PDA

View Full Version : Florida metal meet?

Charley Davidson
02-23-2010, 08:13 PM
Does anybody still do the airshow deal in Lakeland or wherever that show is in April?

cwilliamrose
02-24-2010, 07:20 AM
I haven't been to Lakeland a quite a few years. It's a real zoo anymore and fairly expensive. I have some friends going for one day but they'll be leaving by 2:00 when the airshow starts. I'd rather stay and watch the show.

I'd love to see a metal meet somewhere in Florida, the ones announced so far are way too long a trip for me in a car......

pgroover
02-24-2010, 07:23 AM
Yes, Carey Culpepper and Jim Ash have done it for the past two years. I have moved up to north Georgia and started a powder coat paint shop and just could not afford the trip. I am looking at finances now to se if I can make it this year. I'll let you know later.
Pat Groover

Charley Davidson
02-24-2010, 07:27 AM
If they are still looking for volunteers I would love to help out. Do a good deed and learn something.

pgroover
02-24-2010, 07:33 AM
your attendance would be appreciated, and if you want to help out in the tent I can get you in for free for as many days as you would like to stay.

Charley Davidson
02-24-2010, 09:11 AM
Every day & would like a place to park my bus. I would definately like to help out in the tent.

phone number @#(-@(@-!&%)
each one of those cymbols represents the number below them on your keyboard

Thanks Charley

Jacob
02-24-2010, 09:42 AM
Carey Culpepper (Mr.C) Has been the lead guy for the last couple of years. I have volunteered the last three or four years and I really enjoy it. I get plenty of practice shaping and I get to meet a lot of great people. Highly recommended! If you can make it there for a day or the whole week, make plans to attend.

You have to register with the "Sun-N-Fun" to be a volunteer (www.sun-n-fun.org), go to the site and click on "volunteer", you can sign up there.

The dates are April 13th - 18th

mr.c
02-24-2010, 11:38 AM
Charley: We would be pleased to have you join us in the Metalshapers Workshop. I will forward you a registration form as soon as I receive one from Monda Thompson. You can register for a camping permit at that time. In the past the camping permit has been free to volunteers. It is a lot of work but it is also a lot of fun and very rewarding. Jacob will be our "finesse" expert again this year. I'll let him tell you how he broke the legs off of one of the tables during setup last year.
When asked by one of the other volunteers whether I would be back for another year, I told him that I laugh more in that one week than any other time, yes i will be back. These guys are a lot of fun to be around.
Pat: I do hope that you can make it down this year.

mr.c
02-24-2010, 11:50 AM
It appears that with this new setup, editing is not allowed after 5 minutes of the original posting. Here is what I was trying to edit in.

http://www.sun-n-fun.org/ (http://www.sun-n-fun.org/)
April 13-18
By the way, bring money. The flymart opens to volunteers only on setup day Monday April 12 at 6 pm. I have made some great purchases in the years I have attended.

Charley Davidson
03-01-2010, 04:14 PM
need a little assistance in filling out the app. want to make sure I get to work with you guys. Anything special I need to fill in?

mr.c
03-01-2010, 04:52 PM
Charley: I don't know what registration form that you have. There are hundreds of volunteers for Sun-n-Fun. Anything from preparing lunches for volunteers to dumping trash barrels. You need to register as a workshop volunteer and specifically "Metalshapers Workshop". Monda Thompson is the registrar for all of the workshop volunteers. She generally emails the form to previous volunteers. I have not received that registration form at this time and I am the chairman of that workshop. When I receive that I will forward it to you. She is often late in sending that out. Last year it was in March. I don't know how to advise you concerning a camping space for a bus. I have camped in my van or pickup. Motorhome space is probably first come first serve. And a lot come weeks ahead of time. If it rains like it did a couple of years ago that area gets very interesting with the motorhomes.
There are showers available in the campsites and lunch is supplied to volunteers.

Charley Davidson
03-08-2010, 07:15 PM
Got all my confirmations for volunteering & camping looking forward to it :)