PDA

View Full Version : Minnesota Mini meet Sept 16 2006

Gene_Olson
09-08-2006, 10:06 AM
I thought I ought to restate this with a clearer title.

So far, we have a few people coming

Richard Kleinschmidt
Richard Fizzell
Mary Rollins
Jesse Larson
Jim King
Peter Miles
Bob Kinghorn
Ky Michaelson
Anthony Cox
Derald Timm
Brandon McCarthy

http://www.chriswilsonstudios.com/mettleworks/graphics/meetmap2006.jpg

I just got a nice set of 2" anvils from Joe so small wheel is near ready to go.
I'm still working on the floor space, Keith.

got to get back out there.

Bring some small projects to work on. (or maybe that big piece that you need my 39" wheel to reach the middle of?)

I'll have two e-wheels set up. a shrink die in the pullmax.
I have a lot of 5052 .050 scrap. It works easy when annealed. If you want 3003 bring your own.
I've got some steel around,
How much do you figure we will need?

Those beater bag stands would be good to bring. tucking forks, hammers.

I've got plenty of air (10hp) , so if you want to bring a planishing hammer that would be fine.

Roofing copper works fine, all copper work hardens fast. You have to pay attention. Show me what you want to do, I'll bet we can figure it out.

I've got a tig, a mig, a henrob, a weed burner for annealing and huge tank for quenching. a couple 12" and a few 6" sand bags (but my bag stand is built into a jig for the duration) I just use the work table. . a couple anvils, We can tip the little melting furnace on it's side and use it for a forge.

I've got a little HF bead roller that I haven't gotten around to reinforcing yet.
we'll see. . .

Derald Timm
09-08-2006, 11:22 AM
Gene,
What are the hours? I may be able to stop in for a couple of hours in the morning.
derald

Gene_Olson
09-08-2006, 01:10 PM
about 9 AM till we get tired, There will be some setup stuff to do if you come early. :grin:

Peter Miles
09-08-2006, 02:44 PM
I will be coming without any projects in hand but I am looking forward to the day.

About how much time should I allow to drive up from downtown Minneapolis?

Peter

Gene_Olson
09-08-2006, 02:57 PM
Peter, it's usually about 35-45 min. Rush hour, double that.

Gene_Olson
09-11-2006, 02:28 PM
Yeah, but Kerry told me then, that he was wondering when we were going to hit the Canadian border, but he mellowed out a bit after a couple helpings of pot roast.

And speaking of food, I figure it's time to inaugurate the pig and see how well it works as a chafing dish. I picked up some ribs and the neighbor's gonna smoke em. Should be coming out of the cooker around 1:30-2 . . . That pig holds a lot of ribs.

We've picked up a few more attendees, should be a good time.
I think this place attracts characters.

I ran into Ky Michaelson as he was hanging around at the closing of his show at the Bloomington Art Center.
He says he wants to add some curves to his next motorcycle project and plans on coming up to play.

Here is his tricycle with rocket assist.
http://www.the-rocketman.com/art_center/033.jpg

Gonejunking
09-11-2006, 04:07 PM
Now that is my kind of 3 wheeler!!!!!!!!!!:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

kustomizingkid
09-11-2006, 07:54 PM
I will be coming for sure. I work in the morning so i will probably make it out there around three or so. is my 53 a small project i could bring along??:smile: :smile:

I can bring out my harbour frieght bead roller which is all reinforced and ready to roll.

Brandon McCarthy

Gene_Olson
09-11-2006, 08:18 PM
Great, Brandon.
I'll be looking for ya.

Gene

Gene_Olson
09-12-2006, 05:22 AM
Jim,
You said you might have time to help set up.
I'll be workin on that Fri.
Anybody else that wants to help?

G.

JKING
09-12-2006, 05:53 PM
Gene, I have to work on Fri, but I could be there by 6pm if you are still working. I can also come early Sat. Let me know what works :-)

:roll: Mabye if I make some deals, and sign my name in blood I can get off early friday????:twisted:

Jim King

Gene_Olson
09-12-2006, 06:46 PM
That would be great Jim. An extra hand in the eve. would be a big help.

Gene

Kerry Pinkerton
09-12-2006, 07:00 PM
Gene, the best thing about having a meet is that you are FORCED to clean your shop. You'll find all kinds of things you forgot you had...or at least forgot where you put them. We have these county supplied 50 gallon trash cans and I'll usually fill up mine and my neighbors twice each time I have a meet. And that doesn't include stuff that I burn or put out for the rubbish guys.

I've decided that if I haven't used it or needed it in the past 2-3 years I probably never will so it's going away! Cheapest way to increase shop space there is to throw things out!

Wish I could be there.

Peter Miles
09-13-2006, 07:45 PM
Gene,

Let me know if you need another pair of hands Friday night.

I can't do any heavy lifting this week because of some abdominal stitches acquired last Thursday, but I'm OK other than that.

Peter

Derald Timm
09-17-2006, 08:36 PM
Gene
Thanks for hosting the mini meet and sharing your knowledge. The only thing that I could see bad about it was that I had to leave way to early and missed the ribs along with more of the association with metal shaping people.

derald :|

Gene_Olson
09-17-2006, 09:16 PM
Thanks Derald,
And all the rest of you for coming.

The ribs got done before I had the potable pan liner finished for the pig so we just chowed down out of the the roaster they came over in. Everybody seemed jealous that I had Dave and his smoker next door.

It was late evening when Jesse, Rich, J (my brother) and I called it a night.
Everybody took off in time to avoid the worst of the storm. There had been lightning appoaching and after John left and Rich retired, I was just standing up to go in the office and shut down the computers when crash boom the lights went out. I went in and shut off all the power to kill any surges but this AM discovered that My computer won't turn on. I hope the drives are ok.
The rest of the network seems ok. I am posting from Chris' computer in the same office.

Oh well, I wanted a new machine any way. . . . I just hope the drive is intact.

We came out pretty well here. The storm felt like we were stuck in an industrial dish washer, but left us pretty much unscathed. Half a mile south there were big trees down and 7 miles south a gust of wind swept down and lodged (like in a wheat field, knocked down) all or parts of 130 houses killing a 10 year old and injuring others. A semi was thrown into a power pole and power was out for about 3 hours.

G.

Richard K
09-17-2006, 10:42 PM
Gene and Chris,

Thanks for opening your studios and hosting the group. Visiting the Mettleworks is always exciting. Gene and Chris are energetic artists, get a lot accomplished and still are able to give freely of their time to the various groups, guilds and gatherings that they participate in. Gene is patient and helpful, somehow finds in his heart time for those us with unending questions and show me please requests.

I got a chance to try the repousee' process of forming metal with punches (they look like punches) and a light hammer. The metal is worked over a bed of pitch.

We had fun and enjoyed seeing old and new metalshapers. Thanks again Gene and Chris.

Kirsten
09-18-2006, 03:07 AM
Bring on the photos and reviews. I had a good weekend at the Crawford County Art Festival, but I'm sorry I missed this Metalmeet.

JKING
09-18-2006, 10:16 AM
Had a great time at Genes this weekend, To bad I had to leave when I did. It was nice to meet new people. Gene has a great shop with lots of neat toys. Richard also brought one of his machines and we got to see how it worked. Really a nice design.

Thanks again Gene, Glad to see you made it through the storm OK.

Jim King

Peter Miles
09-18-2006, 08:44 PM
I had a fantastic time there. There were probably close to 20 people there in the late morning but many had to leave with other commitments on this nice fall day.

I took some pictures which I will post as soon as I can get them loaded into my gallery. I failed at that 3 times tonight.

If you want tender dry ribs, Chris and Gene's neighbor is definitely the guy to contact. There was an astonishing amount of meat on those ribs - I'll bet some of them were close to a pound of meat each.

Again, as soon as I can upload the photos, I will do so and add them to the thread.

Peter Miles
09-18-2006, 09:22 PM
Ok, I forgot to reduce the file sizes. I will do a few pictures now and the remainder tomorrow night.

This event was held at the 36 acre property that has been in Chris Wilson's family for a long time and that Chris and Gene now share. They are both artists in a variety of mediums and there are facilities here for most of them.

Walking down the driveway on Saturday morning, here are some of the cars of people that got there on time. Myself, I got sidetracked by the nearby Northern Tool store.

http://www.metalmeet.com/photopost/data/4062/medium/Cars_on_Approach_2_.JPG

There are curiosities all around the grounds. I spied this smiling guy while walking in:

http://www.metalmeet.com/photopost/data/4062/medium/Face_Mold_2_2_.JPG

We'll ignore the house for now, and concentrate on the other buildings.

I don't know what's in it, but you have to love the door:

http://www.metalmeet.com/photopost/data/4062/medium/MooTel_2_.JPG

Now we walk past the old family barn that is now Chris's studio:

http://www.metalmeet.com/photopost/data/4062/medium/Chris_s_Barn_2_.JPG

And now, what we all primarily came for, the heavy metal shop!

http://www.metalmeet.com/photopost/data/4062/medium/TheShop_2_.JPG

And now, Minnesota MiniMeet 2006!

We go inside and see Gene saying:

http://www.metalmeet.com/photopost/data/4062/How_to_Hold_a_Hammer_2_.JPG

This is the only tool that I have, I do everything with just it...............

I will post more tomorrow:D