PDA

View Full Version : Race car Chassis Design and Construction

stkgc
03-30-2006, 11:18 AM
like to know what kind of welder to used for a race car building and also what kind of books do i need to build a race cars. any info please thakyou shawn:grin:

sha_ba_do_bang
03-30-2006, 12:26 PM
You can't simply buy a welder and a book and build a race car. I can recommend some good books and a good welder. But there is alot more. What kind of race car? Late Model, Circle Track, Drag Car, Sprint Car, Off Road Rally, Formula?

This might be an opinion but the most important part of any race car is the suspension, it is the most flexible in terms of adjusting and has the most effect to the handling. So a good suspension design book is good, Chassis Engineering and Race Car Engineering by Van Valkenburh are good books and are on amazon.com. Start learning the geometry and suspension characteristics and how they effect the handling, maybe mess around with a stock car a little and do some track testing.

As far as welders go, alot of race car fabrication in nascar and IRL is done with the TIG process. I'd get a TIG if i were you, the lincoln p185 and miller synchrowave 200 are good machines

Cars and Racing require very deep pockets and lots of free time, don't expect to make any money at all, just do it for fun. Good Luck, and read thru these posts on this website and you will learn alot.

rsanter
03-30-2006, 01:14 PM
For local amatuer racing you can use mig depending on the type of chasis, design of the cage, type of tubing and materials you will be using.

the preferred would be tig

for anything more than local spertsman type racing you should go tig

bob

bobadame
03-30-2006, 02:14 PM
Carrol Smith's "Design to Win" is a good place to start. Barnes and Noble can get this series of books for you. Good luck.

stkgc
03-30-2006, 03:37 PM
thanks for the infor i like to build a dirt track car or asphalt car or a prostock car

Chassisguy
03-30-2006, 07:01 PM
thanks for the infor i like to build a dirt track car or asphalt car or a prostock car

Well the first two are with in reason for a first time builder, but a prostock car, woooo man. That's a whole different animal. There are very strick SFI specifactions to be adheared to in building cars of that type.
As far as I am concerned the most important part of any racecar would be the roll cage, which will save you life when something goes wrong. And be sure if you race long enough something will.
If you go to a local book store (Boks-A-Million) they have a great selection of chassis and race car books. You really need to decide on what you want and go from there. I started with a little Miller 130 mig and it worked fine. It was just slow go due to the duty cycle. In my opion a good mig would be the best choise for starters. Unless you get into really fast cars you will not "need" a tig yet.
Thats just my 2 cents
If I can help anymore just let me know.

stkgc
03-31-2006, 11:41 AM
is it easy take a car out of a local junk yard car for dirt tack or asphalt car make out of it and weld in a roll cage thanks again shawn

sha_ba_do_bang
03-31-2006, 12:07 PM
Thats what you should do, dirt track racing is inherently destructive, so i would check local rules and get yourself one. Rip out the interior, windows and any non essential weight. Weld in a roll cage and off you go

stkgc
03-31-2006, 12:25 PM
thanks for helping me all shawn

stkgc
03-31-2006, 08:53 PM
guys can u tell me a wire feed welder will work thanks again

Chassisguy
04-01-2006, 05:55 AM
For what you are doing it will work fine.

stkgc
04-01-2006, 07:05 AM
thank you so much

Bambi
04-01-2006, 05:24 PM
From what I gather your not looking to build a Drag car, but a roundy roundy for dirt or asphalt. Probably the best start is to get a copy of the rules and regs from an official at the local track which you would want to race at. Rules and Regs are usually viewed to interpretation leaving lots of folks up in the air. Next is to look at the cars in the class you choose to run in and see what they are doing, taking pics won't hurt, a little courtesy will go a long way, take a pic and next time at the races give a copy of the pic to the owner of said car.
They will also have the latest skinny on where your can get parts cheap, not all stuff has to come in via mail order.
OK for a good source of info for the Stock Car crowd is Steve Smith AutoSports http://www.ssapubl.com/index.cfm
They have books, videos etc on a multitude of subjects for many forms or racing particularly the Stock Car Crowd.
When you mentioned Pro Stock, I think some were thinking of Drag Racing Pro Stocks and not the Pro Stock stock car class, which is a pretty hot ticket in itself. That class can really test your finances.
Happy Racin

Bambi

stkgc
04-01-2006, 05:50 PM
thanks so much i really thankyou all shawn

Homemade44
04-01-2006, 09:51 PM
To get some ideas on what is available on the used market take a look at this site. http://racingjunk.com/

Joe

stkgc
04-01-2006, 09:52 PM
thanks mr. joe

shawn