PDA

View Full Version : MIG, TIG or arc

i_am_fubar
03-27-2006, 10:12 AM
Hi, I'm new to the welding world. But have several projects I wish to do. Mainly, they are high strength structural, mild and stainless steel welds in metal sizes upto 4mm wall 2"x4" rectangular tubes. Along with 2" dia 5mm wall pipe.

I've spoken with several people. And all of them surgest diffent welder types. Does anyone here have any advice. I'm looking at several makes and types for under £250 (about $440).

Many thanks, Fubar.

sha_ba_do_bang
03-27-2006, 01:57 PM
Good luck finding a tig for that thickness under that price, a decent mig new is over that, maybe a used mig or stick? I don't know if you can stick stainless tho, i'll let the master's chime in

i_am_fubar
03-27-2006, 02:06 PM
Well, I've found a MIG for that price. 140A, 3.5mm penetration on mild steel, 4mm on ali. forced air, and a 100% duty cycle at 45A, 15% at 105A. Do these specs sound acceptable for an entry level kit?

docauto
03-27-2006, 02:57 PM
I started with a 160A MIG, and it worked well for most automotive related projects. The key is to get the best wire feed mechanism as possible. The cheapies have a lot of plastic parts in them, and they don't hold up. Also make sure to get the gas bottle kit with the unit, don't waste you time with flux core wire.

140A will be too light for frame work and roll cages, but will be fine for sheetmetal. I now use 200A for everything and there's no comparison, it's so much better for penetration.

Get a decent MIG now and save up for a TIG later, MUCH cleaner welds, very little cleanup.

Dave