PDA

View Full Version : Santa Cruz Metal Meet Sign up

Rick (madera)
04-14-2010, 11:26 AM
Santa Cruz Metalmeet will be May 22-23

http://www.metalmeet.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=6&pictureid=1017

John Forbes called me this moring and told everything was a go! It will be held in the Redwoods of Santa Cruz again.
Ron Covell and Lazze have agreed again to join in. We will be limiting it to 50 people, first come first serve:). If you have a large project please let me know in advance.(we are limited for large projects) But lots of room for small ones.John Forbes has a shear, Pullmax, Bandsaw,E-wheel. I will bring my trailer again with E-wheel, Bammbamm, thumbnail shrinker, lancaster shrinker/stretcher, Mechammer,deep throat bead roller and my new beadroller.If you have any machines you would like to bring that will be fine,but we don't have any way of unloading any heavy machines.

We will supply breakfast pastries, lunch with soft drinks both days. 19 gage ak and some 3003 h14 al for those small projects

For those who have never been to a meet you are in for a treat! This is a hands on event. Lots of demos,

Their will be a $40 charge to help cover expenses for the weekend.
NOTE: if this causes a hardship let me know, we don't want the price to stop anyone from attending
If you would like to attend you can mail me a check or pay with paypal.I will post John's address latter.

RICK SCOTT
1632 JEFFERSON AVE
MADERA, CA. 93637
(1-559-661-4214)

PAYPAL
clscott4@sbcglobal.net

Hope to see you there!

CRCRFT78
04-14-2010, 03:51 PM
I'm in. I can't wait.

red baron
04-14-2010, 05:02 PM
Let me make sure I can get there and back with a place to stay! I am real excited about this! I dont have any particular projects, just trying to soak up as much as possible!

This will take place in Madera, or Santa Cruz?

CRCRFT78
04-14-2010, 05:07 PM
I've got a 49 Fleetline that needs some metal work. What do I need to do to bring it? It will definately need to be trailered. I'll post pics up of it later.

jvo
04-14-2010, 05:25 PM
Are us Northerners welcome? I've been waiting years for West Coast meets to happen. If you don't mind us taking up a space or two, I'll book a flight asap. Got to check with my travelling buddy Bob, from the way way frozen North, to see if he wants to come along. I sure hope he's up for the trip. He and I did Doug Walter's meet in Chilliwack a few years ago, and also drove down to Tuck's meet in Wyoming a couple years back. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Rick, I tried calling you a few minutes ago, I'll try later tonight. Tal is on his way over to use my bandsaw to cut up the pieces for his e-wheel ( finally), so's he can have it ready for our North of 49 meet.

Tisdelski
04-14-2010, 07:00 PM
hi rick,

i`ll be there and am bringing jay (harrygibis) with me.

gary

Rick (madera)
04-14-2010, 07:16 PM
Yes, our northern friends are welcome! We will not be checking passports:)
Please bring your personal and safty gear: hearing protection, safty glasses, gloves, welding hood,welding goggles, and even a folding chair. Mostly a good attitude!:) I will be posting Hotel/motel/camp grounds information as soon as I get it.
Please no POLITICS, & no alcohol
sticking your finger in your ears is not osha approved ear protection:-D

Rick (madera)
04-14-2010, 07:26 PM
I've got a 49 Fleetline that needs some metal work. What do I need to do to bring it? It will definately need to be trailered. I'll post pics up of it later.

We could find a spot for it, BUT I have to warn you there is a very steep and winding road up to John's I pulled a trailer last year without a tailer brake controller on my truck and it scared me to death:eek: up and down the road!

Bob A.
04-14-2010, 08:41 PM
JVO just gave me a call and Rick please add me to your list to attend. I will check out the flights tomorrow and hopefully get a flight.

Bob A.

Tony Sanchez
04-14-2010, 11:04 PM
---Rick, sign me up again.
---Tony

anders nørgaard
04-15-2010, 07:17 AM
Would love to be there, but...

Well... I did insert the logo :) ;)

Rick (madera)
04-15-2010, 09:43 AM
Here is more information on the meet the address is:

John Forbes
7258 Empire Grade
Santa Cruz, Ca. 95060
Here is a map Quest
http://www.mapquest.com/maps?city=Santa+Cruz&state=CA&address=7258+Empire+Grade&zipcode=95060-9605&cat=John+Forbes&country=US&latitude=37.05675&longitude=-122.12228&geocode=ADDRESS

If anyone wants to sell a tool or machine or any item their will be a table available.

DanGunit
04-15-2010, 11:08 AM
Hey Rick,

Please add me to the list, I will do everything I can to get this scheduled in. I may only be able to come for Saturday, but i'll bring my powered bead roller if I can get it done by then. BTW, would it be possible to make a rough itinerary for the demo's with times and days, last year I left for lunch and missed Ron Covel's flow forming demo because I didn't know it was coming up :confused::mad:

Cheers,
Daniel

CRCRFT78
04-15-2010, 11:13 AM
My check is in the mail. Count myself +1.

jvo
04-15-2010, 12:01 PM
Flight is booked for May 19, return May 25, now all I gotta do is get us invited to some shop tours in the off time. Really looking forward to this, and not just because there might be some celebrities there. Been waiting for some West Coast meets for a long time, as well as enjoying some of that fine California weather ( as I look out the window to the foot of snow that we got yesterday). Check will be in paypal shortly. See ya soon.

red baron
04-15-2010, 01:43 PM
i want in, just had a couple questions for the locals, how hard is it to get around that area? I wouldnt be driving in, would there be anything close, like walking distance, food, shelter etc..?

Signed up, money sent!

Thanks for the call Rick, I really appreciate it!

ShawnMarsh
04-15-2010, 08:13 PM
COUNT ME IN! I'm only about 15 min away and I can pick people up from the airport if need be. Are you flying into San Jose? I'm not sure what's near John's place as I've never been there, but if you can get into the town of Santa Cruz you can walk to just about anything you want. By the description it sounds like his place might be tucked away in the forest near the town and not actually in town.

YES, I can't wait! How much is the paypal fee so I can make sure you have $40?

jvo
04-15-2010, 08:31 PM
Sent the fee by paypal, but forgot to send an email with it. Hope it shows who it came from. Thanks.

ShawnMarsh
04-15-2010, 09:34 PM
can you actually put me down for Me + 2? Gonna bring 2 other guys from the shop that do fabrication with me.

red baron
04-16-2010, 09:19 AM
COUNT ME IN! I'm only about 15 min away and I can pick people up from the airport if need be. Are you flying into San Jose? I'm not sure what's near John's place as I've never been there, but if you can get into the town of Santa Cruz you can walk to just about anything you want. By the description it sounds like his place might be tucked away in the forest near the town and not actually in town.

YES, I can't wait! How much is the paypal fee so I can make sure you have $40?

I will be walking around town, lol, is there a list of good places,or even better, places to avoid?

Sollis
04-16-2010, 05:12 PM
i probably be there

ShawnMarsh
04-16-2010, 06:52 PM
I will be walking around town, lol, is there a list of good places,or even better, places to avoid?

The main part of "town" is Pacific St, which has a lot of good places to eat, a few bars, and places to shop if that's your thing. There's also the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk which is an amusement park with free entry, you just have to pay for rides/games. It's super dirty on the beach there and I don't really ever go there, but there's quite a few things to do near there if you're bored. Santa Cruz is really small and you can walk the whole town in a couple hours, but I wouldn't bother going too far away from Pacific/Boardwalk. There's no real "bad" places to avoid, but it gets pretty ghetto in some of the neighborhoods and since there's nothing to do over there, no reason to even be there in the first place.

007fab0
04-17-2010, 11:30 PM
My check is in the mail, Shawn Tommie. www.sheetmetalshaper.com (http://www.sheetmetalshaper.com)

Rick (madera)
04-20-2010, 01:55 PM
someone called and had a hard time finding the post so I thought I would Bump it up

Peter Miles
04-20-2010, 11:43 PM
someone called and had a hard time finding the post so I thought I would Bump it up

Rick, it would probably be easier to find this thread if we moved it to:

http://www.metalmeet.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=103&pictureid=1063

I'm just feeling my way into this Moderators stuff, but would you like it moved?

Rick (madera)
04-21-2010, 09:11 AM
Rick, it would probably be easier to find this thread if we moved it to:

http://www.metalmeet.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=103&pictureid=1063

I'm just feeling my way into this Moderators stuff, but would you like it moved?

Thanks Peter
Feel free! I could use all the help I can get:)

Peter Miles
04-21-2010, 10:34 PM
OK, it has been moved!

red silver
04-23-2010, 02:23 PM
Check sent,
Red Silver

rokcrln
05-03-2010, 06:19 AM
Pay Pal sent and I will see you all their!

Kevin
LFD Inc.

Bob A.
05-03-2010, 07:51 AM
Rick, Have you put together a list of accommodations close to the metal meet that you would recommend? It is a little over two weeks and I would like to get a room booked.

Thanks Bob A.

Rick (madera)
05-05-2010, 09:34 AM
I talked to John Forbes and will be posting the information today. He has been busy and has not been on MM since the crash. He tried to sign in and it didn't work. I told him he had to register again.

Rick (madera)
05-06-2010, 09:25 AM
John Forbes tried for a hour to register last night and came up empty. So I have a link to some motels in Santa
Cruz
sorry the link didn't work I will try again

John Forbes
05-06-2010, 10:51 AM
Hi All,

Finally got on. There is a campground near by called Henry Cowell Redwood State Park # (831) 438-2396
If you have questions and want to talk with me I'm at (831) 426-5828 day or (831) 459-9217 night

Thanks John Forbes:cool:

John Forbes
05-06-2010, 10:01 PM
Here is some info. I am located about 10 miles north of Santa Cruz, up about 2,000 ft in the Redwoods. The nearest town Felton is 3 miles, has markets, restaurants one motel The Fern River resort (831)335-4412. The next town is Scotts Valley 3 more miles with a Best Western (831) 438-6666 or Ben Lomond with Jay's Timberlane resort (831) 336-5479, both have markets, resturants and motels. Here are some motels in Santa Cruz, Mission Inn (831) 425-5455, Sunset Inn (831) 423-7500, Best Western (831) 425-4717, Travel Lodge (831) 426-2300

If you need assistance please contact me, Thanks John

Pins&Needles
05-07-2010, 08:17 AM
Hey John... Hey Rick... Chris Gross here... I've been trying feaverishly to get back on MetalMeet so that I can sign up for the event... hope there is still room for one more. Acutally, unfortunately it looks like I will only be able to come by on Sunday. Let me know!
Thanks,
Chris

heinke
05-11-2010, 08:29 AM
Please put me on the participant list. This will be my first meet and I'm looking forward to it.

red baron
05-20-2010, 01:27 PM
2 days away!!! What time on saturday should we be pulling in? Dont want to overstep any bounds! lol

Rick (madera)
05-20-2010, 08:16 PM
you don'thave to worry about stepping out of bounds or on anyones feet:). I will be there on Friday unloading my truck and setting up. We had a few show up Friday night to check things out and do some BSing.you can start showing up about 8:00

CRCRFT78
05-21-2010, 05:14 PM
I plan on leaving San Francisco about 6/6:30am. Hoping to get there early. I will be bringing a few different items to work with but I am totally green when it comes to this so I will give it my best. This will give my father & I a chance to do some bonding and plan the metalwork on the 49 Fleetline he has.

ShawnMarsh
05-23-2010, 06:23 PM
I just want to say a huge thank you to Rick for making this happen and bringing all your wonderful tools up that crazy road, then helping us all use them. Thank you John for all the hospitality and use of so much cool stuff. And thanks to everyone for all the help you gave me on my bicycle fender project, and teaching me stuff for 2 days of fun.

CRCRFT78
05-24-2010, 08:09 AM
I'd also like to THANK everyone for a GREAT time. John for opening up his property to us. Rick for the use of his machines, Ron Covell for helping me out and everyone else who's names I didn't get, THANK YOU. It was good to put some faces with the screen names. Joel I'll be taking you up on the invite to Livermore. THANKS AGAIN EVERYONE. I can't wait until the next get-together.

Joe

John Forbes
05-24-2010, 03:42 PM
Well we had a great Santa Cruz MetalMeet. Thanks to Rick Scott, who brought all his machines. He does an amazing job at fabricating and machining some very useful tools, they were running non-stop for two days. He made me an adjustable beading tool for my Pullmax, it works great, very cool. Ron Covell stayed late both days making sure everyone was on course with there projects. He demonstrated his mastery in every aspect of metal shaping. Lazze makes it look so simple, his work is so tight. He demonstrated his expert techniques on his incredible machines, he is truly amazing. Mike Leeds rode up on his Blastolene V8 powered trike, he calls it Road Kill, not sure who is going to die when that thing gets ridden. There were a lot more individual projects this year. Everyone worked hard and was proud of what they made. What a talented, enthusiastic bunch of people. Old and young, everyone was smiling, especially Rex. Pictures are on there way. Thanks to everyone for making this a very successful Metalmeet.

John Forbes

Tisdelski
05-24-2010, 10:20 PM
Thanks to John Forbes for his hospitality, Rick for all his hard work, Lazze and Ron Covell for attending and supporting metalmeet. it was a great time.

caught up with some old friends and made a few new ones. i didn`t take enough pics.

Sollis made a cool little tank, Kevin made portions of the 32 shell in record time, JVO and his buddy (who`s name is escaping me right now) were there from canada , some guys from my neck of the woods made a nose cone for a bonneville car.

http://metalmeet.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=135&pictureid=1400
http://metalmeet.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=135&pictureid=1406
http://metalmeet.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=135&pictureid=1409
http://metalmeet.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=135&pictureid=1405
http://metalmeet.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=135&pictureid=1403
http://metalmeet.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=135&pictureid=1402

Tisdelski
05-24-2010, 10:21 PM
a few more

http://metalmeet.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=135&pictureid=1408
http://metalmeet.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=135&pictureid=1404

heinke
05-25-2010, 10:07 AM
It was great to meet and get to know some great people that share a passion for metal shaping. Special thanks to Rick for organizing/directing and John for opening up his shop/property and hosting. Thanks to Ron and Lazze for providing all the "expert" advice and insight. Thanks to all those who attended and participated. You all have very interesting projects and are a great bunch of people.

I can't wait until the next meet!