PDA

View Full Version : don't have a lathe

60 convert
06-26-2006, 08:00 PM
I ordered some 2" uhmw rod the other day and was thinking of how to turn it down to fit a hammer. with out a lathe I was wandering if I cut it to length then mounted it in a vise and took a router around the top with a bit that has a bearing at the end to control cutting depth. I believe it should work fine, just wanted to make sure that the uhmw wasn't going to make a mess on me doing this. or if anyone has a better Idea I would like to hear it.
Thanks Jesse

Dawai
06-26-2006, 08:50 PM
Best bet is wood working tools saws, a Chop saw is the best. Mark your fence on the back and chop it away. I had a rigid Miter saw that worked great, cut that uhmw for sliders for a precision fit..

Kerry was talking about casting some plastic mallets out of two part resin. Perhaps the price of them will come down with the labor involved does too.

PaulG
06-26-2006, 09:08 PM
Do you have a drill press? :idea:

CCWKen
06-26-2006, 09:38 PM
It'll probably burn up your router bit and melt unless you can turn the speed WAY down. On a lathe it makes long fishing line that will sometimes grab up all the metal chips you didn't clean up before and throw them all over the place. (Think flying razor blades!)

On a rotory cutter like a router bit, it will want to take big chunks and break bits unless you can control the depth of cut. (.050-.100 would be the max, I would think.)

Being it's just a hammer, carve on it a bit to get the general shape then take it to a sander. I'm guessing you want to make a round face and a flat face?

Or... Send it to someone with a lathe. I'd make 'em if you replace the stock. Just give me the dimentions you want.

60 convert
06-27-2006, 05:13 AM
I know a lathe would be best I was trying to do it myself. manly I am trying to neck it down to fit into a a hammer head. then I was most concerned to make wedges first for shrinking as I do have a baseball mallet. I do have a drill press.
Ideas welcome
Jesse

Gene_Olson
06-27-2006, 05:32 AM
Jesse,

You could drill a two inch hole thru pieces of 3/4 1x4 and stack them into a collar.
put your router bit into the router with the depth set to the amount you want have on the tenon going into the hammer put the 2" wood collar over the router bit and clamp one side firmly to the router, but able to pivot. put the router in a vice or clamp to table.
Rotate the collar to set the running bit into the side and then back out enough to cut into the side of an inserted plastic mallet, clamp both sides of the collar firmly to the router.
Grab the mallet head with some sort of clamp. Stick the mallet head into the collar and rotate it past the bit.
Start large and tune to fit.

or come on out, i need to make another one, too.

Jeff Parker
06-27-2006, 06:40 AM
Way to skin a cat part 6

Have a band saw?? Set your fence for width and a stop. Start hacking away, and hand sand smooth. Be sure to use a clamp to keep the piece from rotating, so it doesn't get yanked away from you.

PaulG
06-27-2006, 07:28 AM
You have to be carfull putting side loads on a drill press (loose chuck) but with a cross slide mounted and a sharp lathe bit in the vise, cutting that stuff should take very little pressure. You can contour it to whatever you want.

rsanter
06-27-2006, 11:09 AM
you may be able to find someone with a wood lathe and an adjustable jaw chuck. should be able to be precise enough with the woodworking tools

bob

runner4404spd
07-05-2006, 04:49 AM
if you haven't cut it down yet, i have a lathe and will cut these down for you cheaply. how many do you need.

my email is

jerry@superiordesignconcepts.com

Jerry

CCWKen
07-05-2006, 05:23 PM
if you haven't cut it down yet, i have a lathe and will cut these down for you cheaply. how many do you need.

Jerry

I already offered to make them and got no response. You can't get any cheaper than free but maybe your price will be more attractive. Oh well. 8-)

Gene_Olson
07-05-2006, 06:12 PM
Jesse said he was going to come out and play with some of my toys.

G.

60 convert
07-06-2006, 07:38 PM
Sorry I have not been on much lately to write but I was talking to Gene about going to his shop but I have been busy my dad is in town for the weekfrm AZ. I apreciate the offers but still want to learn how to do these myself and gene has offered for me to make them with him.
Jesse