PDA

View Full Version : Mn. spring metal meet

route56wingnut
02-24-2010, 06:13 PM
http://www.metalmeet.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=6&pictureid=44http://metalmeet.org/forum/picture.php?albumid=6&pictureid=44

The dates for the spring meet are April 23-25 2010.Please post or respond who are comming and if the project you will be working on will require extra room.Again there is plenty of room for camping and plenty of local Hotels and Motels.I will see if I can get the logging info and directions to my place.The address is 35730 Hwy 56 Blvd. Dennison Mn. 55018 Dan

60 convert
02-24-2010, 10:58 PM
hey Dan i will be there for at least the weekend
Jesse

CARS
02-25-2010, 07:49 AM
I am 99.99% sure I will be there Dan.

Projects.... I will have to think about it. I might just work on one of your projects or work with others.

(I am actually finishing that GTO hood we worked on last fall this week)

warrenoutrides
02-26-2010, 09:48 PM
I will be there for the weekend. Think I'll just take it all in, and watch the pros. Possibly be able to lend a hand. Starting to get a feel for that nibbler, thanks to Dan.

Justin C
02-28-2010, 07:42 PM
Dan i plan on coming as the wife needs a shopping trip. I think i am going to bring a door from the truck to work on. I better put in for my time off at work.

moparmaddnes
03-04-2010, 11:44 AM
Hi Dan I am planning on coming and bring my Dad. Is there a fee? What goes on as far as should I bring something from my car to work on or just watch the other people or just help others? I don't know what to expect.
Matt

CARS
03-04-2010, 11:53 AM
Hi Dan I am planning on coming and bring my Dad. Is there a fee? What goes on as far as should I bring something from my car to work on or just watch the other people or just help others? I don't know what to expect.
Matt

While there is no fee, we do kick in some money for Dan's expenses. We use alot of power, some metal for projects (ask first), there are coffee and doughnuts, and a meal every time I have been there. I always have food and beverages for myself.

The idea is to bring something to work on. The first time I just drifted around soaking it all in. Last fall I brought a couple things to work on but I think I spent more time chatting about metal than actually working with metal. :rolleyes:

And if you don't have anything to do, there are always other peoples stuff to help out with.

Dan has a very, very well equipped shop but I try to bring tools along that I know I will be using on my project. Then, someone watches you work and says "hey, I have the perfect tool for that job". You borrow their tool and then spend a hour talking about the tool :o (well, maybe that's just me?)

See ya there!

Chris

moparmaddnes
03-05-2010, 10:52 AM
Thanks Chris
I do have plenty to do, I just feel akward using other peoples things. The only problem is I don't have much for tools just some cheap body hammers.
Matt

CARS
03-05-2010, 11:11 AM
Matt, just let us know if you need something additional. I have no problem with borrowing tools until there is a problem. Then they have a problem :twisted:

arnolddyer
03-05-2010, 03:19 PM
http://metalmeet.com/forum/images/icons/icon1.gifmn metalmeet
I would like to attend. Do you have rsvp your name for a spot, if so I'd like to.

DYCE
03-05-2010, 04:10 PM
I'm planning on it. Dan are we setting a time limit on weld grinding this time?

Justin C
03-05-2010, 05:03 PM
I will be there just took the time off of work today so i will be ready to go

carryallman
03-06-2010, 05:24 AM
hi guys i might possibly be coming also ,maybe be there friday morn. and leave sat. evening? still need to get that airplane done ! how is that "a" with the hemi ? we need to help you with that ! it will be a neat ride ! talk to you later . mike "carryallman" wahl

Justin C
03-14-2010, 03:56 PM
I am not sure if i am going to bring a door or not. I may bring a pattern along to make a patch for my box side. It doesnt look as bad in the picture but its not too good.

DYCE
03-14-2010, 08:07 PM
Justin that panel looks very fixable. Tape it off the patches needed with masking tape and a backer (strapping tape) for a pattern on both sides and cut out the panels needing replacing. Bring it to Dan's and we can work on it, or we can do them here.... PM me if need them quick....
Jeff

CARS
03-15-2010, 05:49 AM
I'm planning on it. Dan are we setting a time limit on weld grinding this time?

http://www.pic4ever.com/images/25r30wi.gif

CARS
03-15-2010, 05:51 AM
Does anyone want to show me how to gas weld???

I haven't done O/A welding since Jr. High metal shop.
I have a couple sheets of "19 gauge A/K" at Dan's already :)

DYCE
03-15-2010, 03:46 PM
Do you have a torch setup yet Chris? If so bring it. I'll bring mine with hose tees. Todd Sutton is a good one to learn from, or I can help get you going.
Jeff

Justin C
03-15-2010, 04:16 PM
Justin that panel looks very fixable. Tape it off the patches needed with masking tape and a backer (strapping tape) for a pattern on both sides and cut out the panels needing replacing. Bring it to Dan's and we can work on it, or we can do them here.... PM me if need them quick....
Jeff

Nope i dont need them quick i was just thinking of something a little smaller than a door to bring. My wife is going shopping so i would have to leave the door at Dans until the fall meet because there would be no room for it to come back home :) I also wanted to shape something all i have been doing is simple patches and there is some shape to these corners so that will be fun.

Torch welding would be fun too.

CARS
03-15-2010, 06:46 PM
No Jeff, I don't have a torch. I'll gladly reimburse for the A/O burned up though if anyone can bring some. Actually, let me see if I can "borrow" some tanks. I know Dan has an assortment of torches. I remember seeing a Cobra laying around... That's what I would really like to play with :twisted:

I haven't even brazed anything since my dad switched to LP/O... way too hot for welding but cuts like butter :-D I'm fine with my TIG, I just want to see what all the gas welding hype is about!

Justin C
03-18-2010, 07:09 PM
I talked to my brother tonite and he was wondering if the meet was coming up. He wants to come back, I think he enjoyed the last one. But it is his busy season coming up and they are usually busy in april but he may try to come up on saturday. I will work on trying to get him to come so i can stay longer. My wife wants to go back home saturday night instead of sunday mornig.

route56wingnut
03-23-2010, 12:49 AM
I will be demonstrating an Ecold Picollo at the spring metal meet for those that are interested in seeing what all the talk is on these.So far there are 4 different dies to demo with but if you have some Aluminum or steel that you want to see what this machine will do bring it along.Even though this machines is out of most hobbiest sensible price range you will get a chance to see what to shoot for when you hit the Lotto or come up with the new invention that will put you on the map.

DON YOUNGMARK
04-06-2010, 07:55 PM
Hi Dan, Don@premier here. just want to ask you, one of the guys ive seen post is from Nowthen, MN.
Please give me a headsup who that member is please. just bought a home there. would like to meet him. I have always told you I will try to make the next meet. Don,t know for sure if I can but will keep trying.

Justin C
04-08-2010, 08:37 PM
Only two weeks away are you ready Dan.

CARS
04-12-2010, 06:17 PM
If anyone wants a cream separator stand I can bring them to Dan's.

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o277/crathman/100_4942.jpg

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o277/crathman/100_4974.jpg

I can get over a dozen of these guys for $10.00 each. They are a nice heavy stand (for what they are) and everyone I have seen has holes in the feet for bolting down if you wish. Just PM me and I can make it happen.
(thank god the snow is finally gone. I actually can get to the local junk yard again!!!)

Gene_Olson
04-13-2010, 10:00 AM
Pate just talked my ear off. Hope it grows back.

See you soon.

Don, we are just a few miles from Nowthen.
Toys r Us, heh, heh.

CARS
04-13-2010, 10:09 AM
Gene, are you going to Dan's?? I hope so, I wanted to talk to you about a peddle car buck you made for/with Kerry P. years ago.

Justin C
04-14-2010, 08:53 PM
I pulled a set of leaf springs from the dumpster at work the other day. I could bring them along if anyone wants to make a slapper. May be we coould talk Gene into fireing up the forge, we could tost a few marshmellows while we are at it too.

CARS
04-14-2010, 09:13 PM
I think the cardboard templates I made are still laying around the shop :eek:

I saw them last fall and we made the slappers in the spring :o:o:o:o

warrenoutrides
04-15-2010, 12:11 AM
anyone up for helping me get a handle on my tig welder if i bering it along ? it's just a small miller diversion tig. i can gas, and mig but having trouble with the tig. :confused:

CARS
04-15-2010, 04:43 AM
anyone up for helping me get a handle on my tig welder if i bering it along ? it's just a small miller diversion tig. i can gas, and mig but having trouble with the tig. :confused:

Don, I'm sure someone can help. Not sure if I should teach anything but how to turn it on, but I can't pass up trying out other equipment.

warrenoutrides
04-15-2010, 02:31 PM
Chris, seeing the work you've done here I'd be happy to have some professional insight from you.

DYCE
04-16-2010, 10:41 PM
If anyone wants a cream separator stand I can bring them to Dan's.

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o277/crathman/100_4942.jpg

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o277/crathman/100_4974.jpg

I can get over a dozen of these guys for $10.00 each. They are a nice heavy stand (for what they are) and everyone I have seen has holes in the feet for bolting down if you wish. Just PM me and I can make it happen.
(thank god the snow is finally gone. I actually can get to the local junk yard again!!!)

Chris I would take 2 stands. I have one now and they are handy....

Justin C
04-18-2010, 07:50 PM
Are there any good junk yards or steel co. close to Dans I need some 2x2 square and i dont think i will make it to the local place before the meet.

route56wingnut
04-19-2010, 03:50 AM
Are there any good junk yards or steel co. close to Dans I need some 2x2 square and i dont think i will make it to the local place before the meet.

I probably have anything you need here.If not there are several within 20 minutes

60 convert
04-19-2010, 04:55 PM
hey if you have room I will take one of the stands as well thanks
Jesse

CARS
04-19-2010, 07:14 PM
hey if you have room I will take one of the stands as well thanks
Jesse

Can do!

Just a note, they don't all have the can stand (looks like a seat that Dan drilled holes to hold his hammers). But I am grabbing all of them that I can. My focus is on grabbing the heaviest stands I can, not the height or style of them. You guys can fight over that on Saturday :twisted: