PDA

View Full Version : The Bugatti Build - a letter (email) to Jay Leno

HotRodKid
01-15-2006, 10:57 PM
its been mentioned a few times that Mr Leno might be interested in the Bug Build, and earlier today i found myself on the NBC webite, so i decided to see if it was posible to contact him. The best i found was an email address to contact those involved with the tonight show

i decided to sit down and do my best to type up a professional sounding email, inviting him to come take a look, but at the same time i admitt that im not the best at being professional

maybe someone here can improve on this before its sent ?

Of personal interest to Mr Leno, a scratch built Bugatti T41 Sport Carrera

oOer the last 8 months, there has been an on going topic on metelmeet.com where a large number of the site members are contributing ideas , knowledge, and even their CAD drafting skills in order to build a copy of the Pur Sang T41

The original design was done by Pur Sang Argentina, and while they supposedly have plans to build it in the future, they have not yet done so. It would appear that have already have all of their efforts directed at producing recreations of other more well know Bugattis

the concept art can be seen in the following 3 links
http://www.bugattipage.com/newspics/t41sport.jpg
http://www.bugattipage.com/newspics/t41spor2.jpg
http://www.bugattipage.com/newspics/t41spor3.jpg

The concept is quite simple.

1)The car should be faithful to the Pur Sang design
2) It should be faithful to the style of similar Bugattis
3) the finished product should be suitable for use on long drives

After the design stage is finished, Metalmeet.com members from across North America, and possibly from around the WORLD will be taking on the task of building individual parts or assemblies, and them shipping them over for assembly

Since each member has different skills and tools, each member that decides to become involved with building parts will bring something different to the design. Obviously someone with a frame bench is best suited for constructing the frame. Someone with a CNC machine would probably take on the task of machining a set of gas caps, etc.

I would like to invite you, Mr Leno, to come have a look at out project so far, and offer any insights or advise to the project to help us acheive our goal.
http://www.metalmeet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2851

Pedalcar
01-16-2006, 04:48 AM
Hi Nick,

i think it's a good move.

Hope we get some reply.

Ben

Avalonjr
01-16-2006, 07:22 AM
My reaction to the letter is that you need to grab Leno's interest right off the bat. His interest is in rare cars and motorcycles. I doubt that he really cares about the build, as it is. Put it in his wheelhouse. Mention possible TV connections.... Why would he want to investigate this? How is this interesting to him and to his audience?

Get him interested in in the car first, then tell him how it came to be. Can you post the picture in the email before the first paragraph?

Professionals are usually very busy. If you don't grab their interest in the first paragraph, they probably wont read any further. Also, if you include the link, don't expect it to be used... include the picture with the link.

Doug98105
01-16-2006, 07:56 AM
Uh.........it seems to me this letter is a little premature, after all, up to this point nothing has really been done. Other than trying to copy an existing design and transform it into a CAD format, that is. (it just occured to me, does the group even have permission to use the Pur Sang design?)

What's the purpose of the letter? If I received it I'd interpret as a request for money. Can you imagine how many requests for money someone like Leno gets everyday?

If Leno did take notice and respond what do you want/expect from him? And how would that response contribute to the Bug building effort?

Doug

Peter Miles
01-16-2006, 08:20 AM
I would have to agree with Doug that contacting Jay Leno would not only be premature but inappropriate.

I'm of the opinion that this action would be rather contrary to the expressed and implied goals of the MetalMeet organization.

I do think that when we're a little further along with the design activities that there is something to be said for possibly trying to find sponsors to offset some of the costs of the project.

Trying to find a purchaser for a completed vehicle before there is a completed design or even project budget, schedule, size and performance goals would seem to be getting way ahead of ourselves.

This would be akin to finding a real Sultan as the future purchaser of this car and then having to deal with pressures, suggestions and requests from this potential purchaser.

This does bring up an interesting point, however. Assuming that MetalMeet is successful at completing this project as a functional, street-legal vehicle, what is to be done with the completed product?

Boogiemanz1
01-16-2006, 08:48 AM
Peter, I believe the goal was to use it to get some magazine attention for MetalMeet, then auction it off at Barrett Jackson . Some seed money for the next project would be deducted and the rest donated to charity or given as scholorships...........john

BTW, I also believe the letter is premature, and it would be best to run any such correspondence by the Board of Directors first...........john

Wray Schelin
01-16-2006, 09:51 AM
Peter, I believe the goal was to use it to get some magazine attention for MetalMeet, then auction it off at Barrett Jackson . Some seed money for the next project would be deducted and the rest donated to charity or given as scholorships...........john

BTW, I also believe the letter is premature, and it would be best to run any such correspondence by the Board of Directors first...........john

I would only add to John's comments that the Bugatti Build is a non profit educational exercise. Whether or not it becomes a real car depends on whether Alex provides us with the files he has created. Without the files nothing will be possible. Also there is still a lot of design work yet to be done. Mike Campbell has the ability to finish the design work if Alex's latest design works both ergonomically and proportionally. I believe it's real close but still might need some minor tweaking.

MetalMeet currently has the funds to pay for the materials to make a body shell, inner structure, and fenders. Beyond that to make a turn key complete car will require donations or a deep pocket investor willing to purchase the body from MetalMeet. If we sell the body we will have the funds to build another project and purchase equipment for the groups use at MetalMeet.

If we are able to complete the design and body building phase of the Bugatti Build, MetalMeet will receive a ton of publicity, that will help grow the craft and increase everyone's level of understanding.

The e-mail to Jay Leno will do no harm, and it probably has a one in ten million shot of ever being read by Jay Leno. A picture of Alex's last rendering, personally delivered to Jay would have more impact. Who wants to hang out in the Tonight show parking lot? ;) Jay is a high profile car collector, that doesn't mean he wants to own every cool car he sees. With publicity generated from the project we do have a very good chance of finding a car collector that will share our dream of building the car. We need to find that person.

anders nřrgaard
01-16-2006, 01:53 PM
I think there's atill ALOT of work that needs to be done before we go "real public" (out side site) with our project! So I also think we should wait a bit!

For example we might need permission to use the Bugatti name? Not that it's important to me, but we might get some legal problems if we just do it :o

WRAY,
THIS IS NOT MEANT TO BE A "project choker".... I just don't want us to get into trouble! http://www.metalmeet.com/forum/images/icons/icon10.gif

Ron G
01-16-2006, 03:50 PM
Jay is a high profile car collector, that doesn't mean he wants to own every cool car he sees.

Wray
I think Jay DOES own every cool car he sees. LOL

Ron

Eddie Paul
01-21-2006, 10:20 AM
I know Jay Leno and I would suggest you wait a bit, I will mention it to him and see his reaction, he is approachable by "car people" he is a real down top earth guy not a typical “Hollywood” person.
Eddie Paul

Boogiemanz1
01-22-2006, 01:37 AM
Thanks Eddie, We appreciate your doing that for us. Few of us are in the position you are to meet those folks.

This being the first of the year, it seems everyone is very busy. I hope Axle has some more time to help. His drawing skills are light years ahead of what i would ever be able to do, and i am in awe of his abilities. Hopefully this will kickstart the project again.

I suppose the porsche stuff is top secret until it's debut. Must seem wild shortening length and stretching height on a car, opposed to what most people want to do.

We like to hear of your exploits, ...keep us advised...............john

Tony Sanchez
01-22-2006, 10:03 PM
---Here are a couple of photos of a Buggati that was at the GNRS this weekend.

http://www.metalmeet.com/photopost/data/3926/medium/bugatti_01.jpg
http://www.metalmeet.com/photopost/data/3926/medium/Bugatti_02.jpg

Peter Miles
01-23-2006, 04:22 AM
Tony,

And the GNRS would be what??

anders nřrgaard
01-23-2006, 04:44 AM
Tony,

And the GNRS would be what??

Hi Peter,
GNRS = Grand National Roadster Show http://www.metalmeet.com/forum/images/icons/icon6.gif

Here's a link found in a google search:

http://www.streetrodderweb.com/events/0305SR_Grand/index.html

Tony Sanchez
01-23-2006, 10:37 AM
---Peter, Like Anders said it's the grand national roadster show, used to be the Oakland roadster show years ago. Now it is being held here in So Ca, it is really a fantastic show.
---Tony.

Eddie Paul
01-27-2006, 01:49 PM
I suppose the porsche stuff is top secret until it's debut. Must seem wild shortening length and stretching height on a car, opposed to what most people want to do.

We like to hear of your exploits, ...keep us advised...............john

Love to show you what we are doing but can't, yet.... Oppps!
Eddie Paul

FriarTuck
01-27-2006, 02:03 PM
I didn't see a thing Eddie, Thanks.

Tuck

Pedalcar
01-27-2006, 10:36 PM
Hi Eddie
I did'nt see it either but i know i like cartoon cars.

that's one of my goals when i get better in matalshaping to build cartoonish pedalcars.

thanks Eddie

Ben

Boogiemanz1
01-27-2006, 10:43 PM
I won't tell, ....I probably already forgot.............what?...........I wasn't there, I don't even know the B%$#&h.....................Uh, sorry officer I was in the bathroom at the time..............john

kustomizingkid
01-28-2006, 08:49 AM
So what are you doing for glass in the porsche I never saw.....

Brandon McCarthy

Eddie Paul
01-30-2006, 04:02 PM
I can not tell you what I am using or you would use Polycarbonate as well, but If I were going to tell you how I was going to do it I would say that I am first using a Romer digital arm to scan the new window frame and stick that info into the computer to model the new windows adding extra curve for added strength and then put the new digital info in to a 3D router to carve the plugs out of wood to be used as a plug in the vacuum forming machine that we may or may not have. This would then be formed out of Polycarb or even Plexiglas to be inserted in the car when we need them, we always make a copy of the windows, just incase. I may slip and send photos of the process if you would like. We are just starting on the next car that will be a NASCAR
Eddie Paul

FriarTuck
01-30-2006, 07:42 PM
I'm glad you didn't spill the beans. I'm sure you wouldn't want anyone to know how you were going to do that. Thanks for being so secretive.:wink:

Tuck

Boogiemanz1
01-30-2006, 08:54 PM
I would be interestd in any equipment that you may or may not have..........john

Eddie Paul
02-03-2006, 09:31 AM
Well, we make a few tools for Eastwood tools such as the English wheel /Planishing hammer combo kit as well as the Pneumatic shrinker and stretcher, a few Ball hammers and what we call the “Monster Machine” that is just a large English wheel with a few mounts on it for other tools. I have all the body tools and designing more the build, we try to make the tools we use on the movie cars and get them on the market as soon as we can but my biggest tool is a series of videos and DVD’s that we produce for training people on Basic’s of body work and other subjects relating to cars or bikes.
We have all the welding cutting and bending equipment we need for building cars or anything else the studios through at us, but are always short on skilled workers which is why a few of us are at the shop sometimes all night, seven days a week.
Many of the tools we make are on my web site at www.epindustries.com I am just now working on a new style of tucking forks that are adjustable and I will post a picture as soon as they are done, along with drawings and dimensions for those that want to make them.
Eddie Paul

Gonejunking
02-03-2006, 10:15 AM
Eddie
I like what I didn't see, but you got me worried when you talk of using plexiglass for window's!! Don't even think of it!!!!

Polycarbonate has replaced plexiglass in most application's because of safety. I spent years working with plex and poly for the aircraft industries, and plex has been outlawed for years, because it is just like nontempered glass when it breaks! SHARD'S EVERYWHERE. I once dropped a 3' x 6' x .250 sheet of plex G, took hours to clean up.

If you didn't break the window's when you took them out of the car, they can be your mold's for making window's out of poly. Reinforce the outside of the window, then mold the poly on the inside.

Good luck.

Eddie Paul
02-05-2006, 01:17 PM
Correct, on the Plexi but this car is just a prop for display the only time it will be driven is into the show from the truck, but if it is to be driven, we will add a flat Polycab inner windshield for safety, the problem with forming Poly is that you have to heat it for a few days before you form it, or it will bubble from the moisture in the plastic and I do not yet have and oven, my next project will be the building of one large enough to dry a few sheets at a time. Then I will make all the windshields out of Poly but until then the driver’s better wear safety glasses and a shark suit.
Eddie Paul

HotRodKid
02-05-2006, 02:21 PM
what year porsche is it exactly ? i know the character in the movie is a 2002, but you refered to the car your building as "new" .... did they buy a 2005/6 for you to cut up, or is it used ?

Boogiemanz1
02-05-2006, 10:51 PM
Hey Eddie, was one of your sharks in a commercial during the Superbowl today? I saw a couple of guys carrying a shark, just for a second...............john

Gonejunking
02-06-2006, 06:58 AM
Eddie

At what temp are you forming your poly? I form at 240-250F, matl in the oven for about 20 minutes, then onto the mold. I also use circuit board mat'l, (copper backed fiberglass) against the poly to help retain the heat, and slow the set. You get a little springback, but not bad.

The only time I got air bubble's was when I got the mat'l too hot, for the thickness!! The thinner it is, the easier it is to bubble. Most of my windshield's were made out of .250 poly.

Just my 2c

Eddie Paul
02-06-2006, 03:48 PM
what year porsche is it exactly ? i know the character in the movie is a 2002, but you refered to the car your building as "new" .... did they buy a 2005/6 for you to cut up, or is it used ?
This Porsche is a 1999 they got it out of some museum for this project we had to upgrade it to a 2002 then cut it up!
Ed

1969robinhood
02-06-2006, 04:22 PM
Eddie,
or anyone forming poly...a little trick I used some years back to form poly...

I had a table made of MDF...slots milled down through it alternately and each of these slots had a metal coil..not saying that they were dryer coils...but...

anyways each one of these coils was stretched out the length of the table...using a variable voltage controller...I believe it was a train transformer...you could control the heat to soften the poly for forming...I also had an adjustable fence on the table to aid in forming 90 degree bends...

just a hint from the really cheap seats...worked good for what I was doing at the time...may not be practical for your application though.
http://www.metalmeet.com/forum/images/icons/icon14.gifhttp://www.metalmeet.com/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif
http://www.metalmeet.com/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif

Eddie Paul
02-07-2006, 06:14 AM
Eddie

At what temp are you forming your poly? I form at 240-250F, matl in the oven for about 20 minutes, then onto the mold. I also use circuit board mat'l, (copper backed fiberglass) against the poly to help retain the heat, and slow the set. You get a little springback, but not bad.

The only time I got air bubble's was when I got the mat'l too hot, for the thickness!! The thinner it is, the easier it is to bubble. Most of my windshield's were made out of .250 poly.

Just my 2c
Good point, I will try lowering my temperature a bit and give it another shot at the Poly it could jet be too hot. We are working with .250 as well but still getting the bubbles my table is a 48” x 93” table, I will let you know what gives, the manufacture told me to bake the sheet for two days firs that is why I was going to build the oven but if this works it will be much simpler.

Eddie Paul
02-07-2006, 06:15 AM
Hey Eddie, was one of your sharks in a commercial during the Superbowl today? I saw a couple of guys carrying a shark, just for a second...............john
It could well be mine, not a lot of people building sharks, but I did not see the Superbowl I was working.
Eddie Paul

Gonejunking
02-07-2006, 07:26 AM
Eddie
If you bake your poly at 225f for 24 hours, you shouldn't have any more problems with bubbles.
If you set up your oven to bake for 24h, then raise the temp to 250f for an hour before you mold your windows, you should be in good shape.
Remember that the poly temp for molding varies with humidity. So you may have to test it, to get it just right.
Good luck

Eddie Paul
02-08-2006, 05:32 PM
Eddie
If you bake your poly at 225f for 24 hours, you shouldn't have any more problems with bubbles.
If you set up your oven to bake for 24h, then raise the temp to 250f for an hour before you mold your windows, you should be in good shape.
Remember that the poly temp for molding varies with humidity. So you may have to test it, to get it just right.
Good luck

But now I gotta make an oven for 48" x 96" sheets, that is one big oven, but you have to do what you have to do.
Thanks,
Ed

Peter Miles
02-08-2006, 06:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonejunking
Eddie
Good luck

But now I gotta make an oven for 48" x 96" sheets, that is one big oven, but you have to do what you have to do.
Thanks,
Ed

How hot is a powder-coating oven?

Here's a 22'x7'x7' Trent powdercoating oven plus spray booth on Craigslist in Oregon: http://portland.craigslist.org/tls/131435969.html

anders nřrgaard
02-08-2006, 09:09 PM
How hot is a powder-coating oven?

Here's a 22'x7'x7' Trent powdercoating oven plus spray booth on Craigslist in Oregon: http://portland.craigslist.org/tls/131435969.html

Hi Peter,
Just did a Google. Looks like powder coating temps are around 400F:

http://www.bostonbiker.com/powder_coating_process.htm (http://www.bostonbiker.com/powder_coating_process.htm)

http://forum.caswellplating.com/showthread.php?t=3458 (http://forum.caswellplating.com/showthread.php?t=3458)

This 2nd link is quite interesting. It's another vBulletin board and it's about plating too http://www.metalmeet.com/forum/images/icons/icon6.gif

edwardd_
02-09-2006, 06:09 AM
Peter,

I'd call the lister and ask what the temp range is on the controls for the oven.

Could be a good deal.

gator 1
02-09-2006, 06:33 AM
Most powder coatings cure at 400 to 425. Most ovens go to 500. Some new ones i heard are going to 600 with the rummors of a new type of powder needing higher bake times. Gator

Peter Miles
02-09-2006, 11:36 PM
I don't need an oven myself. I was merely suggesting one as a possibility for Eddie Paul in which to do large poly items.

Eddie Paul
03-10-2006, 07:44 AM
More shots you did not see from me... of the PIXAR/now Disney cars. we are building the NASCAR from ABS the Porsche was all steel and shortened 7 inches the roof lifted 3 inches
Eddie Paul

Gonejunking
03-10-2006, 08:00 AM
Eddie
Those are great pictures that I didn't see you post!

FriarTuck
03-10-2006, 08:16 AM
Hey Eddie, you don't know how relieved I am that I haven't seen how strange a porche looks shortened up like it could be, if someone had the notion to do it. I appreciate not being privy to such a thing.

Tuck

Boogiemanz1
03-10-2006, 08:52 AM
Who was that masked man?.......................john

Eddie Paul
03-11-2006, 08:07 AM
You have no idea how great it was not being here the other day and not sharing the photos... with you all. more may sneak out soon. if you want them.

Boogiemanz1
03-11-2006, 08:22 AM
We do love pictures! no matter how they get here.......:lol: ..........john

gator 1
03-11-2006, 08:35 AM
Got your book the other day and was very impressed. A lot of good info. Im really intrested in the vacum forming you were doing and i am going to look further into it. I do some car upholstery work and can think of a lot of times that would come in handy. Thanks for the insite....Gator

Eddie Paul
03-12-2006, 08:54 AM
Thanks, we use the vacuum former every day it would be a great help for your business and a real asset, I just got a contract to do another book (five more to be exact) but one on “forming plastics” that will include plug making (from wood) and vacuum forming, but it will be about a year before you see it.
I will try to post more on vacuum forming here if that would help.
Eddie Paul

Pedalcar
03-12-2006, 12:29 PM
Hi Eddie,

yes lets hear all about vacuum forming.

About two years ago i went to a place in the US that did vacuum form aluminum

panels for a sports car ,i can't remember the name of it .

thanks

Ben

Eddie Paul
03-20-2006, 02:56 PM
Here is the Porsche as of yesterday, but again, this has not been seen...

jlrussell4
03-20-2006, 04:01 PM
WOW! That would be really cute if I could see it :p .

dauer
03-20-2006, 07:04 PM
Very cool nonexistant cartoon car!!

Dave

Boogiemanz1
03-20-2006, 09:23 PM
That will work, I laughed out loud! I spent some time in Germany. Some of the Porsche Guys over there are fanatics about their car........it sure would be a blast to swap that one out for one of their pristine rides then hide and watch their face when they opened the door to it's smile..........of course thats only if it existed.......must be my imagination....what was in that glass..........am I awake.........................john

Eddie Paul
03-21-2006, 06:52 AM
Glad you guys like it, I will (not) send the rest of the photos of the cars we are building as soon as we don't build them.
But I have to admit that I am sick of hearing our 3-D router run 24 hours a day but can imagine doing this car without it. the parts were all designed in Rhino and then converted in RynoCam, put in Mac 2 for the CNC router to cut wood plugs which were then used on a 4 foot by 8 foot vacuum forming table and glued together with SEM Quick set. This is for the second and third cars; the Porsche was made out of steel. With a fiberglass bumper.

1969robinhood
03-21-2006, 04:06 PM
Eddie...you do some great work....with all of these projects going on you must get about three or four hours of sleep....if your lucky!

we do love those fantasy pics...your not sending out...did you guys do the wrecker for the movie also?:-D

Eddie Paul
03-22-2006, 06:20 PM
Yea, we are not doing that one as well as the NASCAR and I may just slip and send photos of them as well. The wrecker is now 25 inches shorter and 10 inches narrower than it was... if it were here.... which it ain't...

gator 1
03-22-2006, 06:26 PM
I got caught in the middle of one of the tunnels in new york due to a fender bender and they have a wrecker thats just big enough to fit the motor,trans,rear and cradle. Could turn around in the middle of the tunnel with no problem,Or did i not see that either....Im so confussed...Gator :)

Eddie Paul
03-22-2006, 06:26 PM
Oppps agan...

1969robinhood
03-23-2006, 02:53 PM
I can't believe what my eyes are seeing....thanks for nothin' Eddie...;) ;)

PS....my three year old...has seen the commercial trailer and is fit to be tied over the wrecker....guess the old lawn mower I was making into Thomas the train may have to be a wrecker....

I am not watching for any ideas though...:lol: :lol: :lol:

Eddie Paul
03-25-2006, 08:11 PM
Oppppppppps again...

underdog57
03-26-2006, 06:46 AM
Hey Eddie ,
What is said at MM stays at MM ...:smile:
The photo's are great , please keep em coming !!!
Thanks
Bob

Pedalcar
03-26-2006, 07:44 AM
http://www.apple.com/trailers/disney/cars/hd/

this is the link my daughter found to the new Disney movie Cars which shows the car which we didnt see on Eddie's pics :mrgreen:

Ben

J
03-26-2006, 08:47 AM
I'd say it looked more like a Mustang on the lift than an Oppppppppps.... Next time move in closer when you take the pic. After all there isn't anything in the way .

anders nřrgaard
03-26-2006, 09:53 AM
I'd say it looked more like a Mustang on the lift than an Oppppppppps.... Next time move in closer when you take the pic. After all there isn't anything in the way .

Hi John.... Gene O's younger brother http://www.metalmeet.com/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif
I think you're right! I did some spyi... uhm... err.... Bugly ServiceS Research http://www.metalmeet.com/forum/images/icons/icon6.gif http://www.metalmeet.com/forum/images/icons/icon6.gif http://www.metalmeet.com/forum/images/icons/icon6.gif
Looks like a 1969 or '70 Shelby GT??? http://www.metalmeet.com/forum/images/icons/icon10.gif

http://www.metalmeet.com/photopost/data/500/Shelby_Cobra.jpg

Tisdelski
03-26-2006, 11:54 AM
hi anders,

you are real close on the mustang, it started life as a 71 or 72 mustang.
shelby stopped selling cars in 70.

gary

anders nřrgaard
03-26-2006, 12:36 PM
hi anders,

you are real close on the mustang, it started life as a 71 or 72 mustang.
shelby stopped selling cars in 70.

gary

Hi Gary,
Thanks for pulling me back on line http://www.metalmeet.com/forum/images/icons/icon10.gif http://www.metalmeet.com/forum/images/icons/icon10.gif

I'm sure you're right! Coming to think of it and after taking a closer look, I seem to remember that the '69 and '70 had some cast aluminium "corners" on the front fenders http://www.metalmeet.com/forum/images/icons/icon12.gif (mine had)

Could have been one like this '71 351 Boss

http://www.metalmeet.com/photopost/data/500/medium/1971_Mustang_351_Boss.jpg

Found it here: (LOTS OF STANGS)

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/photopost/showgallery.php/cat/3234

Eddie Paul
03-26-2006, 04:25 PM
Could it be a 1972 Mustang Sprint with electric windows? (I am told, the only one built) that has been cut up and changed into "Frankenstang", a project car of mine (which is what it is cover in months of dust). but soon... very soon... after I finish a few more books, a few more movie projects and when I get caught up on getting the shop in order, then the Mustang.

edwardd_
03-26-2006, 06:08 PM
Well,

You are gonna out do yourself with this one.

Will it shoot flames or bolts of electricity?

:grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

Eddie Paul
03-26-2006, 07:08 PM
No, nothing too wild, I am getting older now.

Eddie Paul
03-26-2006, 07:12 PM
60 feet long and powered by a 350 chevy mounted backwards with the rear end flipped upside down so it would pull the monster, built in just two weeks for "Ice Pirates" those were the days...

Boogiemanz1
03-26-2006, 09:58 PM
That thing looks a little apocyliptic (if that is even a word)...maybe it is the fender flares and the tube bumpers.....kinda Mad Max thing going on there.......hope to see pictures when it happens................john

gator 1
03-27-2006, 08:08 AM
If you want to see more of the stang then get Eddies book. It covers the build of the stang. how they did the fenders and the tube bumpers. It also covers a lot of other stuff Eddie worked on that he has not shown here. I meen really not shown and not you did not see this shown. Im not into promoting things unless i think its that good. Eddies book should be on everyones table, garage, bathroom and nightstand. He really has a way of looking at things from outside the box and thats what were all about.

Now for those that refuse to buy books because someone else could not teach me anything then let me make a correction....You need to buy Eddies new TOOL that just happens to look like a book...Great work Eddie...Gator

Eddie Paul
03-27-2006, 08:36 AM
Thanks Gator, that was nice, I try to do the best I can on the books and they are fun to write, BTW I will be looking for ideas for my new book on metal fab, if anyone wants to contribute ideas, I will of course give a plug for MM in the new book as I am very impressed with all of you and the projects you do here. So....what happens in MM may not stay in MM long.
Eddie Paul

Boogiemanz1
03-27-2006, 10:10 PM
Eddie, you just need to take a couple of days off and show up at one of the Meets. You will see 20-30 people that have never met in person getting together for a good time beating on metal......always projects or at least questions about projects....

Come on down to Staunton Ill this weekend ...they will treat you so many different ways that you are bound to like one of them...............john

Eddie Paul
03-29-2006, 08:21 AM
I wish I could, but I am booked almost seven days a week and writing when I have a few hours off, I will be going to Virginia about July for the Star City Motor Madness, have you guys ever though of a meet there? I can put you in touch with the guy putting the show on if you would like. It would be a hit there, and there are a lot of cars showing up and many would like to see the way metal is shaped, you guys would be the hit of the show.

underdog57
03-29-2006, 11:43 AM
http://www.starcitymotormadness.com/Took a look at this site , very interesting . Its held July 3rd and 4rth ...

Bob

Boogiemanz1
03-29-2006, 12:01 PM
Do we have anyone close?....john

Gene_Olson
03-29-2006, 12:45 PM
Looks like it's tied in with
http://www.vmt.org/graphics/info.gif
Link (http://www.vmt.org/info.htm)

lots of steam powered locomotives and stuff too.

Mike Linn from sent this link to a radio controlled steam engine.
http://www.crabfu.com/steamtoys/rc_steamipede/steam_centipede_icon.jpg Link (http://www.crabfu.com/steamtoys/rc_steamipede/)

Check out the videos.

underdog57
03-29-2006, 03:20 PM
Yes, its tied in with a lot of clubs !!
Has to be one heck of an event ...
Gene , that train is something else !! Be it would go great on a board , thats quite a test running it on concrete ...Looks alive with all the legs:grin:
Bob

Eddie Paul
03-30-2006, 07:46 AM
If you want to set up an event a the show, let me know and I will put you in touch with the guy setting it all up he has a lot of cars himself, even some of the ones I have built for movies. nice guy. I also think you can pull in lot of new members from the show.

gator 1
03-30-2006, 08:13 AM
Do you know the exact dates for the show. Maybe we can get something together..Gator

Eddie Paul
03-30-2006, 04:59 PM
The cruise night is July 3rd and the show is the 4th. I will be there signing books and anyting else that is brought my way.

Eddie Paul
03-30-2006, 05:04 PM
Gator, send my a private email or call my shop at 310-643-8515 and I can put you in touch with the proper people to set up a meet.
eddiepaul@epindustries.com

metalchomper
03-30-2006, 05:43 PM
I'm game!

Didn't realize your post had to be at least 10 characters long or you get an error.

Eddie Paul
04-11-2006, 11:47 AM
just finished.

Gonejunking
04-11-2006, 01:21 PM
Eddie
Your looking at the wrong camera. It looks like the car is looking up at the boom camera.

Nice of you to not post an other picture!

rusttorod
05-05-2006, 09:15 PM
I just ran across this thread. Eddie, I bought your book about 3 months ago, and it has really helped me with learning to do bodywork on my 34 Plymouth. I like browsing the metalshaping books at the store, but had to buy yours when I saw the vacuum forming section. That's very interesting, and I can't wait to get your book devoted to the topic. I'd love to build one in my shop to help with forming some complex shapes for my interior, which will be inspired by some of my favorite concept cars and hot rods.
Can I submit a topic request for your new books? I found this thread while surfing for info on filling the huge roof opening on my 4 door sedan. There's not much info available on how to fill a roof properly. I'm worried about warping since I want a smooth filler sheet instead of ribbed like from a van or station wagon donor. If I warp this thing, I bet it would take 500 hours to hammer it back in shape. So, like when I chopped the top, stretched the hood, and reshaped the door jams, I'm spending 480 hours learning all I can about what I'm trying to do.
Thanks for sharing your knowledge!
-Shane

jlrussell4
05-06-2006, 08:16 AM
Hi Shane,

There's not much info available on how to fill a roof properly. I'm worried about warping since I want a smooth filler sheet instead of ribbed like from a van or station wagon donor. If I warp this thing, I bet it would take 500 hours to hammer it back in shape.

Do a search on this site. Help has been given (with pictures) on filling a roof with rib free panels. Be sure to check Randy Ferguson's thread on repairing the roof on a Willys. Have questions? Ask away - help is always available here.

P.S. pictures are very helpful when asking questions.

Eddie Paul
05-10-2006, 06:26 AM
Can I submit a topic request for your new books? I found this thread while surfing for info on filling the huge roof opening on my 4 door sedan. There's not much info available on how to fill a roof properly. I'm worried about warping since I want a smooth filler sheet instead of ribbed like from a van or station wagon donor. -Shane

I am working on a new book (seven of them in fact) and this topic (metal finishing) is going to be covered but will not be out for a little while.
But as Jim states, this forum (metal meet) will cover the subject in depth. I spend hours just looking around at all the projects on this site, there is a huge amount of extremely skilled talent here.
BTW glade you like the book, I have a new one coming out within a month or so with Krause Publishing, it is on the building of the Ultimate Chopper (V-8 powered Boss Hoss choppers), at the shop we are just finishing the Promo cars for Pixar/Disneys CARS and getting a lot of photos of how we build them, mostly out of ABS on the vacuum forming machine and I can now write a whole book on building plastic cars.
From start to finish, the cars have taken about five weeks to build each one. Then next week I am building some stuff for another movie that requires a lot of vacuum forming of plastic. Real Big stuff!!! I will shoot lots of photos and take lots of notes for the books.

Eddie Paul
05-10-2006, 07:15 AM
BTW Here is a photo of Lightning part way thorough the Plastic build

ralph
05-10-2006, 01:46 PM
Hey Eddie,
I was watching a history channel segment on the history of cycles one of my kids ripped from the web. What do you know about some guy who holds a record for riding a cycle from LA to Vegas without using his hands to steer! :lol: :lol:

Nice little segment about your cycle builds too. :cool:

Eddie Paul
05-10-2006, 06:19 PM
Sounds like a stupid thing to do, he has to be nuts.. or 19 years old. Uh wait... I was.

KustomsRus
05-11-2006, 06:17 AM
Enjoy your Posts and keeping us up to date on your creations. I just saw the "smiling car" you created for "Cars" on a special promotion of Valvoline Oil at Advance Auto Parts yesterday.
I used to slip in to George Barris' shop when I lived in N. Hollywood when he was building some movie cars.
Thanks for your input------

Eddie Paul
05-16-2006, 08:25 AM
Here is the last of a set of cars that we are building for Pixar Disney and I have to say it was a tough job, getting the details just perfect for them. But it is time to start something new, and get back to normal 18 hour days this is not finished as of yet but will be within a few days. I will post finished photos as I take them.

Pedalcar
05-16-2006, 01:10 PM
Hi Eddie ,

i love these cartoonisch cars ,great job , do you hire:oops::)

Ben

Tin Head
05-16-2006, 02:20 PM
Eddie,

That cracks me up. I wonder what peoples reaction would be if they seen that truck driving down the street. I'd have to look it over pretty good if I seen it on my street.:lol::lol:

Great work
Bob

1969robinhood
05-16-2006, 02:45 PM
Great work Eddie..!!!

That truck is my favorite( and my son's)...Add Larry the Cable guys voice to it and this is the makings of a great movie!!

Is the wrecker bed real or did yuo just build it up??

thanks again for sharing..:-D :-D :-D

Hairy-Neil
05-16-2006, 02:49 PM
I love these cartoonisch cars

Here's one I built this time last year. Its the promotional vehicle for the Wallace & Gromit animated film, Curse of the Were Rabbit
http://www.sleafordtoday.co.uk/getedimage.aspx?ImageID=275861
http://www.sleafordtoday.co.uk/ViewArticle2.aspx?SectionID=1440&ArticleID=1268257

Eddie Paul
05-16-2006, 05:14 PM
Great work Eddie..!!!

That truck is my favorite( and my son's)...Add Larry the Cable guys voice to it and this is the makings of a great movie!!

Is the wrecker bed real or did yuo just build it up??

thanks again for sharing..:-D :-D :-D

We built is all, the bed is steel and the body is plastic.

Eddie Paul
05-16-2006, 05:16 PM
Here's one I built this time last year. Its the promotional vehicle for the Wallace & Gromit animated film, Curse of the Were Rabbit
http://www.sleafordtoday.co.uk/getedimage.aspx?ImageID=275861
http://www.sleafordtoday.co.uk/ViewArticle2.aspx?SectionID=1440&ArticleID=1268257

what did you make it from? wood. plastic or metal?

Eddie Paul
05-16-2006, 05:17 PM
Hi Eddie ,

i love these cartoonisch cars ,great job , do you hire:oops::)

Ben

sometimes we hire....

Boogiemanz1
05-16-2006, 10:44 PM
Ben, it would be a great job, but the commute would kill you!!!!:lol: :lol: :lol: ......................

Eddie, if you didn't notice, Ben is from the Netherlands.......super metalshaper...............john

Eddie Paul
05-17-2006, 06:39 AM
:idea: Ben, it would be a great job, but the commute would kill you!!!!:lol: :lol: :lol: ......................

Eddie, if you didn't notice, Ben is from the Netherlands.......super metalshaper...............john

He could work a day and commute for six days... it could still work out...

sollis30
05-17-2006, 06:55 AM
i dont know about that Jay Leno guy ,what he was thinking when he order that bike from OCC

Pedalcar
05-17-2006, 07:59 AM
please explain commute to me:?:?:?

Ben

admin
05-17-2006, 08:01 AM
commute.... basically the trip to eddie shop to work everday....and back home...

Hairy-Neil
05-17-2006, 11:38 AM
what did you make it from? wood. plastic or metal?
Aardman's modelers made the scaled down vans used in the animated film. We built a full size replica of the model with Aardman's assistance complete with all the dents, welded patches, paint defects etc. An airbrush artist then added the rust, road grime, bird sh!t etc before it was all sealed under coats of semi gloss lacquer. We used an existing full size vehicle, 42 years old, neglected and unroadworthy.

BTW, Our full size version doesn't have the self starter, lassoo or the Bunvac 6000. ;) You have to have seen the film......

http://wallaceandgromit.flying-a.net/wg_%204.JPG

Hairy-Neil
05-17-2006, 11:41 AM
http://wallaceandgromit.flying-a.net/wg_%201.jpg

Gonejunking
05-17-2006, 11:45 AM
Painted on "RUST":lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Now that's a new one on me!!:twisted: :twisted:

Hairy-Neil
05-17-2006, 11:49 AM
This was the starting point. It looks better than it actually was, the passenger door was tied on with string! Needed extensive welding for MOT test. It had to be made roadworthy as it covered 3000 miles on its tour promoting the film.

http://wallaceandgromit.flying-a.net/wg_%206.JPG

Hairy-Neil
05-17-2006, 11:54 AM
Painted on "RUST":lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Now that's a new one on me!!:twisted: :twisted:

The rust has relief to it as well. We used a variety of techniques to achieve this including spray seam sealer, high build primer carved off with a scraper where we didn't need it as well as good old Bondo.....It all had to be fake as UK roadworthyness laws don't allow jagged edges or gaping holes, even on non structural panels.

Hairy-Neil
05-17-2006, 12:03 PM
The lettering is not vinyl, it needed to be able to be distressed and dirtied up. The film was set in 1953, long before the invention of self adhesive vinyl stickers (though the van used is actually a 64 model). Also to prevent the risk of vandalism, it was also best that it could all be lacquered over.

It was applied by spraying through low tack stencils, the logos on the doors had four different colours applied, black, white, red and silver.......took hours to apply..... :roll:

Eddie Paul
05-19-2006, 08:54 AM
...well it will be good to see him go, now that we are finished with the Pixar /Disney project we can clean up the shop fo the next project.

Archie
05-19-2006, 11:02 AM
Hey my son knows that truck. Is his name Maider?

Archie

Pedalcar
05-19-2006, 02:09 PM
Hi Eddie,

i mite have missed this but i ask it anyway , where will the cars be going to,

Disney park or movie promotion??

Thanks

Ben

Eddie Paul
05-19-2006, 09:34 PM
Hi Eddie,

i mite have missed this but i ask it anyway , where will the cars be going to,

Disney park or movie promotion??

Thanks

Ben

Movie promotion... all over the US, I think the route is on the Pixar Disney, CARS web site.
Found it-
CARS Road Trip '06" travel cities will include:
April 17 Akron, OH
April 18 Washington DC
April 19 Baltimore, MD
April 20 Philadelphia, PA
April 21 Allentown, PA
April 22 Hartford, CT
April 23 Boston, MA
April 24 Toronto, CN
April 26 Detroit, MI
April 27 Chicago, IL
April 28-29 Minneapolis, MN
May 1 Denver, CO
May 2 Salt Lake City, UT
May 4 DuPont, WA
May 5 Seattle, WA
May 6 Portland, OR
May 7 San Francisco, CA
May 8 Bakersfield, CA
May 10-12 Los Angeles, CA
May 15 Houston, TX
May 17-18 Atlanta, GA
May 20-21 Orlando, FL
May 22-23 Jacksonville, FL
May 24-28 Charlotte, NC -- World Premiere/NASCAR Coca Cola 600
May 30 Charlottesville, VA
May 31 Parsippany, NJ
June 1-6 New York, NY
June 11-18 Los Angeles, CA
June 19 Phoenix, AZ
June 21 San Antonio, TX
June 22 Dallas, TX
June 23-24 Tulsa, OK
June 26 St. Louis, MO
June 27 Erlanger, KY
June 28 Cincinnati, OH
June 29 Lexington, KY
June 30 Columbus, OH
July 5 Battle Creek, MI
July 6 Oakbrook, IL

Hairy-Neil
05-20-2006, 05:10 PM
Anti-Pesto van is soon to appear on UK Kids TV program Blue Peter. ;)

Eddie Paul
05-24-2006, 06:38 AM
I am about to start my new book on metal fabracation and looking for a few new ideas and subjects that I can stick in the book. If anyone out there has ideas that are new old or different, let me know.
Thanks,
Eddie Paul

rusttorod
05-24-2006, 07:23 AM
Eddie,
I was just at the bookstore yesterday browsing through the sheetmetal fab books. Speaking as a consumer looking to buy books on this subject, I actually have tons of ideas on what I would like to learn more about. The current books on the shelf all seem to repeat the same type of information, or are old and outdated. One of the few books I found was published in 1994. It would probably be a good idea to start a new thread for suggestions for your book topics. I would like to contribute a lot of ideas, and I hope you'll find them useful when you start writing your book. If you have the time, I would love to talk to you one on one about it.
-Shane

Eddie Paul
05-24-2006, 09:33 AM
That would be great, you can email me at eddiepaul@epindustries.com or call my shop at 310-643-8515, but at times I get a bit busy, so hang in there, if I can not get to the phone and thanks for taking the time, I agree the books all cover the same old thing I want to come up with new stuff for this book, I will also list the metal meet forum as a source of idas and a cool forum for my readers to join.
Eddie Paul

Eddie Paul
05-24-2006, 09:23 PM
Eddie,
I was just at the bookstore yesterday browsing through the sheetmetal fab books. Speaking as a consumer looking to buy books on this subject, I actually have tons of ideas on what I would like to learn more about. The current books on the shelf all seem to repeat the same type of information, or are old and outdated. One of the few books I found was published in 1994. It would probably be a good idea to start a new thread for suggestions for your book topics. I would like to contribute a lot of ideas, and I hope you'll find them useful when you start writing your book. If you have the time, I would love to talk to you one on one about it.
-Shane

Got your email and will get back to you...
Just hammered right now.
Ed

Eddie Paul
06-07-2006, 07:57 PM
We are now producing a series of How To videos on metal work and looking for needed titles, if any of you have sugestions let me know. some that we are thinking about are: How To Fiberglass, shrinking and stretching, shaping metal, designingh and building a frame etc.
Thanks,
Eddie Paul

Eddie Paul
06-07-2006, 08:00 PM
If you want to see more of the stang then get Eddies book. It covers the build of the stang. how they did the fenders and the tube bumpers. It also covers a lot of other stuff Eddie worked on that he has not shown here. I meen really not shown and not you did not see this shown. Im not into promoting things unless i think its that good. Eddies book should be on everyones table, garage, bathroom and nightstand. He really has a way of looking at things from outside the box and thats what were all about.

Now for those that refuse to buy books because someone else could not teach me anything then let me make a correction....You need to buy Eddies new TOOL that just happens to look like a book...Great work Eddie...Gator

Did you get hold of Robert?

gator 1
06-07-2006, 08:39 PM
I talked to him and he said they were having triuble with the local gov or something. He would have to talk to his partner and the town then get back to us. Thanks for all your help...Gator

Eddie Paul
06-08-2006, 07:47 PM
I just spoke to him last night and he thinks he can pull it off, so don't give up hope yet, it would be great to see you there. hey... I may be on Monster garage this Monday, the last show (if I am not cut for being tooo ugly) if you get a chance it could be fun, seeing it all end.

rusttorod
06-08-2006, 07:50 PM
What do you mean by 'the last show'? Of the season, or the whole show? I hope it's not ending for good. What is your team building?
-Shane

Eddie Paul
06-09-2006, 07:44 AM
No, it is the last show, a two hour special, it was a best of the show special that they put together showing the best builder they ever had. Lots of interviews and reruns. It should be interesting.

rusttorod
06-09-2006, 12:14 PM
Crap, that's one of my favorite shows.
I think a video on welding would be good, if you can get real close up shots of the process. I taught myself how to weld by reading books, but a video would be 1000 times better. I think all the car and bike shows have sparked a lot of interest in tig welding. Show us all about it, starting from the beginning, all the details, how to move the filler rod, etc. Show us some common mistakes and how to improve the technique, for those who think they know what they're doing. Don't forget about how to properly stretch out the area that shrinks and smooth out the weld bead to perfection. Tell the editors to just let the camera roll. On tv they show a guy getting an arc, and then they skip to him pulling his mask off, all done! Stick that camera in the puddle and let us see what happens!
-Shane

Eddie Paul
06-10-2006, 02:26 PM
Crap, that's one of my favorite shows.
I think a video on welding would be good, if you can get real close up shots of the process. I taught myself how to weld by reading books, but a video would be 1000 times better. I think all the car and bike shows have sparked a lot of interest in tig welding. Show us all about it, starting from the beginning, all the details, how to move the filler rod, etc. Show us some common mistakes and how to improve the technique, for those who think they know what they're doing. Don't forget about how to properly stretch out the area that shrinks and smooth out the weld bead to perfection. Tell the editors to just let the camera roll. On tv they show a guy getting an arc, and then they skip to him pulling his mask off, all done! Stick that camera in the puddle and let us see what happens!
-Shane

this is good stuff, I am noting every comment and will include as much as I can.
Thanks,
Ed

gator 1
08-31-2006, 02:04 PM
Long time no hear, How are things going, I tore up my ankle prior to the july run and could not make it. Robert says he should have a spot next year. Remember that our annual meet is oct 17 thru 24. If you can get free for a day or two come on out and clear your head...Gator

Rasper
09-04-2006, 06:39 PM
What happened to the Bugatti?