PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly 2hp mill?

Slick
03-15-2006, 07:41 AM
Does anyone have or has anyone used any of Grizzly's smaller tabletop mills? I'm about to pick up one this weekend I think. There is two that are 2hp and very similar...about the only difference I see is the size of the table. I'm leaning toward the one http://www.grizzly.com/products/G3358

Next step up is about 200 bucks more http://www.grizzly.com/products/G1006, larger table and a power feed option which I won't be getting. Other than that they look pretty much the same. They don't show it but it says this one also comes with a vise which depending on how big it is might be worth the upgrade price...I'll have to buy one while I'm there anyway...and they aren't cheap.

I realize they aren't as serious as Bridgeport...but I'm not sure how much milling I'll be doing with it...I'm sure I'll find a need but for now I need a beefy drill press, mine is basically a Grizzly model designed for wood...doesn't like metal to much.

Any comments on these?
Thanks,

Gonejunking
03-15-2006, 07:54 AM
Hi Jason
I have worked with a few of these, and if that's all you can afford, then get the bigger of the 2. The main problem that I have with them is the "Y" axis. If you are milling a part, and want to just take a few more thou of it, it's not the easest to do.

For the price, you might be able to find a used Bridgeport.

Just my 2c

FriarTuck
03-15-2006, 09:17 AM
Hi Slick, I have one of those, and I love it for drilling mostly. It has the Bridgeport r8 quill, so all the same tooling works. I bought mine years before I got my Bridgeport, and at the time it did everything I asked it to do. Basically, I learned on the benchtop mill/drill, and when I got more skilled, and moved on to the Bridgeport. The one big difference is that on the mill/drill, you have to "raise" the head, instead of "lowering" the table, and the machine really doesn't do it well. I have had to replace the worm gear on the head once. It is a heavy chuch of iron to raise. The Bridgeport table raises and lowers so easily, it just makes it simpler. I still use it a lot, it makes a really great drill press for the big holes. I agree with Jeffery though, if you can swing it, that money would be wellspent toward getting a used Bridgeport type mill. It is a very good beginning machine to learn on. But you WILL want to move on to a full size someday, so keep that in mind. Just my nickle...

Tuck

rsanter
03-15-2006, 09:58 AM
unless you have another reason like bieng pinched for space or you want to move it into the basement or something, I would go for the full size B-port or similar machine. you can get some of them fairly cheap as chinese machine (likly made by the same people) and you will have better resale value than the tabletop machine if you step further up later

bob

docauto
03-15-2006, 11:50 AM
I concur. The little ones are fine for aluminum, but they simply don't hold their setting when being "pushed" thru steel. Great for a small home shop though! Other "real" mills without the Bridgeport name (xcello, tree) are just as good, they just cost less without name recognition. If you buy used, try to get as much tooling with it as possible, you can easily double the cost by having to buy it seperately.

Dave

CCWKen
03-15-2006, 08:19 PM
Wow! You can get a used BP for a grand? I'd like to see that. I guess it depends on what part of the country you're in. In this part of the country, you couldn't even get a good BP table for that. I just looked at a machine a few weeks ago that was maybe good for some parts. No head, butchered table, missing handles. The guy wanted $2000. It was probably HIS parts machine.

If you can find a BP in the $1000 range, be prepared to spend another $2000+ to get it in working condition.

Go with the biggest and heaviest machine you can afford and have the space for. Mass is your best friend and the newer the better. Forget shopping names. There's a lot of junk BP's out there that are nothing but boat anchors. Your price range will put you right in the middle of the salvage yard for US machines.

rsanter
03-16-2006, 07:27 AM
I have a B port I got for $2500 and the backlash on the table was still within factory spec (bairly) and then we proceded to wear it out a bit.
when I bought it, the guy was replacing it with a new tiwan copy. I asked to see the machine and it looked great. I rocked the handles and there was more backlash than on the old 1966 machine. I kept my mouth shut and left with my new toy.

I hsve seen new tiwan machines that look 7/8 scale for under $3000 new that would likly be better than the table top machines.

I have a Bport but think I prefer a wells index. you can find a million names on them now and they are all direct copies and will likly serve you well.

if you are a buisness needing great precision then just step up to a nice expensive new one, otherwise shop it around and wait for the deal to come to you

bob

Slick
03-16-2006, 11:50 AM
Thanks for the input guys. I know a full size machine will do larger heavier work but space is becoming a bit of a issue and as I said, I'm not sure how much milling it will actually do, it will get a workout drilling though. I'm really not ready to drop 2K+ on a mill that might just be a big drill to me and I need it fairly new as I just don't have the time or experience using a full size machine to be able to troubleshoot issues with it. Grizzly's showroom is about an hour from me with everything they sell on display so I'll see what kind of vibe I get from all of them on friday. A friend of mine said not to go and just to have it delivered...he was there a few weeks ago and says they have their new CNC mill cutting out steel mustang logo in the showroom...he swears I'll come home with it if I see it running :)

rsanter
03-16-2006, 12:04 PM
you may want to concideer one of the small knee type mills that look like the one you are liiking at but sitting on a base and with the adjustable knee. I think those are $1600 if I remember. the adjustable knee will make the machine alot more user friendly even if it is a big drill press. remember most all drill preses have an adjustable table. some have an adjustable table and head. the adjustable head only is a pain

you are so lucky to have them close to you. I like to see the stuff before I buy it

bob

mag409
03-16-2006, 05:02 PM
I have this one from Grizzly. http://www.grizzly.com/products/G3616So far this machine has done everything I needed it to do. Check out these links for used machinery. Hildebrand is in York, Pa and HGR Industrial is in Cleveland, Oh. They both sell to the public and you can get some good prices on used equipment, especially from HGR. In the last HGR monthly flyer I saw some heavy cast bases that looked like good candidates for a power hammer and they were only $99 each.

http://www.hgrindustrialsurplus.com/[/url] [url="http://www.hildebrandmachinery.com/"]www.hildebrandmachinery.com (http://www.hgrindustrial.com/)

Later,
Mike