PDA

View Full Version : Shaping in the Heartland!

Tin Head
07-22-2006, 04:34 PM
Announcing a Shaping in the Heartland!

I will be hosting a one day meet at my home shop near Andover, Ks (Wichita area) on Saturday, the 19th of August, 2006. We will try to begin between 8:00 and 9:00 am and go until ?. Since I don't have a fully equipped shop yet, a few first class gentlemen have stepped up and graciously volunteered to fill in with some of their metal shaping equipment to help put this event on, along with bringing their metal shaping knowledge to share.

Bring your own personal protection devices such as hearing, hand and eye protection. Also any personal shaping tools you wish. A quick note in this thread will allow me to get an idea of how many intend to attend.

Bob

WDSmith
07-23-2006, 09:37 AM
I figure a feller shouldn't miss that one.
Seldom get to meet first class gents. <G>
All I got to do now is save my pennies for gas and keep my old bones in working condition.

WDSmith

whateg01
07-23-2006, 11:28 AM
I don't have much in the way of metalshaping tools, but I can bring me. Most of the fab work I do involves tubing or something else that comes in sticks, but I'll bet there's plenty for me to learn.

Let me know if you want any help getting ready. I'm about 10-ish minutes away. (My wife says that with me, -ish means +/- a couple of hours. :) )

Dave

whateg01
07-23-2006, 11:30 AM
I figure a feller shouldn't miss that one.
Seldom get to meet first class gents. <G>
All I got to do now is save my pennies for gas and keep my old bones in working condition.

WDSmith

Being from Ok, can't you just put a sail on your roof and steer? ;)

Dave

68vert
07-23-2006, 03:52 PM
Im in Haysville let me know if you need any help also.

Dave C

Boogiemanz1
07-23-2006, 09:38 PM
I'll be there, I'll bring some tools and a few project ideas..........john

Tin Head
08-01-2006, 05:52 PM
Thought I would bounce this back to a current subject. WD, Dave, Dave, John, looking forward to the 19th. Right now sounds like about a dozen or so of us.

John, I did get the tig delivered last Friday.:D It is all hooked up and I am using it to weld together my Ewheel frame. I took to it pretty easily as I have been practicing where ever anyone would let me. Besides, it is so much like gas welding, only without that pesky flame.

Got some machining to do on a few pieces, but my friends lathe burned up the motor. So I need to find someone to do them. Hope that goes better than my previous searches for a machinist.:roll: Anyone know a local machinist looking for a small job? Got some lathe and mill work needing done in the next couple weeks.

Bob

Boogiemanz1
08-01-2006, 09:20 PM
PM me what you need done, If you want to run down this weekend we might be able to do it.

whateg01
08-02-2006, 04:57 PM
Looking forward to it also. PM me if I can be of any assistance in getting ready. Actually, it might be better if you email me. I'll email you my cell phone number in case that works out better for you.

Dave

Tin Head
08-02-2006, 08:12 PM
Thanks John and Dave,

I sent you each an email. John, I hope my drawings make sense to you.

Bob

Boogiemanz1
08-02-2006, 09:15 PM
Fine drawings!.......john

Tin Head
08-08-2006, 07:44 PM
Getting close to meet time, so thought I would give you a clue where in the sunflower state my shop is. Here is a link to the map, but it appears incorrect. Didn't find one that looks right, but it will get you close. My address is 1125 Betsy Ross Dr, Andover, Ks. The map shows me too far to the right, I am at the intersection of Monticello and Betsy Ross, just left of the star. The red dome house, on the south side of the street.

Map (http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?formtype=address&addtohistory=&address=1125%20E%20Betsy%20Ross%20Dr&city=Andover&state=KS&zipcode=67002%2d7897&country=US&geodiff=1)

Bob

whateg01
08-09-2006, 12:24 AM
Does this look any closer?

http://maps.yahoo.com/maps_result?newFL=Use+Address+Below&addr=1125+E+Betsy+Ross+ln&csz=andover+ks&.intl=us&name=&lat=&lon=&srchtype=a&qty=&new=1&trf=0&getmap=Get+Map

Dave

Tin Head
08-09-2006, 04:02 AM
Does this look any closer?
Dave

Well, it is off to the left as far as the other is off the other direction. I'm right in between the two. At least they show me on the correct side of the road. One I looked at had me accross the road and on a stretch of road that isn't there.

By the way, don't forget safety equipment and whatever else you might feel like bringing. I will have some steel.

Bob

Gene Newcomb
08-09-2006, 09:52 AM
WD I don't recall your old bones working as designed last time we had a meet around here.
Sorry I'll have to miss it. My boy Sam has his first tackle footabll game that day.
Gene

Boogiemanz1
08-09-2006, 02:53 PM
Is Sam still beating on that bowl?

http://www.metalmeet.com/photopost/data/3801/Dcp_0045.jpg

John

whateg01
08-09-2006, 08:52 PM
Well, it is off to the left as far as the other is off the other direction. I'm right in between the two.
Bob

Well, I tried. I'll play it like horseshoes. Close counts. ;)

Dave

Gene Newcomb
08-10-2006, 12:13 PM
John,
No he has graduated to hitting on other boys. The funny part is I know a football coach from his basketball team & I take him to the NE side of town to play. 30 black kids and two white and he is still the biggest one!
Gene

Tin Head
08-16-2006, 08:24 PM
Just a reminder, Shaping in the Heartland is going on this Saturday.

Bob

whateg01
08-17-2006, 11:07 PM
Bob, please correct any comments that are incorrect below.

Just to let everybody know (cuz I'm familiar with the area and still drove past the road and had to turn around at SW Prairie Creek Rd), you can't turn directly onto McCandless Rd going east. You have to go past it and come back or turn at the first left after the eDeals place on the South side of US-54 and come in from the west. I think that road is Archer Dr.

Dave

Tin Head
08-18-2006, 07:36 AM
Bob, please correct any comments that are incorrect below.

Just to let everybody know (cuz I'm familiar with the area and still drove past the road and had to turn around at SW Prairie Creek Rd), you can't turn directly onto McCandless Rd going east. You have to go past it and come back or turn at the first left after the eDeals place on the South side of US-54 and come in from the west. I think that road is Archer Dr.

Dave

Archer is the road that is accessable from the east bound lane of 54/400. It runs to the north and forces you to go left or right at it's end. You need to go right, but turning either way puts you on Betsy Ross. The very next chance to turn off of 54/400 is to a dead end road going north, so you must turn around and then take McCandless to the north. It will curve to the west/northwest and when it does, it becomes Betsy Ross. Both Archer and McCandless northbound are only a few blocks long before they terminate at Betsy Ross and Archer doesn't go south of 54/400.

Bob

whateg01
08-18-2006, 10:21 AM
Thanks Bob. It seems that Butler Co (and maybe Andover) doesn't do a good job of making the street signs visible. It seems everytime I have to go somewhere new around Andover, I have to backtrack to get to it. Maybe it's because it's a small sign, it's dark, and I'm going 60 or 65 MPH. Anyway, thanks for the directions.

Looking forward to tomorrow.

Dave

Tin Head
08-20-2006, 07:33 AM
I want to thank John Boogiemanz1 Brown for his participation at the Shaping in the Heartland meet. We had a very good, but small, meet. Everyone that wanted to got to get there hands dirty and make something. There were a few local guys not members of either metal shaping forums. A couple were skeptical of learning anything. I got a big thank you from them and was asked if they could come back if I held another one.

Attendees were John Brown, Russ Ackerman, Larry Ackerman (Russ's dad) Butch Maguiness, Dave Hanson and Jesse Nienke. Russ got busy right away making a bowl with his dad helping. He was a beast with John's big hammer.

Jesse worked on a free form shape that he was seeing a wall lamp in. He told me he thinks he will do it again, but in some copper I have had lying around.

John and I went to work on copying an Indian fender he brought along. Our goal was to make half of it along with one side skirt. Butch jumped in helping me cut it out and making a flexible shape pattern. We got all the layout done about the time Dave showed up and I handed it to him to allow him some time at tuck shrinking and wheeling. He was diligent at the task and after many tucks and trips to the wheel, he had something very close to what we were trying to make.

I had thought the fender half would be a good project. It gives you a reason to pull a pattern and figure out what your process is going to be. You can then start shaping and go back to the pattern as you get close and try to figure out what you need to do next to get the shape in the areas that need it. It turned out to be a very good exercise as it kept four guys busy the whole day. And we all learned from it.

All in all, it was a great time and went way too fast. John shared many good ideas with the group and showed us some of his tool creations. Some of my tools got a good work out and held up well. Really too bad I wasn't able to get my ewheel finished before the meet. Missed some of the other locals that weren't able to make it due to schedule conflicts.

I have been talking to some other guys and they want to help out and may even move it to a slightly bigger shop. We are discussing a different date, maybe earlier in the year. Anyone with a preference on the date?

Bob

whateg01
08-20-2006, 11:11 AM
Just want to say a big "THANK YOU" to Bob for having this meet. And John for imparting on us all some knowledge. And everybody else for making it a good time. I learned something from everything that was going on, even when I wasn't actually doing the work. I agree with Bob that the fender was an excellent learning experience. I learned how shrinking and stretching work together (and against each other) to make a part take shape. Before yesterday, I only knew that tuck shrinking was supposed to work. Yesterday, I got to experience it firsthand. Stretching and shrinking due to metal cooling down were things I was already slightly familiar with, unfortunately, because of welding projects and attempted collision repair in the past. But yesterday, I learned how to use them to my advantage, and something about how to predict and control them. I was also reminded of my woodworking adventures, where making something by hand is alot of hard work. :) But, again, it was an excellent experience. Hopefully John does some touchup work on my photo, maybe attach my head to the body of some muscle builder, before posting it?

Thanks again everybody. It was good to meet some new faces, and I certainly had a great time.

Dave

Boogiemanz1
08-20-2006, 10:16 PM
I had a good time at Shaping in the Heartland. Our host Bob Nienke provided us with a super shop to work in, tools, and refreshments. I enjoyed meeting everyone, most of which worked in the aircraft industry. Several of the guys jumped in and really made an effort to learn the basics. Dave and Russ excelled at tuck shrinking and planishing/shaping with a wheel. Jesse chose a shape that was hard to planish, but made it happen.

I got to see Bob's fabricated wheel project. He made a valiant effort to have it done for the meet, but chose quality over speed in the long run. I don't blame him, it looks too good to rush, he will be glad he waited it will be a very nice machine.

Here are a few photos............john

http://www.metalmeet.com/photopost/data/4038/Dcp_0116.jpg

http://www.metalmeet.com/photopost/data/4038/Dcp_0115.jpg

http://www.metalmeet.com/photopost/data/4038/Dcp_0114.jpg

http://www.metalmeet.com/photopost/data/4038/Dcp_0113.jpg

http://www.metalmeet.com/photopost/data/4038/Dcp_0112.jpg

russmyster
08-21-2006, 04:45 AM
Thanks!
I had a very good time. I ended up working much harder that I had planned to.
I also think there were some new friendships frorged in the shop that day.
Now I have all kinds of ideas.

whateg01
08-21-2006, 07:46 AM
Something else I gained Saturday was confidence that I can make some of the things I want to make. That helps alot!

Thanks again!

Dave

Boogiemanz1
08-21-2006, 08:24 AM
Dave, Russ, those are things that you will bring away from most of these meets. They must be passed on to be fully appreciated......:mrgreen: ............john

whateg01
09-04-2006, 10:25 PM
Hey, Bob!

How's that wheel coming? You need to put some pics up here.

Dave

Tin Head
09-05-2006, 07:16 PM
Hi Dave,

I don't know about anybody else, but I get about 80% of my projects done in pretty short order. The other 20% tends to eat up so much time. That is where I am now, the last 20%. Just have the adjuster to finish and get it blasted and painted. I'll share some pictures in a day or two, after the adjuster is done.

Bob

steamingd
09-06-2006, 04:47 AM
It has always been my understanding that the first 90% of a project requires 90% of the time, and the last 10% of the project requires the other 90% of the time. (I believe this is a quote from someone, but can't remember who).

Dale M

whateg01
09-06-2006, 05:27 PM
It has always been my understanding that the first 90% of a project requires 90% of the time, and the last 10% of the project requires the other 90% of the time. (I believe this is a quote from someone, but can't remember who).

Dale M

LOL! Ain't that da truth!

Dave

Tin Head
09-06-2006, 07:55 PM
And the worse part is it is taking place in an area 3" high and 6" wide. No, I couldn't just use someone else's adjuster design, it wouldn't be mine! :lol: Got to over think everything!

Bob

whateg01
09-07-2006, 07:09 PM
And the worse part is it is taking place in an area 3" high and 6" wide. No, I couldn't just use someone else's adjuster design, it wouldn't be mine! :lol: Got to over think everything!

Bob

And that's what makes it unique! Just like everybody elses. ;)

Can't wait to see it when it's done. Actually, I wouldn't even mind seeing the progress you've made.

Dave

Tin Head
09-10-2006, 07:34 PM
Hey Dave,

Finally got the thing together and actually gave it a trial run today.:D Seems pretty stiff to me, but what do I know!!:lol: It's the first one I have ever built and probably only have a grand total of less than two hours on an ewheel, period.

If I knew anyone close that had one, I would have probably just have borrowed time on one from them. My employer sure won't let me use the one at work, nor the Eckhold or Yoders for that matter. By the way, I used it to tune up your fender project some. Worked well enough I thought!

Enjoy the pics, or come over and take a look if you want. Many thanks to John Brown and his friend Dave for their help on the machined pieces. Thanks to Russ Ackermann for his help and also for all the ideas from this forums members.

Funny thing I noticed a week or so ago is its resemblence to Kent Whites design, but its design was actually influenced by the old cast iron wheels I have grabbed pictures of over the years. Even the round ram idea was taken from one.

Cross section is 5" x 8" x 1/4" wall for most of it, but it gets pretty thin under the lower die holder. There it is doubled up in thickness on both sides ending down where it is 8" wide again and trippled on top, just under the die holder adjustment plate. All done without a welding table and most of it was tigged so I could get some tig time under the hood. Was probably harder than it needed to be without a welding table. And, like everything else I do, there were plenty of mistakes made on this one, but none of them seems to be of any consequense in its use so far.

http://www.metalmeet.com/photopost/data/500/medium/Ewheel12.jpg One more of the adjusterhttp://www.metalmeet.com/photopost/data/500/medium/Ewheel22.jpg

Bob

Tin Head
09-11-2006, 04:12 AM
Thanks Kerry,

That means a lot to me coming from you. Yes, the casters do allow a little rocking back and forth and I will most likely deal with that in the near future.

The back bone is 5" x 8" and it stays that size until the center of the top where it tapers to 5" x 7". It is boxed construction made of 1/4" HR and has a 32" throat. There are a few internal stiffeners to eliminate flex. The head is 1/2" plate.

Got to get it dis-assembled now and have it blasted before I paint it. Running out of painting weather, so I got to get after it.

Bob

whateg01
09-11-2006, 07:56 AM
Bob,

Nice! I'll most certainly have to come over and give it a spin sometime. I guess it will depend on when you end up getting it painted. I know that this coming weekend is full up and then some. (Daughter's birthday party on Saturday and I'm going to try to go the Ol' Marais River Run car show in Ottawa on Sunday. I know there is something else that has to get done this weekend, but darned if I can remember what it is.)

I'll have to give you a call sometime and come over, though.

Again, looks good!

Dave