PDA

View Full Version : ternplate

astjp2
07-10-2006, 11:32 AM
Has anyone worked much with Ternplate? I have a 65 year old aircraft gas tank the needs repaired and was wondering what flux I should use and what is the best solder? Thanks for any advice. Tim

LARRY KAEMPFER
07-10-2006, 02:06 PM
yes i have ,and i'ts real fun too, tern is the french word for lead so what you have is well ?? lead plate . you will need a real big soldering iron or copper you dont need any special flux just what you will have for tinplate.. the leadplate will melt at a low temp ,,,,and it will solder and flow great,,,look great,, i'ts so cool to work you don't want to stop...have fun,,,,! "ya hip ??"

jdownie
07-10-2006, 02:44 PM
I believe "plomb" is French for lead. Terne refers to a lead-tin alloy, with about 15% tin.

John

firstgenbird
07-10-2006, 04:30 PM
Eastwood sells a solder paste for solder tinning steel. It works quite well. You spread it on the metal and then heat it with a torch until it flows out. It contains a paste of ground up tin/lead solder and an acid flux.

http://www.metalmeet.com/photopost/data/500/medium/tinning_butter.jpg

Boogiemanz1
07-10-2006, 05:05 PM
The ternplate used on vintage Indian motorcycles is a fairly soft steel with one side tinned..............john