PDA

View Full Version : firewall relocating

diywelder
06-24-2006, 02:32 AM
hi all
i am curious to how hard and what it involves to move a car fire wall back. i am saying this because i hav a car that has a short front with a stright six which has 2 cylinders past the steering rack and want to lower the engine and only hav 1 cylinder over the steering. so what would u people do. oxy cut? grinder cut? then tig? mig? henrob?

cheers

Dawai
06-24-2006, 04:01 AM
A 46 dodge panel wagon I sat onto a Jeep wagoneer frame in the 80s? I made a dog box much like a older van. Motor location was fixed on that one.

Henrob is the easiest to weld in sheetmetal I have found. I own a mig, a tig, a stick welder and a henrob two weeks old. Mig is the fastest.

I favor the saddle type mounts on big trucks and buses. Kinda like a drag car or sprint car, a motor plate.

Swapping out a six? you'd be surprised to see a V8 is two cylinders shorter. I swapped out a straight 8 in a old buick once, man that engine belonged in a freight train. It did end up on a sawmill. A vortec V6, man that has some power in a small package.

Boogiemanz1
06-24-2006, 08:42 AM
Hi DIY, the first thing you want to do is to establish how much you need, then what that will affect inside and outside the vehicle. Next is to weld in braces in the cowl section in every direction possible to hold what you have from warping out of shape. A simple box shape will suffice, while radiused corners look much better............weld with what you are familiar with. I suggest studying this site a bit more before you begin............john

Chop
06-24-2006, 04:23 PM
One trick that I have used in the past is to use a wheelbarrow pan. The sheet metal contactor type of wheelbarrow. The metal thickness is good, and it has radiused corners and sides. If you only need 4" to move the motor back, cut that much or more from the bottom of the wheelbarrow, then hold it up to the firewall, and mark the outside edges, cut the firewall out, and then weld in the wheelbarrow bottom.

I hope that I have'nt confused you too much with the description, and I do not know how to illustrate it on the computer. Any questions, ask away, and I may be able to help more.
Again, this is only a different way to do it with "found metal shapes" that are available all around us...you just have to think outside of the box.
Chop

Peter Miles
06-24-2006, 06:18 PM
The sheet metal contactor type of wheelbarrow
OK, I do not have a clue what you are describing............

Chop
06-24-2006, 06:28 PM
http://images.lowes.com/product/converted/049206/049206018242md.jpg
A picture is worth a few words?
Chop

Peter Miles
06-24-2006, 09:03 PM
Did you just mean a typical sheet metal wheelbarrow or a special type of wheelbarrow specifically used by sheet metal contractors?

I had assumed the latter based upon the way that I was reading your sentence, but it seems that the former is what was intended.

If so, DUH on my part................

Tony Sanchez
06-24-2006, 09:53 PM
---Chop, there are several vendors that sell pre stamped firewalls. It may be easier to persue that avenue.
---Tony

Chop
06-25-2006, 06:47 AM
I used this trick on an Anglia back in the 70's when such parts weren't available. I have a 36 Ford Coupe that I am currently streetrodding, and I have a firewall from *****in products that will be the next project.

I just wanted to give DIYWELDER an alternative route, and with something maybe already on hand. Shipping to Australia might be too much on the aftermarket parts.
Chop