PDA

View Full Version : North of 49 Regional Metalmeet 2010

jvo
02-28-2010, 10:17 PM
http://www.metalmeet.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=6&pictureid=42

Well I guess we have to start from scratch again since everything disappeared. All the info from the last couple years is gone for reference, so I'll try to remember as much as I can.

The North of 49 Regional Metalmeet for 2010 is going to be April 23, 24 and 25th, Lethbridge AB. We're going to host it at Tal's garage again. He has far more space than I have. Either he or I will have to post his address all over again when the time is near.

For those that have been with us in the past, please put in your two bits' worth, so everyone can see what's in store. I don't know where to even start, as it was so easy to reference the past two years events for info.

We plan on finishing up Tal's rear fender extensions for his Lafayette coupe that we started on last year. Bob Andrews has been talking about bringing a model A roadster door that he's working on, building it from scratch.

This year, we'd like participants to be about 16 years of age minimum. That is slightly controversial, but several of us have had some concerns in the past with young folk. Nuff said on that. Sorry, but that's the way we feel it should be.

This should be enough for now to get the discussion going. Ask away, I'll try to check the site often for updates and to answer any questions. Looking forward to seeing friends from the past couple years attending again. ( Heard a rumor that the Edmonton and Grande Prairie contingent weren't coming this year.) Too bad for them, we have some Hooters girls attending this year.

jvo
03-17-2010, 05:20 PM
Not too much interest here this year. Oh well. For anyone that might want to attend, we've been working on a sheet metal purchase for this year. Big thanks, big big thanks to Uncle Johnny for his contact for 19 gauge sheet metal. I called Bare Metal Rods a couple days ago, and had a very nice conversation with John. He was gracious enough to put me in contact with his sheet metal supplier.

I called today, and got pricing for some 19 gauge cold rolled and oiled. We will be purchasing this in 4' by 4' sheets, for ease of transport and packaging. The price we were quoted was very affordable, probably cheaper than 18 gauge purchased locally. The really really unusual part was I asked for shipping costs to Lethbridge AB, and it was going to be very affordable as well. That cost will be split for those of us ordering the material.

If one of the moderators will speak up, is it okay to post pricing for this? I will not post the name of the supplier.

I'm not trying to coerce anyone into buying sheet metal, but if you want some, need some, and like the rest of us, consider 19 gauge to be unobtainium, post here if you plan on attending, and PM me if you want to buy some. This purchase, by the way, is only going to be for participants. I don't want to get into the shipping - receiving business for everyone in Western Canada. Speak up in the next couple days, as the price is subject to change next week.

Tal will be putting up a post next week or so, with his intentions on his Lafayette coupe fender extensions. He will hopefully post some pics to go with it.

coldspot
03-30-2010, 09:21 PM
Thanks for the note
Unfortunately, My job has conspired to take all my time, So can't make it this year. I expect to be retired in about a year so maybe 2011.
Don't give up on doing this. I know it can take some of your time but it is a great meet and should be continued in spite of our wonderful economy.
thanks
Gord in Regina

jvo
03-31-2010, 07:52 AM
Too bad you can't make it again this year Gord. There are several that aren't going to be able to attend, as well as yourself. The economy has a lot to do with that. My own job is in jeopardy, as our parent company hasn't renewed the lease on our building, and so far hasn't signed the lease on the new one yet either. They're waiting for first quarter results. By the time the meet rolls around, I might have more time off than I care to have ( like that would ever happen). Just might not have any income. It is what it is, at least we are all laughing about it at work.

There will still be a core group of most of our regulars attending. They just haven't bothered posting. Tal is working feverishly on his bucks for his fenders that we'll be building ( again). This time we're going to do flexible shape patterns and contour gauges, hopefully it will be easier to do.

I'm sure we'll try to keep this event alive in years to come. Its a good deal of fun and we all learn a lot from each other, as our skills improve.

jvo
04-05-2010, 09:17 PM
I can't see anywhere to post my email address now that the private messaging is gone. If you need to contact me for the North of 49 meet, use this thread. If you need to contact me 'cause you think I might be going to get you a flathead use my email address. jvoo@telus.net Thank you for your prompt attention to this matter. Oh, and if you think you should contact me, 'cause Tal wants to talk to you, same same, BOB V.

jlrussell4
04-06-2010, 05:57 AM
Hi John,

Go to your user CP and under edit options you can enter your email. Then when a person wants to contact you all they have to do is click on your posting name and the send an e mail drops down.

jvo
04-17-2010, 07:09 PM
BOB VINTON, THE EAGLE HAS LANDED. I have your flathead in the back of my pickup, gonna unload it at Jer's tomorrow. Bring yer truck next week. It is a 1CM out of a '49 Merc truck, with a little luck, it still has the 4 inch Merc crank in it. The guy's dad bought the truck new in '49, took the motor out a few years back and put it in a shed. It was running when it was removed. We didn't even wash the bird crap off it, you can have that too. See you next week. ( Don't feel too bad about hijacking my own thread)

BigSkyBob
04-19-2010, 08:45 AM
WOW, I can even keep some of that cool imported Canadian bird crap --- I'm stunned. Thanks guy, I'll PM you soon.
Thanks and say hi to Jer. Bob V

jvo
04-20-2010, 08:31 PM
Well, Bob Andrews will be here tomorrow night, now that I've got his door posts all done on the T coupe. Thanks Bob.

We'll be hauling some of my stuff over to Tal's first thing Thursday morning, ( right after I have my sausage and eggs, of course), then we'll get at it. Don't know exactly when Alec is gonna show up, or Bob Vinton, but we'll probably do our breakfast thing at Smitty's again about 8:00 AM Thursday. See you all soon.

BigSkyBob
04-23-2010, 03:24 PM
JVO, I'm completely BUMMMMMMED, the passport didn't show, hope you guys have fun, I'll be talking with you soon - with no PM's I wanted to let you know, Thanks.
Bob Vinton

jvo
04-24-2010, 07:28 PM
We've been waiting for you to walk through the door every morning at breakfast. Bob and I quit early tonight, we have one fender extension welded up, and planished, just needs a little more tweaking. When we left an hour or so ago, Tal was doing up the contour gauges on the other side, we'll be tacking and welding on it tomorrow. Do they ever look cool.
When they are done, I think Tal might post some pics. We made them out of two pieces this year, using flexible shape patterns and contour gauges instead of those bucks we used last year. Worked a lot better.

Ol' Jer is busy at his shop taking the Merc crank out of your flathead and putting the Ford crank in. Too bad you couldn't make it up this year. :twisted::-D

doug_walter2002
04-29-2010, 05:44 PM
John, Those of us who couldn't make it are still waiting for the pictures.

jvo
04-29-2010, 09:35 PM
Doug, I'm ashamed to say, I didn't take any pictures. And I don't remember seeing any cameras around the shop either. We were too busy having fun to stop and include the rest of you guys.
If you can picture that Lincoln Zephyr from Spokane a couple years back that sold at Barrett Jackson for over 400 grand, the fenders were extended similarly to what we were doing. Tal's putting a continental kit on the back of his Lafayette coupe, and we extended the fenders from the crown over the wheel to 9 inches behind the original fender. We did them in two pieces. Well, actually three, as Tal made a fender crown about two inches wide, that we welded each side to.
We weren't brave enough to try to tip the ridge down the middle of the fender into the pieces we made. Talked about it, but didn't get the gumption up to do it. It was just easier to do twice as much welding.
Tal is going to do the bottom edge of the fenders himself over the next couple months, as he decides exactly how low and what shape to do it. We did get the shape all in, and welded up, a little more planishing to do, but they look pretty good. How's yer imagination??

James(Western Canada)
04-30-2010, 08:10 AM
John: No pics???....I guess you will have to make like the court reporters and SKETCH what took place for us??:rolleyes:

James