PDA

View Full Version : Cheng Sheng

dmeesey
03-15-2006, 10:20 AM
I have the opportunity to pick up a metal lathe made by Cheng Sheng. Anyone know of this? Can I get tooling, bits, cutting tools, etc? Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

FriarTuck
03-15-2006, 11:37 AM
Hi "D", (real name?)

Tooling shouldn't be special in any particular way, being a lathe. Usually comes with a 3 jaw chuck, and a tool post on a cross-slide. The tool posts are pretty universal, and can usually be easily replaced with an "interchangeable" type for a few bucks. Don't know the name, except to say that I thought they made tires. What you really want to be careful of is "play" in the "slides", and the ability to adjust any play out. Especially if it is a used machine. Check around for similar machines on the Net, and see what prices are going for. Really a good deal if you can just pick it up. They are usually heavy beasts. Hope this helps some.

Tuck

Timmy_k
03-15-2006, 06:23 PM
shang bang, bung sung, ching chang, flung dung...Just a word of caution with the imports, make sure the bedways are hardend. A real pain in the neck with all the play and ding dongs on your bedways.

timmy_k