PDA

View Full Version : network

tsutt
02-09-2004, 02:39 PM
HI, are any of you guy's network expert's? I'm trying to network an windows xp computer to my cnc mill that runs in dos. i'll explain further if there any help out there. Thanks Todd Sutton

bcarlson
02-09-2004, 07:12 PM
I'm not an expert, but I may be able to point you in the right direction.

What kind of interface do you have on the CNC machine (i.e. parallel, serial, etc)? If you are unsure, what kind of controller, and machine is it? Next, what ports do you have on your windows computer?

That should get us started... ;)

Ben

tsutt
02-09-2004, 08:03 PM
Hi Ben, Its got an ethernet card that i'm connecting to the desktop with a cross over cable. trying to setup msclient to run netbeui protocol the desktop seems to be ok. the control is an ajax ie centroid m39. it's asking for a bus#, a device# and an etherid# none of which i can locate or figure out, yet. i'm also getting error msgs on bootup that there is an incomplete binding in the protocol manager. and one that says ipx or netbios must be running in order to load network service Thanks, Todd

Peter Miles
02-09-2004, 08:59 PM
Is that XP Home or XP Professional on your PC? Is it now or has it ever been connected to any other computers in a network?

Is that the only computer involved or do you have a network of others? I assume it's probably the only one because you're trying to use a cross-over cable.

If the mill has an ethernet card, you may need to be setting up a TCP/IP address. Netbeui is a pretty old protocol, at least for the XP business world. It is probably something that you'd have to install on top of other protocols. You'll need to see if that is installed on your PC.

Go the the Start button on the lower left corner of your screen.
Click on Control Panel.
Click on Network Connections.
At this point there may be some differences between XP Home and XP Professional. I don't use XP Home.
RIGHT Click on Local Area Connection, Select Properties. This will show what protocols and tools are installed for your network connection.
If Netbeui doesn't show up there, you may have to click the Add or Install button to add it to your set of protocols.

Good Luck..................

Click

Depending upon how old that mill is, I'd check with their technical support department and ask what help they can provide.

bcarlson
02-10-2004, 04:34 AM
I did a quick google and came back with this:

Centroid M39 CNC Control Features:
# 3 axis (4th axis optional) simultaneous control
# MasterCAM Level 1, v. 3.21 installed
# Color LCD display and keyboard
# PC based 32 bit DSP technology
# 3.5" floppy disk standard
# 200 Position tool library
# Math help
# Resume job after pause or halt
# G-dode & G-code tool path graphics
# Teach mode
# Drag plot diagnostic (patent pending)
# Updateable software
# Color screen
# 10 GigByte hard drive (or better)
# Programmable spindle and M codes
# RS232
# Coolant function keys
# Canned cycles (pocketing, cleanout of irregular pockets, drilling)
# High speed contouring

Centroidcnc.com (http://www.centroidcnc.com/m39.htm)

it doesn't look like there is a (standard) network jack, does the network connector look like the connector on the end of your monitor or like a phone jack? (sorry if you _do_ know what it is, not sure what your knowledge level is ;) )

To find your windows machine IP address/network config open a command prompt, and type in 'ipconfig'. That may give you some clues... you may want to post the information if you are still stumped. If it's set up for DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol) you'll probably need to change it.

I know nothing about netbeui besides (I think) it was used in NetWare.

Ben

tsutt
02-10-2004, 07:25 AM
Pete,Ben, Xppro, Netbeui is on the xp cd in the value added folder under browse. it is the reccommended protocol by the manufacturer for the control. the pc in the control is one i put together using my own choice of motherboard,very limited now as the controlcard is an isa. like i said this is actually an Ajax control they do not support ethernet yet, i think because of the various components people will use, centroid won't give any help because it's an ajax control. so i'm left to do this on my own. the reason for doing this is because i'm having an extremely high failure rate with floppies. i know it will work if i can get it setup right as it is trying to work. the connection is thru a cat 5 crossover cable with rj 45's Thanks Todd

tsutt
02-10-2004, 03:19 PM
hi guys , I got it figured out. went to a 3com adapter and everything worked out with a little tweeking Thanks, Todd ps. I don't know how this ended up under machinery when i thought i was posting to the new compurter section.