PDA

View Full Version : General Craziness

worsethenu
05-04-2010, 08:56 AM
Hear me out as these are just thoughts, ideas, and a whole lot of questions about the theory of how something could be done. Lets say someone wanted to make an all wheel drive 1100 HP car/truck. What front end/axles/drive and transfer case would everyone recommend? I'm referring to full time AWD and not a 4 wheel drive set up. I know an audi drive line will get you up to 800HP, but i'm curious about going to that next level.

Sorry if this is the wrong forum. I've learned a lot from time on here and just wanted everyone's thoughts on what they might do. Thanks!

oldgoaly
05-04-2010, 09:34 AM
Seems to me the Lambo's and Ferrari's are pushing 800 max, seems there maybe a reason, strength of materials and durability issues? Look into the Bugatti Veyron seems to me it was pushing the limits. tt

worsethenu
05-04-2010, 10:49 AM
Thought i heard somewhere rad rides was building one (wagon i think) for a customer? Anybody else hear/see anything about it?

Peter Miles
05-04-2010, 07:53 PM
1,000 HP is a lot of HP. Are you thinking of a diesel or gas engine? There are a number of diesel enthusiasts (a small numbr) that have 1,000 HP vehicles. There are some good diesel magazines out there that document some of those buildups.

1,000 HP diesels make devastating levels of torque because the HP is at relatively low RPM. It seems like the automatics in the 3/4 ton pickups are reliable up to roughly 500 HP. If you get too far north of that, the transmissions need to be significantly built-up.

I don't know if any of them are going through AWD drive setups like in a 1/2 ton GMC Sierra Denali. For that matter, I don't know if any of the 3/4 or 1-ton rigs come with AWD instead of 4 WD.

1,000 HP in a gas engine seems to be more in the dragster range and that HP is going to be generated at a much higher RPM. What sort of application are you thinking of?

Carbuilder
05-04-2010, 08:41 PM
I love my diesel hp to torque ratio especially when I turn the go nob up. The kids in there rice rocket cars don't stand a chance for the first 800 ft.
About 500 hp & 800 ft lbs torque on the 6 range & I still get 14 mpg pulling a 12,000 lb trailer to the shows & swap meets.

godspeed
05-05-2010, 06:52 AM
You might have to think "HOW" you are making the power... If it's a tubro, you can add in a little lag time so that the shock load isn't that huge. Then something as simple as a Subi. axles will work.

That's what tends to kill axles is the shock load... 1000 hp off the line (or at the bottom of the torque curve) is serious.. 3/4 ton --1 ton truck axles, or custom made half shalts and third members.. faster you want to go..... the more money it takes.....

ShawnMarsh
05-05-2010, 07:11 AM
Some people use the GMC Typhoon or Syclone transfer case/front axle, but I'm not sure if it's capable of 1,000 hp without some work.

worsethenu
05-06-2010, 08:43 AM
Idea was 572 with a super charger, which should put initial torque around 700HP/TQ. No diesel this time:-) Who can modify the TC out of a typhoon? Thanks guys!

worsethenu
05-06-2010, 09:03 AM
another thought: You think a TC out of an escalade would work?