PDA

View Full Version : Southern Ontario Regional Metalmeet 2010

kenb
02-23-2010, 10:27 AM
http://www.metalmeet.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=6&pictureid=40http://www.metalmeet.org/forum/picture.php?albumid=6&pictureid=40

Hello Metalshapers,

The Southern Ontario Regional Metalmeet for 2010 wil be taking place over the weekend of April 23, 24 & 25. I've booked off work for the week after, so my hammering arm will have a few days to recover before I have to be anywhere important!

This Regional Metalmeet will be held in my basement workshop and garage in Dundas, Ontario, which is located just north of the city of Hamilton at the extreme western end of Lake Ontario. Maps to get you here will be provided in this thread a few weeks prior to the event. We've had guests join us from south of the border almost every year since 2006, so if you live close by in a border state, feel free to come up to Canada to shape some metal with us.

Friday April 23 will be mostly a "meet & greet" type of thing, with the doors opening at 7PM for the benefit of anyone coming in from out of town who would like to unload and set up their gear for the weekend.

The hammering will start at 9AM Saturday morning, and will carry on until the last guy standing has had enough for the day, hopefully sometime before 10PM. Sunday will be a repeat performance of Saturday, until sometime in the late afternoon when most people usually start to pack things up for the trip home.

The general format will be the same as previous years, with a mix of rookies and guys who have been shaping metal for a while. Rookies are especially encouraged to join in to take advantage of this opportunity to meet the Metalmeet crowd, as well as to try out some of the metalshaping equipment that will be available for you to use.

If you would like to join in on the fun, please post a reply here in this thread to let us know who's coming, and what equipment and small/medium sized projects you would like to bring along with you.

I'm looking forward to seeing you guys in the spring.

Ken

123pugsy
02-26-2010, 03:36 PM
Hi Ken.

I'll be there with an ewheel, stump, shrinker, stretcher and maybe my new bead roller.

I have no idea on projects I'll be bringing, but I'm sure I'll come up with something.

Do you need any more coupons?

kenb
02-26-2010, 04:34 PM
Hi Ken.
I'll be there with an ewheel, stump, shrinker, stretcher and maybe my new bead roller.
I have no idea on projects I'll be bringing, but I'm sure I'll come up with something.
Do you need any more coupons?

I've got lots of them left from last year, but I should have a look at them to see how they made it through the winter. I put a new roof on the garage last fall, so they ought to be OK, but I'll check to make sure they didn't get rusty.

I could use some more of those tiny sheared stainless filler rods you brought last year, the last batch got contaminated by rainwater before the new shingles went on the roof, so they don't look very nice anymore.

I'll also get you some measurements for the welding table top. I cut the length down by roughly two feet, so it's a bit smaller now. I'll measure it up over the weekend.

Ken

123pugsy
02-26-2010, 06:18 PM
Good stuff.

I just love meet.

It'll be here before you know it.

I have a lot of brass .060 offcuts. Do you need any? Or coupons and welding rods?

fordguyfordman
03-22-2010, 05:30 AM
Less than a month. Now I'm starting to itch.

racer-john
03-22-2010, 05:52 AM
Hj Ken, guess my original reply got lost in the shuffle.
I will try to make it if I get my BMW back together in time,
otherwise try to hitch a ride with someone coming both days. :mad:

derant
03-22-2010, 09:17 AM
Ken,

Still planning to attend on Sat (April 24th).

I'll try to bring what I can in my car...ewheel, handtools etc.

Hopefully the weather will cooperate.

Looking forward to it.

nosire
03-24-2010, 08:03 PM
ken
I am still planning to show up
bob

kenb
03-25-2010, 04:40 PM
Hi Folks,

Thanks for reposting your plans guys, I'm looking forward to seeing everybody again in a few weeks. :)

I guess this is as good a time as any to get the final roll call going to give me an idea of how many people will be turning out, so please post a quick note here if you are coming over and haven't responded to this new thread yet.

My maps to get you here got lost along with the old photo gallery, so I'll make up a new set and get them posted here in a couple of days. If anybody from out of town needs information about accomodations, just let me know and I'll call around for rates and contact information.

Tom: Are you bringing your english wheel over?

Derrol: I'm interested in seeing how you deal with the wired edge. I did some of those back in tradeschool years ago, but they had a pair of two-stage die-sets for a bead roller to do the job. Seeing how hand methods deal with it will be interesting.

John: I'm looking forward to seeing you, I'm sure we can find a way to get you here somehow if the car isn't ready.

Bob: Let me know if you need any info about accomodations, and we'll make sure you don't end up in some flea-bag motel with no clean towels or anything like that.

Pugsy: I checked the coupons out in the garage, there's lots of them out there and they look OK. Some assorted welding rods couldn't hurt though (especially those stainless ones I mentioned), and I'd really like some of those brass offcuts! I don't have a clue what I'll use them for yet, but I'll figure something out. Oh yeah, I finally went out in the cold and measured up the welding table; 25.75" x 48" will fit nicely with a slightly loose fit.

Things we could use:

- A pair of proper welding goggles set up for welding aluminum. Ian brought over a pair last fall that were just amazing, but I'm not rich enough right now to buy a pair of them yet.

- An old scrap car fender or something similar that's made out of real steel, not that newfangled stuff that won't take welds. Something we can cut up and weld up again a few times that has a bit more shape than flat welding tags. I guess we'll need a saw-zall too if anybody has one!

- If anybody can bring over a TIG machine that would be terrific.

- Gas Saver valve for the Henrob. I'll try to pick one up before the meet, but cash is rather tight right now so I'll have to see how it goes.

- Projects, anybody got something to bring over?

That's all I can think of at the moment, I'll get those maps up shortly.

Ken

fordguyfordman
03-26-2010, 03:57 AM
Hey Ken,

If we need another ewheel I can bring mine. I don't have any new projects in mind right now but I might by then.

Tom

123pugsy
03-26-2010, 08:16 AM
Hi Folks,

Bob: Let me know if you need any info about accomodations, and we'll make sure you don't end up in some flea-bag motel with no clean towels or anything like that.

What's the name of the motel in town beside the Dairy Queen?
I've got to make a reservation.

Pugsy: I checked the coupons out in the garage, there's lots of them out there and they look OK. Some assorted welding rods couldn't hurt though (especially those stainless ones I mentioned), and I'd really like some of those brass offcuts! I don't have a clue what I'll use them for yet, but I'll figure something out. Oh yeah, I finally went out in the cold and measured up the welding table; 25.75" x 48" will fit nicely with a slightly loose fit.

Things we could use:

- A pair of proper welding goggles set up for welding aluminum. Ian brought over a pair last fall that were just amazing, but I'm not rich enough right now to buy a pair of them yet.

- An old scrap car fender or something similar that's made out of real steel, not that newfangled stuff that won't take welds. Something we can cut up and weld up again a few times that has a bit more shape than flat welding tags. I guess we'll need a saw-zall too if anybody has one!

Zip cut blades work good.

- If anybody can bring over a TIG machine that would be terrific.

I've got a portable tig.

- Gas Saver valve for the Henrob. I'll try to pick one up before the meet, but cash is rather tight right now so I'll have to see how it goes.

- Projects, anybody got something to bring over?

Hopefully, I'll have a pattern for my trunk floorpan by then.

That's all I can think of at the moment, I'll get those maps up shortly.

Ken

I'm just writing this as "my message is too short"......
Thank god that's the only thing it told me..:o

derant
03-26-2010, 08:44 AM
Ken,

These the additional items that I can bring for the gas welding setup:

1. Gassaver
2. Alloweld lense - for aluminum.
3. Fluxes - both for aluminum and stainless

Hope these will help.

nosire
03-27-2010, 07:12 PM
ken

how is the border for bringing a damaged fender thru for a project to work on also tools etc. and how about some accomodations to call that have clean towels and no fleas (HAHA)

bob

kenb
03-31-2010, 04:23 PM
Hi Guys,
Sorry about the holdup getting back to you, but I haven't been able to connect to the site since last weekend. For some reason, I can't access Metalmeet.com or .org through my ISP, so I have to go to a freinds place to log on here for now. If I don't get this worked out in a couple of days, I'll post the maps and important updates on my website, which you can reach by clicking the link in my sig line in any post I've made here at Metalmeet.

Pugsy - Here's the Waterdown Motel info:
219 King's Highway 5, Waterdown, ON L0R 2H0‎ - (905) 689-5278‎

Bob - The hotel above is your best bet, it's about ten minutes away and it's easy to find. Pugsy stayed there last year, so he can probably tell you more about how nice it is.
As for the fender, you might want to make a call to customs to check it out beforehand. I haven't made many border crossings for a while, so I'm not really up to date on the details anymore.

If anyone wants to contact me directly before I can log on here again, you can find my e-mail address posted on my website by clicking the "contact me" button.

Ken

123pugsy
04-01-2010, 02:58 AM
Thanks Ken.

Bob: I crossed the border (the opposite way) with the panels from my car project and all my tools. I showed them a printed copy of the Metalmeet webpage and was good to go.
Keep in mind ,this was the American side.
I can't vouch for our wonderful CDN workers.

The motel above doesn't bring back any negative memories, so it must be OK. Its not the Ritz, but I think its OK.
Besides, its right beside Dairy Queen. How bad could that be?:p

nosire
04-02-2010, 08:20 PM
Thanks Ken and Pugsy
bob

123pugsy
04-08-2010, 02:58 PM
The meet's coming up quick. :)

BTT.

kenb
04-15-2010, 08:30 AM
Hi Guys,

Just a quick note to let you know that I can access the site, and I can resume replying to this thread again. :) The maps to get you here are now posted below.

Everything is a go for the Southern Ontario Regional Metalmeet on April 23-25! I'm looking forward to seeing you guys in a week or so.

Ken

http://www.metalmeet.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=97&pictureid=1018

http://www.metalmeet.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=97&pictureid=1019

fordguyfordman
04-20-2010, 05:59 PM
4 days and counting. I'll bring the first try at the headpiece. Haven't posted any pics yet of the second one.

Tom

kenb
04-23-2010, 06:54 PM
Hello Metalmeet,

Everything is all ready to go for the 5th annual Southern Ontario Regional Metalmeet. Some of the folks from out of town arrived this afternoon to have a look around and set up their equipment, and I can't seem to think of anything I've missed yet.

It's looking like we'll have four english wheels to use this year, as well as my Henrob and at least one TIG machine for welding operations out in the garage.

I'm looking forward to seeing you folks in the morning!

http://www.metalmeet.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=111&pictureid=1104

Ken