3 via line 1 and 3. the capacitor discharge is figure for the size of motor. You probably have seen the wide variety of motors a two horse can be as big as a five horse, so how the heck do we know? amp draw you can only do that by check when running, well the do make a phase analyzer if your really a "tool-a-haulic". My phase-a-matic lasted a little over a year and 1/2. The homebrew rotary has been running since 1989/90. I was lucky I had my hand on the switch when the p-a-m blew, saved my bridgeport motor.

Rick (madera)
07-30-2010, 08:33 PM
I have a 3hp mill and a 5hp lathe and run them both off a 3-5 hp phase a matic (one at a time). work fine. 2hp :confused: I'm not an electrician. I would think it would just put out more amps