PDA

View Full Version : inexpensive molds for hydraulic stamping process?

superleggera
09-17-2006, 01:14 PM
For an upcoming project, I need to replicate a curved panel 6.5in wide (with 6in radius) x 36in long (with 50in radius) about 1000 times. 500 items in copper @.050 and another 500 in aluminum .050

I can hammerform via a mold in fiberglass, etc and final finish via the english wheel -- but way too many items and thus too labor intensive.

I have access to large hydraulic rams that I could utilize to create a quasi-press fixture.

I looked into doing a CNC'd male / female stamp in steel -- but cost prohibitive for such a small production run of items.

Thus curious if there are alternatives for making a moderately inexpensive mold for stamping via a hydraulic process? I've contemplated using concrete with rebar to create the two molds, but wasn't sure if it would work. Ideas? Suggestions?

Thanks!

kerrystagmer
09-17-2006, 05:15 PM
have you considered having the masters made in bronze or aluminum? They could be sand cast from wood or styrofoam masters.

IF you can find a small foundry to do it , its usually quite cheap. American Alloy Foundry in Baltimore Maryland has priced stuff cheaply in one offs in the past, but any sand casting foundry should be able to do it for you.

Bronze would be more as material prices are high right now, but VS machining or using concrete it seems a far better option

Randy Ferguson
09-17-2006, 08:35 PM
Hi Mark,

This is something I've been considering.
http://www.mfcomposites.com/metal2.htm
I believe Ciba has sold this part of their business to another company. I have a contact with a US supplier of the Ren system products. I'll try to call him tomorrow and see what I can find out. If you don't have the CNC capabilities, the casting system looks like our best bet for short run pieces. I don't remember who sent me the link. It was either Jeffrey Mindt or Ralph Meiser. Whichever of you it was, Thank You!!

Gene Newcomb
09-18-2006, 08:04 AM
I made a concreet die once and then pushed it into a sandbag. Broke the bag. I would not suggest it. When you do a draw you do not need a mated female die, just hold downs on the sides to control the draw as the top die air bends it into an open cavity.
Neither fact is neither here nor there. Why don't you just get a 6" ID pipe and slice it and a 6" OD pipe for a top die? Put keys on it and hit it in a press brake.
If all you need is a straight curve down the lenght of 36" no reason to get complicated.
(12" pipe,etc for a 6" radii)

Gene Newcomb
09-18-2006, 08:08 AM
I spoke too soon, didn't notice the 50" radius. Hmmm, I think I would still find a tube or pipe and bend it in the lateral to get a 50" radii. Maybe take some pie slices out.

Doug98105
09-18-2006, 08:48 AM
Hmmm....if it's as simple as it seems, how about making some rolls for a slip roll and doing it that way. A while back someone posted a picture of a fender rolling machine, this would be the same concept. It'd be simple to turn a set of three contoured rolls.

Another option for press dies would be Hydro-Stone from US Gypsum. It's a high strength plaster used for forming dies among other uses, and it's relatively inexpensive, less than $30/100 pounds. The press method could be done with a single die and a rubber or urethane pad to form the material.

Doug

http://www.metalmeet.com/photopost/data/500/formed.jpg

kerrystagmer
09-18-2006, 01:00 PM
contoured rolls!!! great option! DO THAT DO THAT!!!!

lol and post the project so we can see if it works before we make new rolls up ourselves!.

I saw the video of that roller working, made my head hurt