PDA

View Full Version : Tig welding

kurt98
05-18-2006, 04:49 PM
I have a flux core wire feed welder I got at home depot. The welder works good on 1/8 but it can not weld sheet metal. I want to know if i can get a tig welder for $300-500.

jlrussell4
05-18-2006, 06:23 PM
Hi Kurt,

Can you switch your mig to gas? I think you would like it much better than the flux core - especially on sheet metal. You might find a used tig for $300 -$500. Be patient in your search.

Joefish
05-18-2006, 06:37 PM
I have a flux core wire feed welder I got at home depot. The welder works good on 1/8 but it can not weld sheet metal. I want to know if i can get a tig welder for $300-500.

Hi Kurt

I was building a tig welder from a b/s engine and a alt. a 130 amp unit out of a cop car,by useing a battery and a sewing machine gas pedel a tig welder can be made. I never finished it as I was getting a used tig tourch for the project I saw the used miller I ended up buying for 700 I thought I got very good deal. I look at craigslist a lot and have never seen any thing cheaper than 1800 - up. My favorite way to get a good deal is at auction but I like some idea if its gonna work. Good luck on your hunt!

Tisdelski
05-18-2006, 06:46 PM
hi kurt,

if you can get the gas setup for your mig, it would at least be usable till you can find a tig for reasonable.

i bought a miller 330 a/bp on e-bay a while back for 350.00, needed a footpedal , torch, and ground lead. its up and going now and i have about 550.00 in it, so there are deals out there .

gary

rsanter
05-19-2006, 11:26 AM
I would do the the gas conversion for the mig to start.
remember , you can TIG with an arc welder ac-dc but you do not have the foot pedal. you can also buy one of those cheap HF tig welders which are just a cheap arc welder with a tig lead and a gas flow regulator that they past a label on that says "scratch start TIG welder'

rchudgins
05-19-2006, 02:33 PM
hi kurt,

if you can get the gas setup for your mig, it would at least be usable till you can find a tig for reasonable.

i bought a miller 330 a/bp on e-bay a while back for 350.00, needed a footpedal , torch, and ground lead. its up and going now and i have about 550.00 in it, so there are deals out there .

gary

I did too! I have a little less than $1000 in the whole setup, tank, flowmeter, 250amp water-cooled torch, new pedal, everything. With that 1984 model Miller I can butt weld 22ga. mild steel all day long, and I'm NOT good with TIG welding yet. I'm still trying to learn to do aluminum, but I still get some nice beads, even without the pulser or squarewave, and on very thin (.035") stuff. 300 amps to 5 amps, that 330 A/BP is unreal, smoothest DC you'll find anywhere. I will never outgrow that machine, and would buy it again in a heartbeat. I think the pulsers and the squarewave functions are nice, but you can definitely live without them.

Professur
05-19-2006, 08:16 PM
If you're more interested in results than owning a tig, perhaps this (http://www.eastwoodco.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=1294&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=1412&iSubCat=1413&iProductID=1294) might suit. I've never tried it, but they claim the 'stich' attachment can get nice beads on 22 guage, and it also comes with a spot weld attachment.

Tisdelski
05-19-2006, 11:10 PM
If you're more interested in results than owning a tig, perhaps this (http://www.eastwoodco.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=1294&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=1412&iSubCat=1413&iProductID=1294) might suit. I've never tried it, but they claim the 'stich' attachment can get nice beads on 22 guage, and it also comes with a spot weld attachment.
hi professur,
i`m interested in results. i don`t think you can get a better result by stick welding sheet than a tig or even a o/a setup.

would love to try the attachment on the tig (stick welder w/hi frequency),

eastwood is is selling what looks to be a real cheesy stick welder with an attachment for spot welding and for arc welding sheet.

gary

Professur
05-20-2006, 05:02 AM
Better results, no, of course not. But adaquate results? Maybe. But if it works, it's a dirt cheap solution to his problem. They sell the attachments separately, but since he's only got a flux core mig, he'd need the power supply too.

I'm tempted to buy the attachments just to be able to critique them. Maybe after summer vacation. Right now, that's the entire budget: bills and vacation fund.

John

chrism99
08-16-2006, 10:20 PM
Kurt:

Even if you can't convert your mig to a gas shielded setup, I'd hold off looking for a TIG welder until you have a bit of experiencce with MIG. Do a bit of homework and ask some old farts a few questions. Welding thin sheet with TIG takes a bit of technique, practice and reeeal steady hands. You'd be better off selling your current setup and buying a better MIG unit. For most amateur work, this is the better way to go, plus you can spend your time honing your shaping skills instead of sharpening tungsten.