PDA

View Full Version : 23 solid axle coil overs

jhb434
03-14-2006, 07:04 AM
Hi, I am new to this forum. I am building a 32 ford coup and I would like to use coil overs on a solid or tube front axle. I have seen pictures in the past but now I can't locate any realy detailed photos of how it's done as far as the shock mounting methods and locations. how do the shocks mount to an I-beam? on a batwing? on the stock shock location? any help would be appreciated. thank you.

Tisdelski
03-14-2006, 08:36 AM
hi _____, (insert name here)
welcome to metalmeet, the lower shock mounts are usually a bolt on piece at the bottom of the batwing or 4 bar and is held on by the large bolt that holds the axle to the batwing or 4 bar.

look up chassis engineering on the net or speedway ,i`m sure they both sell that bracket.

gary

jhb434
03-14-2006, 10:17 PM
I was uncertain if that little lower shock mount held on by the perch bolt had the streangth the support the entire wieght if the front of the vehicle. looks like the simplest method though. thanks.............Jason

jhb434
03-15-2006, 08:59 AM
is that what was done with this car or is this something else? I love the look on this. but it is hard to see detail.
http://www.afcoracing.com/afco_hr.html

jhb434
03-15-2006, 10:24 PM
Thanks Richard, that looks feasable. that would allow me to us an I beem axle.
now, is it safe to assume the nead for a panhard bar? and, if using an I beam, would it be safe to mount a shock mount to the axle? you know, by drilling a hole for it? the way so many are drilled along the leangth why couldn't you just put a substantal stud in one of those holes? but, that's probably just asking for trouble. boy, if someone is making a special bracket for this application I sure would like to know about it. thanks again.............Jason.