PDA

View Full Version : What about this?

mrkarl
01-18-2006, 06:29 PM
Ok, so mallets are REALLY expensive. I was thinking about buying some mallets from harborfreight and then carving them until they are round. Anyone tried this before and had any luck?

Kerry Pinkerton
01-18-2006, 07:15 PM
Imho, you'd be better off making some ball bat mallets. I havent' seen anything at HF that would make a good shaping mallet unless you replace the head on some of the screw in ends.

FriarTuck
01-19-2006, 09:21 AM
Hey Karl, (I'm just assuming it's Karl)

I'm always looking at the HF offerings, but never see anything that looks usuable except for an occasional body/fender hammer. All the deadblows are just rubber, and won't do much good on anything. If they ever offer the UHMW or Nylon head hammers, I will probably take a look.

The bat hammers that Kerry makes are really functional, and are really cheap if you can find a bat or two laying around. (wood of course)

By the way, I am a proud grad of Paradise High a very long time ago. In fact, I think our class was the 4th or 5th class to graduate in '64.

Tuck

kustomizingkid
01-19-2006, 03:24 PM
For stretching hammers being used over a bag anything will work. You could beat a peice of metal with a rock on your front yard and it would stretch the metal. Some things are just better at the job than others. I say go for it try out something new you could figure oout something really great.

Brandon McCarthy