PDA

View Full Version : '29 ford rod stance

GrantH
07-11-2006, 02:34 PM
New guy here, the screen name is the real name, so im already friendly haha. I am 18, making money however i can (legally). I don't have a "real" job, but I have started selling vintage clothing on ebay. I have come to love 29 fords, and the like, along side volkswagon beetles chopped and extended up front, as well as minitrucks and anything LOW! Is there somewhere that would be easier to find an old ford body (steel) or is it luck of the draw to find them in the country areas now? Fiberglass isnt in my vocabulary when dealing with bodies, so it must be steel. Also, the stance I like, if anyone would care to chime in on how it is achieved would be greatful. There will be a link at the end of the post. I THINK its a matter of Z'ing the frame outback? What about upfront? They are usually drop ford beams im guessing? Are the bodies just channeled over the frame?
I want it to be something i can DRIVE, preferibly a pretty reliable car that I can take on trips, comforatable ride or not.

http://www.dynamat.com/gallery/Dynamat_Demo/1929_Ford_Thunderroad/1929_Ford_Thunderroad_03.jpg

docauto
07-11-2006, 03:49 PM
Hi Grant, welcome! The picture of the 28-9 pickup is actually a 2 door sedan (tudor) that has been chopped and shortened into a closed pickup. That is a VERY good way to get some extra room in a Model A (they are tiny inside, and when you channel the body over the frame, no one but very small people can ride in them). This is not a simple project though. In most cases for this style rod you will end up building your own frame. Original Model A frames are too wimpy to be Z'd (I know I'll get flamed on this one!) and they are too short.

Bodies are starting to get difficult to find, especially rust free ones. I just bought a nice 28 tudor body for $2500, though I've seen many for less $$, you're money ahead buying the best sheetmetal available.

Take some time reading through this forum, you'll find great information here.

Good luck!

Dave

GrantH
07-11-2006, 04:09 PM
i was under the impression that body was from factory (of course modified) a 2door sedan, not beginning as a pickup?

edit: my fault, i didnt even see the bed! haha im blind. i want one WITHOUT a bed.

gravy
07-11-2006, 08:24 PM
hi grant

i'm getting ready to do a 29 chop ,channel, shorten, pickup bed, Z frame.
going to do a post on the build up soon. dont have a lot done yet. but we did get a start on it.

johnny BUGLY TOOLS

tdoty
07-11-2006, 08:38 PM
You are NOT cutting up that Tudor to turn it into a pickup, are you Johnny? Does this mean I need to run down there with some transfer tape and some bondo?

Oh well, it's not like I'm getting anything done on my A anyhow :wink: .

Tim D.

doug_walter2002
07-11-2006, 10:12 PM
I'm doing a 29 roadster on 31 chev rails. I'm still working out how I'm going to get in the weeds. I just put the rails back on the frame table a couple of days ago. I'm still looking for a Schroeder sprint car steering box.

GrantH
07-12-2006, 06:27 AM
i figured as of now its out my league money wise and skill wise to do it, but maybe sometime. its my favorite "rat rod" car when people do them that way. I can get somewhat the same look with a volkswagen beetle and throw a subaru motor in it, and have a cool car not a lot of people have done.

tusk
07-12-2006, 07:39 AM
Hey Grant I,ve been lookin at the vw since last year and think there tight lookin with an axle out front. But can't find'em cheap round here cause there all rusted. Have you checked out volksrod.com?
Doug

GrantH
07-12-2006, 09:41 AM
yep, have been a member there for a while. I had a super but sold it, it was actually a limited edition so i got a good penny for it. the rust problem on bugs arent hardly as bad as other cars. heater channels and floor pans is about the worse case really, and those are basic swaps, heater channels being a little bit more difficult cuz you need to jack up the body, but u dont NEED them so you can just add to the pans and delete the channels i believe. Im trying to find a bug, but its difficult to find them in my area. I want to run a dropped ford axle up front linked or something, but im not sure how they go about that, some of those guys are undercover geniuses.