PDA

View Full Version : UK/European Metalmeet 6th thru 11th April 2006

JonD
01-11-2006, 05:50 AM
I will be hosting a metalmeet at my old rambling workshop in Cleethorpes, NE Lincs between Thursday 6th and Tuesday 11th April 2006.

Come for a day, the weekend or all 6 days.

You should expect a warm welcome, plenty of tea and a friendly environment to make new friends, beat on metal and have fun.

I'm not an expert, but with the combined skills of the participants I'm sure everyone will learn something new and have a great time. ( I hope too !)

The following equipment is available for use: English wheels, benders, guillotine , rollers, beaders, pullmax ,shrinker, fly presses, lathe, mill, gas, mig and tig (ac/dc) welders along with various other hand tools. Most equipment is old and worn but functional !

I have a number of project to work on, but feel free to bring any small project of your own along be that car, motorcycle, arty or whatever. If the bugatti build is far enough alone perhaps we could have a go at building a panel for that.

Feel free to bring along your favourite tools and equipment. Remember to mark them with your name.

Once I know some numbers I'll pick up some sheets of steel & aluminium so we have some material to work with. I'll divide the cost between the participants but I am expecting it to be less than 20 each. Any spare cash can go towards food, drinks and other consumables etc.

The address of the workshop is 1a Suggitts Lane, Cleethorpes DN35 7??

There is a pub/hotel less than 100 yards from the workshop that offers cheap basic accommodation. I'll get some contact info & prices asap. Failing that there are numerous guest houses located near by.

Let me know if you plan on attending so I can get some idea on numbers

Thanks

Jon

Accommodation Update:
I have spoken to the receptionist at the Leaking Boot Hotel (close to my workshop). There prices are 22.50 per person B&B (20 without breakfast)

They have 14 rooms, some are ensuite some not (it's the same price).

The receptionists name is Jayne, she works mon - fri (9am - 1pm) and can be contacted on 01472 691530. If you mention metalmeet she might understand ?

I'll find out what price's guest houses charge, If anyone wants upmarket accomadation let me know and I'll recomend some.

BryanB
01-11-2006, 07:41 AM
Jon

Thanks for hosting this event. :-D I'll be coming up and will let you know dates etc. asap. If there is anything you need help with or organising I'd be glad to assist. Only problem is I'm down south in the New Forest!

I'll certainly bring some tools & equipment in case other people are travelling light.

Thanks again

Bryan

Hairy-Neil
01-11-2006, 01:23 PM
:) I'll be there come rain or shine :)

Too cold in april for the tent? I've roughed it at easter before now but I was a lot younger then. I reckon is just too far for me to commute on a daily basis. :(

I might just have to do a trial run and check it out one weekend soon. ;)

JonD
01-12-2006, 04:04 AM
Hi Bryan & Neil,

Great to know you're on board.

Neil, I'm trying to get down to the workshop for a full day ( a saturday) to work on my new ewheel sometime in the next few weeks. I'll Let you know when I'm there and you would be quite welcome to pop down.

Jon

Kerry Pinkerton
01-12-2006, 05:22 AM
I'd love to come but it's not in the cards this year. Spent a couple months in London a few years back but never got to get out of the city where real people live. Seen one concrete sidewalk, seen them them all ya know?

anders nrgaard
01-12-2006, 05:31 AM
Hey Kerry,

GET YOURSELF A NEW DECK OF CARDS!!!!! Would've been fun! :lol: :lol:

I'll do whatever possible to be there http://www.metalmeet.com/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif

JonD
01-13-2006, 02:05 AM
Anders, Hope you can make it.

Regards

Jon

JonD
01-13-2006, 02:06 AM
I have spoken to the receptionist at the Leaking Boot Hotel (close to my workshop). There prices are £22.50 per person B&B (£20 without breakfast)

They have 14 rooms, some are ensuite some not (it's the same price).

The receptionists name is Jayne, she works mon - fri (9am - 1pm) and can be contacted on 01472 691530. If you mention metalmeet she might understand ?

I'll find out what price's guest houses charge, If anyone wants upmarket accomadation let me know and I'll recomend some.

Jon

anders nrgaard
01-13-2006, 03:16 AM
Anders, Hope you can make it.

Regards

Jon
Jon,
SO DO I!!!!!!!!http://www.metalmeet.com/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif http://www.metalmeet.com/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif

JonD
01-23-2006, 01:12 AM
Hey Bryan, Just remembered has you new arrival turn up yet ?

Jon

BryanB
01-23-2006, 04:11 AM
Hey Bryan, Just remembered has you new arrival turn up yet ?

Jon

Jon

Thanks for the enquiry, No!! We are on tenter hooks here as "it" is due this Friday and our other two boys were both early!

Regards

Bryan

anders nrgaard
01-23-2006, 04:41 AM
Wow Bryan,

Congrats on the happy circumstances! http://www.metalmeet.com/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif

Keep the engine running so the mother won't have to get frozen when time comes http://www.metalmeet.com/forum/images/icons/icon10.gif

FriarTuck
01-23-2006, 08:26 AM
We are all sending good thoughts in anticipation of the happy event, keep us posted.

Anders, if you can get to EMM06, make sure to keep us posted so we can be there with you, if only in spirit.

Tuck

BryanB
01-23-2006, 12:21 PM
Anders & Rick
Thanks for your thoughts I will post when IT happens! Oh and Anders this is the UK it doesn't get real cold. Grey, yes; rainy, yes, more grey, more rain!!! thats our winter. :lol:
Hope to see you all in April.

Regards
Bryan

anders nrgaard
01-23-2006, 03:06 PM
Anders & Rick
Thanks for your thoughts I will post when IT happens! Oh and Anders this is the UK it doesn't get real cold. Grey, yes; rainy, yes, more grey, more rain!!! thats our winter. :lol:
Hope to see you all in April.

Regards
Bryan

Hope to see you too!http://www.metalmeet.com/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif

Anders, if you can get to EMM06, make sure to keep us posted so we can be there with you, if only in spirit.

Tuck,
I will keep you posted.... can't resist telling you what you're missing :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hairy-Neil
01-24-2006, 03:20 AM
Oh and Anders this is the UK it doesn't get real cold. Grey, yes; rainy, yes, more grey, more rain!!! thats our winter. :lol:

Has got really cold the last couple of days, daytime temp has probably dropped to chilly + 5C. I've had to find out my fingerless mittens and an extra pair of socks. :grin:

anders nrgaard
01-24-2006, 03:57 AM
Has got really cold the last couple of days, daytime temp has probably dropped to chilly + 5C. I've had to find out my fingerless mittens and an extra pair of socks. :grin:

Hey Neil,
What would you do if it got cold in UK?

We had 16C below last night :o :o :o :o http://www.metalmeet.com/forum/images/icons/icon10.gif

Hairy-Neil
01-24-2006, 05:18 AM
Hey Neil,

Hibernate....... ;)

BryanB
01-25-2006, 12:23 AM
Hey Neil,

We had 16C below last night :o :o :o :o http://www.metalmeet.com/forum/images/icons/icon10.gif
Anders if it got that cold in the UK I'd have to buy a new thermometer mine doesn't go down that low!! :lol:

JonD
01-25-2006, 12:57 AM
Anders ,

You must be immune to the cold. England in April should see you in t shirt and shorts :lol:

jlrussell4
01-25-2006, 04:40 AM
Hi all my European friends,

The last 4 days we have had temperatures in the 80'sF - 27C. Cooling off a bit today. http://206.125.208.236/forum/images/smilies/icon_smile.gif

anders nrgaard
01-25-2006, 11:08 AM
Anders if it got that cold in the UK I'd have to buy a new thermometer mine doesn't go down that low!! :lol:
Hey Bryan,
What kind of thermometer are you using.... lemonade? :lol: :lol:
Try spirit or mercuryhttp://www.metalmeet.com/forum/images/icons/icon12.gif

JonD Wrote:
Anders ,

You must be immune to the cold. England in April should see you in t shirt and shorts :lol:

Would be nice! http://www.metalmeet.com/forum/images/icons/icon6.gif

jrussell4 wrote:
Hi all my European friends,

The last 4 days we have had temperatures in the 80'sF - 27C. Cooling off a bit today. http://206.125.208.236/forum/images/smilies/icon_smile.gif

Jim,
I'm glad you're in Florida and not in Austria :o :o :o .... If they had those temperatures I'd be WATER skiing the Alps in a month :lol: :lol:

imagedude
02-03-2006, 05:27 PM
Are blacksmiths allowed to attend?

BryanB
02-04-2006, 05:32 AM
The little fella (boy) finally arrived on Friday at 2am and for Anders information it was approx. 3 or 4 degrees below zero, so I did pre warm the car!! Everyone is fine and all I've got to do now is think of a name!! :grin: :grin: :grin:

See you in April

Regards

Bryan

anders nrgaard
02-04-2006, 06:10 AM
The little fella (boy) finally arrived on Friday at 2am and for Anders information it was approx. 3 or 4 degrees below zero, so I did pre warm the car!! Everyone is fine and all I've got to do now is think of a name!! :grin: :grin: :grin:

See you in April

Regards

Bryan

CONGRATULATIONS BRYAN!
Good to hear you pre warmed the car and that everybody are allright http://www.metalmeet.com/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_1_66.gif http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/26/26_23_1.gif

jlrussell4
02-04-2006, 10:08 AM
Congratulations, Brian.
Be a proud daddy, children are fun!!

anders nrgaard
02-04-2006, 03:04 PM

See you in April

Regards

Bryan

Bryan,
Look here, what you'll have coming SHORTLY!! The kids won't leave you alone in the shop :o :o :o

Here's my little "shop assistant" Martin 2 years and 7 month!

Can I bring him over with me in April :lol: :lol:

http://www.metalmeet.com/photopost/data/500/medium/Checking_Mockup.JPG

JonD
02-06-2006, 03:36 AM
Fantastic news Bryan , I'm really please for you all.

Hopefully you've got a sleeper, but I wouldn't count on it ! :D

Best wishes to you, Julia and the little fella.

Jon

The little fella (boy) finally arrived on Friday at 2am and for Anders information it was approx. 3 or 4 degrees below zero, so I did pre warm the car!! Everyone is fine and all I've got to do now is think of a name!! :D :D :D

See you in April

Regards

Bryan

JonD
02-06-2006, 03:42 AM
Hi Bob?

Everyone is welcome, come along and have fun.

Perhaps we could learn some blacksmithing stuff !

Regards

Jon

Are blacksmiths allowed to attend?

Hairy-Neil
02-06-2006, 12:17 PM
I worked for several years in a blacksmith shop, mostly doing fabrication and sheetmetal work. Though I'm no blacksmith the guy I worked with was (still is) a master of the trade (COSIRA trained) and I learned enough about forge work, mainly just from watching him over the years to be able to hold the fort on odd occasions when he had some time off. Was mostly only pointing shuttering pegs and the like. The first go with a power hammer was daunting to say the least!

Personally I've found the training extremely useful for when I'm making tooling, hammerforms etc. for metal shaping.

BryanB
02-08-2006, 04:22 AM
All on Metalmeet

Thanks for the kind comments on the birth of Frederick.

Anders, I'm glad to see Martin is keeping an eye on your work, "quality control". In the photo he has obviously spotted an error and is adjusting it before you weld it up :lol: :lol:

Looking forward to meeting up with everyone at UK/EU MM

Thanks again and regards to all

Bryan

martin1000_2
02-13-2006, 11:05 AM
Hello, yes I will definitely be there for a couple of days, will let you know the exact dates soon ,Excellent. :-}

JonD
02-14-2006, 12:38 AM
Great stuff,

Look forward to meeting you in april.

jon

Hello, yes I will definitely be there for a couple of days, will let you know the exact dates soon ,Excellent. :-}

imagedude
02-21-2006, 06:38 PM
Looks like I'll be able to make Saturday and Sunday. I'll be arriving on the Friday afternoon. Are there any decent local eateries or shall I bring 3 days worth of sandwiches?

What size and capacity is your guillotine?

JonD
02-22-2006, 04:16 AM
look forward to seeing you there Friday afternoon/ evening. No problem with food, everything is available within a couple of miles. Take away or eat in. The local chip shop ( 100 yrds) is good and ideal for lunches. BBQ could also be an option for a lunchtime change.

The larger guillotine is 6ft and the capacity is 14swg mild steel & 16 swg stainless

Jon

Looks like I'll be able to make Saturday and Sunday. I'll be arriving on the Friday afternoon. Are there any decent local eateries or shall I bring 3 days worth of sandwiches?

What size and capacity is your guillotine?

JonD
03-02-2006, 07:17 AM
OK, only 5 weeks to go .... yipee!

The following people from mm have expressed interest in attending :

Me, BryanB, Hairy-neil, Anders, Imagedude, Martin1000, Dave1967, Covelluk.

There are a few guy's local to me who will be attending.

Anymore lurkers out there fancy coming along ?

I've found a local supply for sign tape, so flexable shape patterns are a go.
I've got some rod for making wire forms.
I'll price up some steel & Ali tomorrow, but put off purchase until closer to the time. We want bright steel not brown steel ;)

What other things do people fancy having a go at ?

Jon

BryanB
03-02-2006, 11:12 AM
Jon

5 weeks? I bet that'll crawl by then the Metalmeet days will fly by!
I'm hoping to try E-wheeling prior to building my own wheel. I also want to see some TiG welding. I'll bring my little DC TiG and gas to play around with. The flexible shape pattern work sounds great, tuck shrinking, would be another interest. Any skills really to assist with my Alfa 2600 project.

Now I've got to make a decision on dates, I'm flexible over the whole period but I do want to meet as many of the other chaps as possible. So I'm thinking it'll be the Friday-Sat-Sunday, but I'll hold out until a few more declare their intentions!

Do let me know if there is "stuff" that is required, Iwill bring a range of hand tools (hammers,sandbags,snips etc.) but do mention any specifics and if I've got them I'll bring them along.

Regards
Bryan

JonD
03-03-2006, 08:11 AM
Jon

5 weeks? I bet that'll crawl by then the Metalmeet days will fly by!

I'm not sure that it will crawl, life seems to be accelerating at the mo

I'm hoping to try E-wheeling prior to building my own wheel. I also want to see some TiG welding. I'll bring my little DC TiG and gas to play around with. The flexible shape pattern work sounds great, tuck shrinking, would be another interest. Any skills really to assist with my Alfa 2600 project.

None of that should be a problem, I've got my big wheel, No 2 wheel 90% finished and a 'quick and dirty' wheel to build if I get time. I've made some tucking forks and will make some more before ( or at ) the meet.

I had to look on the tinternet to see what a 2600 looked like, how bad is yours, bring photo's. What engine is in it ? I've got an engine and box from a spyder, late 60's I think.

I was down your way a couple of sundays ago picking up my new (to me) pickup up from a guy in New Milton. A long day but a nice area to live in. If I'd realised I should of made a weekend of it, popped round for a cuppa and visited beaulieu.

Now I've got to make a decision on dates, I'm flexible over the whole period but I do want to meet as many of the other chaps as possible. So I'm thinking it'll be the Friday-Sat-Sunday, but I'll hold out until a few more declare their intentions!

It looks like people will make a long weekend of it, but I opened it up thurs thru tues for the folk traveling some distance. The quiter days mean more tool availability.

Do let me know if there is "stuff" that is required, Iwill bring a range of hand tools (hammers,sandbags,snips etc.) but do mention any specifics and if I've got them I'll bring them along.

Bring whatever you want. Hand tools, sandbags and welding masks may be in short supply.

Jon

imagedude
03-03-2006, 03:37 PM
Are there any tools shown below that I should bring?

http://photos.imageevent.com/imagedude/blacksmithtinsmith/websize/PICT0277.JPG

JonD
03-06-2006, 02:34 AM
Wow, that's a serious collection of stakes :-o .

Sods law states - Which ever you bring won't be used and whichever you leave will be needed.:grin:

Bring you favourate hammers and stakes that you feel you may use. I've got a few stakes here (that I've never used yet). I've got a couple of anvils and swaging blocks . If you've got a small portable forge you may be able to show us a few things. If not no problem just trying to thinks of thing a bit different for folks to see.

not long now !

Jon

Lebreton
03-07-2006, 01:27 PM
Hi everybody
I really would enjoy to be there but it was not planned ... as I'm building an english weel it would have been THE occasion to use one, and also to meet enthusiastic people.
As my english is very very approximative (hard for me to understand a conversation : I learned in rally scooter or in pub !) do you think it could be a big problem ?
Hope I could join you an other time
Nico

JonD
03-08-2006, 01:13 AM
Hi everybody
I really would enjoy to be there but it was not planned ... as I'm building an english weel it would have been THE occasion to use one, and also to meet enthusiastic people.
As my english is very very approximative (hard for me to understand a conversation : I learned in rally scooter or in pub !) do you think it could be a big problem ?
Hope I could join you an other time
Nico

Hi Nico, Sorry you can not make the metalmeet. Perhaps next year.

I do not think the language would be a problem, we all speak metal , with hand gestures and my poor french and a dictionary we would have a great time.

see you next year

Jon

JonD
03-20-2006, 03:40 AM
With under 3 weeks to go I'd like to firm up on some numbers.

Who will be attending and any Ideas on what days.

With a better Idea of No's it may give us a clue on how much materials to get.

I've had a few days off work and spent 4 days last week at the workshop. 1 day to finally finish my other ewheel (still to paint) and 3 starting to clear up and prepare for the meet.

If nobody comes at least I'll have a shop I can now work in :grin:

see you all soon

Jon

BarryA
03-20-2006, 04:40 AM
Hi Jon

I will definetly be joining you on the Saturday (and maybe part of Sunday too)after two weeks at Contour Autocraft.
I hope that by that time I will have learnt enough to be able to make some kind of worthwhile contribution. (Even if I can't, I hope to learn a lot from everyone there)
If I had known about it earlier I would have changed my flights and stayed on till the Tuesday!

Looking forward to it
Barry Ashmole
By the way - are there any other members from South Africa on the forum? I haven't noticed any posts, but it would be great to get in touch with other metal shapers on this side of the world.

FriarTuck
03-20-2006, 08:53 AM
Hey guys, the "First Annual Euopean MetalMeet" is just around the corner, and it is shaping up to be a real "corker". I am really looking forward to timely reports from you guys who are lucky enough to participate. This is a real "groundbreaker". Kudos

Tuck

fordguyfordman
03-20-2006, 05:30 PM
Metalmeet goes international.... let's hear a big cheer.
Hope yours turns out as well as ours did. It's great meeting and working with people that have the same interest's.
Good Luck and be safe. Tom

paul 'botch' venners
03-23-2006, 10:34 AM
Hi Guys...

I would love to attend! I'm one of your SERIOUS lurkers, only made a few posts and non for 12 months :EEK!:

I'm an old aircooled vw nut (not that old I guess- turn 38 this year ;) ) and have been restoring/ customizing/ modifing them sice I was 18, and full time since I was 22....

I found this site when I finally decided to make a dream since those early days come true- that is not just to be able to repair panels but to make them.

Had a truely awefull year last year and had to relocate premises. BUT I theres a pullmax on the way and I'm hoping to build an e wheel by july.

I've already done countless experiments by hand and made tucking forks and an air planisher thanks to this wonderous site. CHEERS to everyone who has made contributions that have built up my knowledge and confidence.

Primarilly these days my day to day buisiness is building drag racing cars from air cooled vw's. Mad eh? you wouldn't have thought there was enough 'passing trade' in that line... ;)

As a thankyou in advance to anyone attending I'll extend an odd invitation to you all. If anyone is into drag racing then I get to take the occasional guest in ;). I'm a commentator at both Santa Pod and Shakespeare County Raceway (mostly at specialist events rather than championship rounds). If thats your bag then I might be your man!

Looking forward to meeting you all and learning some stuff. I can tig mild steel , and 'accomplish' things on a mill and a lathe.
Regards
Paul

p.s. Jon- your a man after my own heart, this is the sort of gathering that I've been doing for years in my scene. I know how much you will have sacrificed and how much effort goes in. Nice to see there's still some good guys left out there!

BryanB
03-23-2006, 12:20 PM
With under 3 weeks to go I'd like to firm up on some numbers.

Who will be attending and any Ideas on what days.

With a better Idea of No's it may give us a clue on how much materials to get.
Jon

Jon
Apologies for not getting back sooner but I've had a bit of a week, the usual mad rush at work and on top of that my 3 year old broke his leg and I had to spend a couple of days in hospital with him. Anyway I am planning to be in (sunny :-D I hope) Clethorpes on the Saturday and Sunday, It may be the Friday as well but I need to see how home life goes as the cast on said broken leg is due off around that time so I need to stay a little flexible!
As for material requirements. I have no set pieces to work on unless I can get a good session looking at my Alfa before I go but I want to try lots of processes, TiGing, wheeling tucking etc.etc. so I'll need some steel! If you're ordering then let me know the cost so I can reimburse you I have some Ali but I know its not too much, (quarter or half a sheet, not sure what grade half hard at a guess.)
Are you going to post directions? or will the whole of Cleethorpes be reverberating to metal thumping!
Looking forward to meeting you all

Bryan

paul 'botch' venners
03-23-2006, 02:20 PM
Anyway I am planning to be in (sunny :-D I hope) Clethorpes on the Saturday and Sunday, It may be the Friday as well but I need to see how home life goes as the cast on said broken leg is due off around that time so I need to stay a little flexible!

Looking forward to meeting you all

Bryan

Hey Bryan... will you be heading up the A34? if so, and you make the journey on Friday i'm 5 mins off the A34 from the Abingdon jnc, just south of Oxford. Kettle is always hot!

JonD
03-23-2006, 02:44 PM
Hurrah, some replies I was going thru the panic stage of 'No ones going to come !' :o

Barry from South Africa has confirmed Sat thru Mon.

Paul, Come on down ! Any Idea on when and for how long ? Being a hot rodder I'm always interested in drag racing.

Bryan, Sorry to hear about your lads accident, hope it's all OK. Looking forward to meeting you at last. You are looking at 5+ hours depending on the M25 to get here.

Material , I was trying to gauge how many people want to attend and then guesstimate the material requirements. Steel is working out at £22 + vat, Ali £38 + vat, still trying to source thin copper & foam. Divide the cost between those attending wether you use any or not (should be under £20, hopefully closer to £10). The same way as the big international metalmeet. My fear is not getting enough :(. Any cash left over we can put towards grub and other consumables etc.

Directions, I'm working on and will post early next week.

I've took some more time off work to continue clearing the main workshop. I'm up to day 5 so far and nearly there I hope.

Before :

http://www.metalmeet.com/photopost/data/3969/medium/Workshop_Clean_Before_9.jpg

http://www.metalmeet.com/photopost/data/3969/medium/Workshop_Clean_Before_5.jpg

http://www.metalmeet.com/photopost/data/3969/medium/Workshop_Clean_Before_4.jpg

Five days in : (yipee i can see the floor !)

http://www.metalmeet.com/photopost/data/3969/Workshop_clean_during_2.JPG

http://www.metalmeet.com/photopost/data/3969/Workshop_clean_during_1.JPG

Regards

Jon

Wray Schelin
03-23-2006, 03:39 PM
Hi Jon,

Wow, that's an awesome shop. :mrgreen::mrgreen: It looks like you have beaten back the clutter demon for awhile. Maybe you had to move everything to the yard and cover it with a blue tarp.:lol::lol:

I call cleaning the shop "capturing space" because it really is a war. :lol::lol: I'm convinced there is a tool and scrap collecting disease, maybe we can call it "Petermilesitis ferrousitis" in honor of Peter's chronic case. :o:o

With your example in the UK maybe they'll be a MetalMeet in France or the Netherlands next.

I wish you success and have a great time.:mrgreen:

FriarTuck
03-23-2006, 04:56 PM
Peter..........what?

Tuck

anders nrgaard
03-23-2006, 05:26 PM
Hi Jon,

Wow, that's an awesome shop. :mrgreen::mrgreen: It looks like you have beaten back the clutter demon for awhile. Maybe you had to move everything to the yard and cover it with a blue tarp.:lol::lol:

I call cleaning the shop "capturing space" because it really is a war. :lol::lol: I'm convinced there is a tool and scrap collecting disease, maybe we can call it "Petermilesitis ferrousitis" in honor of Peter's chronic case. :o:o

With your example in the UK maybe they'll be a MetalMeet in France or the Netherlands next.

I wish you success and have a great time.:mrgreen:

Yeah Wray,
Or I'll have to host one in Denmark, if I want to get a chance to participate!!!!!

Wife says that I've been to much away from home for the last couple of months, so I'm not going anywhere for some time :o :o :o :o

BryanB
03-23-2006, 09:57 PM
Jon
Amazing looking workshop I can't wait to get there! Whenever I have a tidy up I vow that it'll never get in a state again but then you pick up this and store that, the elastic walls are at breaking point and low and behold you've got to have another tidy up :lol:

Metal prices sound great, if you do end up with too much I can always take some on, so you dont have the expense of the stock.

Paul, I will be coming up the A34 so if it is a Friday depart I will be in touch, as it happens I'm often up that way as a friend runs an engine balancing company near Oxford and we take his Mustang and Alpine off to the races every now and then.

No Anders then? I was hoping to meet the legendary fastest poster on the site :lol: :lol: . Ohh well maybe it'll be an excuse to head to Denmark at some point when he hosts over there.

Regards to all

Bryan

anders nrgaard
03-23-2006, 10:04 PM
No Anders then? I was hoping to meet the legendary fastest poster on the site :lol: :lol: . Ohh well maybe it'll be an excuse to head to Denmark at some point when he hosts over there.

Regards to all

Bryan
Hi Bryan,
I'm SO p!$$€d that I can't come over!!!!!!:evil: :evil:

You'd be most welcome, ANYTIME!!!!!!

jvo
03-24-2006, 10:53 AM
Jon, nice shop, especially nice after the re-organization. You didn't really throw anything away, did you? Just kidding. I actually gave away an engine test stand that I built for my flathead engines to my buddy that's going to do my engine work. One tiny step forward for me. I sure wish I had the space that you have.

Its none of my business, but you mention you might have some cash left over from your meet. Consider having a raffle for it,( most of you should know by now, I really like raffles after winning the raffle for Wray's class), proceeds for one of you guys plane ticket to come to MM06. Again, none of my business, but we sure hope you can make it back again this year, too bad you couldn't make MM05. Have fun. John V.O.

imagedude
03-25-2006, 01:01 PM
I'll be arriving on Friday afternoon. I'll bring a forge and hopefully I'll be able to make some tinsmith stylee hammers. I'll make one tomorrow to make sure that I'm not going to embarress myself!

Have you got a buffing machine btw?

JonD
03-26-2006, 12:18 AM
Hi Jon,

Hi Wray, beating the clutter demon was a battle, moving thing into the yard and covering with a tarp is a good guess, I palleted everything up and spent the week dragging stuff in and out of the workshop :eek: .

I think me and my dad had 'Petermilesitis ferrousitis' bad, I have a couple of tons of scrap in the yard now and two pallets of offcut's that I've convinced myself will come in for future tool building projects :lol: :lol:

I'll have to host one in Denmark, if I want to get a chance to participate!!!!!

Bummer your not going to be with us, I was expecting to be hearing the pullmax running 24 x7 & seeing you with a wild glint in your eye :lol:

Give us some notice of a DK meet and i'm sure we can sort something out !

Amazing looking workshop I can't wait to get there! Whenever I have a tidy up I vow that it'll never get in a state again but then you pick up this and store that, the elastic walls are at breaking point and low and behold you've got to have another tidy up :lol:

Metal prices sound great, if you do end up with too much I can always take some on, so you dont have the expense of the stock.

Those elastic wall really catch you out, my dad keep saying 'I'carn't believe how big the shop looks', he's only been down there 40 years !

I found a box of 100+ resperator canisters on a shelf at the back of the shop with and expiry date of June 1979..... only 25 years out of date !!!

I'm sure we will be ok for steel & stuff. If we run out I've got a couple of sheet that i've had for a while so there is a free coating of brown haze applied :lol:

Jon, nice shop, especially nice after the re-organization. You didn't really throw anything away, did you?

jvo, I nearlly covered my computer with the tea i was drinking when you used that 'throw out' swear word :D The tidy up turned into an exercise in packing 'spare' stuff in other garages.

I'll be arriving on Friday afternoon. I'll bring a forge and hopefully I'll be able to make some tinsmith stylee hammers. I'll make one tomorrow to make sure that I'm not going to embarress myself!

Have you got a buffing machine btw?

imagedude, see you on friday pm, looking forward to seeing your forge in action and yes i've got a 3ph pedestal grinder with buffing wheels attached.

Jon

martin1000_2
03-26-2006, 03:48 AM
Hello, yes i will be there on Thursday, cant wait, mabee Friday if i can get the time off work, ill bring my bossing mallet and bag, I am really struggling to make a bowl, i have had it explained to me here on metal meet, but i keep making walkers crisps!! i need to make two bowls then weld them together to make a ball for my Samurai sculpture, hopfully i will get some pointers :-D see you there on the 6th thanks for hosting it, Regards Martin.

JonD
03-26-2006, 12:48 PM
Hello, yes i will be there on Thursday, cant wait, mabee Friday if i can get the time off work, ill bring my bossing mallet and bag, I am really struggling to make a bowl, i have had it explained to me here on metal meet, but i keep making walkers crisps!! i need to make two bowls then weld them together to make a ball for my Samurai sculpture, hopfully i will get some pointers :-D see you there on the 6th thanks for hosting it, Regards Martin.

Hi Martin,

Great news you can attend, what size are the bowls you are trying to make ? I'll have a practise if i get time.

see you in 11 days :o

Kerry Pinkerton
03-26-2006, 01:30 PM
To take a bowl to a hemisphere, you are going to need to master shrinking. You probably will not be able to stretch the metal out that far without it getting too thin and tearing. I've got one I've been demoing with and it's getting close to a hemisphere but it's VERY thin in the center.

imagedude
03-26-2006, 03:36 PM
Attendees can try making a creasing/panning hammer if they so desire. I started to make one this afternoon. Even simpler to make is the welder's pick, useful for people with my level of welding ability! ;-)

http://photos.imageevent.com/imagedude/makingahammer/websize/PICT0081_1.JPG

http://photos.imageevent.com/imagedude/makingahammer/websize/PICT0086.JPG

Hairy-Neil
03-26-2006, 05:36 PM
I found a box of 100+ resperator canisters on a shelf at the back of the shop with and expiry date of June 1979..... only 25 years out of date !!!

Jon

Remind us to steer clear of the fridge.....;)

I plan to come early and stay while I can keep myself amused. Still need to decide whether I can get away with stopping in accomodation or commuting..... :evil:

JonD
03-27-2006, 08:39 AM
Attendees can try making a creasing/panning hammer if they so desire. I started to make one this afternoon. Even simpler to make is the welder's pick, useful for people with my level of welding ability! ;)

Looking good imagedude, I'm sure people will be keen to see it in action. Building hammers/ hot sparks, sounds great. Perhaps we could make some leaf spring slappers and retemper them in the forge ?

Remind us to steer clear of the fridge.....;)

I plan to come early and stay while I can keep myself amused. Still need to decide whether I can get away with stopping in accomodation or commuting..... :evil:

Hi Neil, was just about to pm you to check your ok, haven't seen you around recently.

It's not the fridge you need to worry about, you wouldn't want to see the before photo's of the loo :D .

As for staying, bring a bag then you've got a choice ;)

Jon

edwardd_
03-27-2006, 10:23 AM
Too also celebrate the first UK/European Metalmeet 6th – 11th April 2006 :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

JonD
03-27-2006, 02:19 PM
Thanks David, but I don't see to be able to open the zip files :-(

Hairy-Neil
03-27-2006, 02:55 PM
It's not the fridge you need to worry about, you wouldn't want to see the before photo's of the loo :D .

As for staying, bring a bag then you've got a choice ;)

Jon

Don't tell me! I've worked in enough back street garages over the last 40 years to imagine. :???:

I still need to get my chit signed for the weekend......... :-(

edwardd_
03-27-2006, 03:30 PM
Jon,

Put 7-zip into a search engine. You will find the home page for them and download then install the software. Bug free, no virus, no junk.

Another alternative is WinZIP.

I just found 7-zip and it has a couple of nice features I like.

When you save the zip files to your PC, and have 7-zip installed, right click on the .zip file and drag it to a clear space in your window. Then extract the contents there.

HTH

Thanks David, but I don't see to be able to open the zip files :-(

Peter Miles
03-27-2006, 09:11 PM
I'm convinced there is a tool and scrap collecting disease, maybe we can call it "Petermilesitis ferrousitis" in honor of Peter's chronic case.

I'll have you know that I only bought one small new-to-me object this past weekend. Just a piece of tooling.

paul 'botch' venners
03-28-2006, 05:36 PM
Hi Folks!

Sorry for delay in replying. 63 hours between getting up friday morning and going to bed sunday nite! Normall day friday, off to old mates house end up listning to 80's music got three hours kip- then 14 day getting tow car for customers new pro vw drag car welded up, then all nite party then full day of commentating at santa pod! EEK! (was designated driver for afformentioned mate who was dj'ing- trouble was we didn't know he was last on to play -around 0430!!!!!! by the time I dropped him off ;) )

Anyhow I'll be arriving mid morning Saturday most likely. I'll bring a selection of hammers and dollies and my sandbag (you'll love it, an odd old welding gauntlet, screwed shut with some wood batton- the fingers come in most usefull lol ) Have you got a tig there? I could bring my little scratch lift cebora. The miller square weave will have to stay- must wiegh half a ton!)

I'll be at workshop till 5pm... but ring if you want to drop in, i'll hang on. I'll be travelling early am sat :)

JonD
03-28-2006, 11:36 PM
Hi Folks!
I'll be arriving mid morning Saturday most likely. I'll bring a selection of hammers and dollies and my sandbag (you'll love it, an odd old welding gauntlet, screwed shut with some wood batton- the fingers come in most usefull lol ) Have you got a tig there? I could bring my little scratch lift cebora. The miller square weave will have to stay- must wiegh half a ton!)

I'll be at workshop till 5pm... but ring if you want to drop in, i'll hang on. I'll be travelling early am sat :)
Paul,

Great to hear you're coming. I've got an AC/DC tig and I think Bryan is bringing his too.

Bring tools + photo's of anything interesting.

See you soon

Jon

BryanB
03-29-2006, 07:19 AM
Paul
As Jon said I will be bringing my little Cebora TiG hopefully with my modification of a foot pedal. I'm glad someone else has experience of one of these as I would like some guidance with it.

Regards to all

Bryan

JonD
04-03-2006, 04:06 AM
Glad you all made it

Jon

BryanB
04-03-2006, 10:38 AM
Jon

Great set of directions, I hope the photos are current with the bright weather and no rain, keep it like that for the weekend! :D I'm setting off Friday morning and heading back Sunday. If my boys wake me up early on Friday I'll be leaving at the crack of dawn but either way I hope to be there by late morning.
See you all this weekend!

Regards
Bryan

gator 1
04-03-2006, 02:51 PM
Hope you have a great meet. I wished i could come but i am booked solid till august. Roger was expecting 25 or 30 people and ended up with about 115. Hope you have lots of room cause once the metal starts pounding the people start coming...Gator:evil:

JonD
04-04-2006, 01:32 AM
Bryan, Great news that you can make Friday. The kettles alway on see you soon. I've ordered the good weather, lets hope they don't ship it royal mail :lol:

Gator, You're welcome anytime, I think this year will be a small event but you never know, watch this space for photo's etc.

I've recieved Kerry's 101 dvd yesterday. It plays fine & should be a real asset to the meet.

jon

paul 'botch' venners
04-04-2006, 02:53 PM
Paul
As Jon said I will be bringing my little Cebora TiG hopefully with my modification of a foot pedal. I'm glad someone else has experience of one of these as I would like some guidance with it.

Regards to all

Bryan

Hi Bryan..

Just worked out my route- its four hours for me, must be 5 or 5 1/2 for you! I didn't really get far with my little tig, bought the big one soon after and found the hf start much easier for learning!

Hey jon- after looking at the map you must be able to hear the sea and the screams from the footie ground. heaven and hell for me- love surfing but any so called 'sport' without wheels just ain't sport to me!! I'll bring double ear protection if they are playing saturday lol.

Shame I don't have a decent printer for the more recent mad projects. I have built some wierd stuff over the years. Last mad project was for discovery channels 'thunder races'- we were challanged to build monster trucks from white vans. We were blue team, transit. Was best wagen by far but we blew the lada niva transfer box after the first straight- about a 1/4 mile long- I'm not used to racing much further than that anyway lol!

Can't wait to meet you all

Bryan - don't forget if you want an early trip stop off, were 10 mins from A34 at Abingdon. 07760 443923

Just bought 3 foot slip roll and 6 foot air assisted gilotene- both Edwards models. Tool fever is gripping hard!

paul 'botch' venners
04-04-2006, 05:01 PM
Jon... forgot to mention earlier...

You would have liked where I found myself today... www.valley-gas.com

Motor blew on my compressor today so went to get it sorted and realised I was near a local hot rodder

I was suppossed to have intervied jimmy at Shakespeare County Raceway on Sunday for an upcomming sky-sports series (HURRAY! sportsman drag racing gets uk tv coverage for the first time) but rain stopped play. In so many ways DOH!

Anyhow he has one VERY kool workshop. I encouraged him to check out metalmeet, and the guy who has a shop round the corner- he mainly does very old mg's, but was rebuilding a 1960's masserati for himself and had a chopper in progress. Man has many wheeling skills :EEK: :)

After viewing both shops my eyes were green with envy and an overwhelming desire to bash and smooth metal :D

I've attatched a few pics of my new dragster (with partially fabbed 'rollcage') and My customer Mason's.. thats him not me in the pic. Typical north wellian, ginger and weel built!)
Both will be FULLY streamlined, including canaopy AND rear wheels. What with the turbo flat four vw engines it would be fair to say that there has never been anything built like these, anywhere in the world. And they are identical twins aside of rear axle arrangement and the fact that mines going to be high 8 second capable, his a 'mere' low 10!

BryanB
04-05-2006, 12:43 AM
Paul

Thanks for the offer of a stop off on route, I think you're right, I'm looking at 5+ hours or so even sticking on the M'ways doing two sides of the triangle but must be easier than the A roads directly. We'll see!!
If I leave early I think I'd be at Abingdon too early for you but if I'm passing at a reasonable time I will call. What sort of time do you get to your workshop? I'd love to see what you're up to in the metal so to speak. The pics were great to see. Low 8's for a VW sounds quick!!! Although I know nothing about drag racing.
Looking forward to meeting you this weekend.

Jon
You mentioned on a post about using a projector for the DVD I have blagged a projector from work and will have it with me if that helps.

Roll on Friday. :mrgreen:

Regards to all

Bryan

JonD
04-05-2006, 02:29 PM
Paul, no footie this week thankfully. the sea is at the end of the road, a bit brown though. Dragster looks cool, frame looks meaty. See you Saturday, don't be late :mrgreen: .

Bryan, Just picked the projector up, was told that it can be a bit tempermental, so if you bring yours that would be great.

not long now !

Jon

JonD
04-05-2006, 02:40 PM
It's the night before christmas and all through the shop ........ not quite but you get the picture :) .

Picked up the steel yesterday in my lunch hour. The Ali was supposed to be dropped off today but nothing turned up. Promised delivery tomorrow.

Still seems lots to do, but the clean up is finally finished. Weighed in 1.5 tonnes of scrap!

I'm planning to be at the shop before 9am every day and we can work throught til late.

Sunday lunchtime I'll do a BBQ & draw for Kerry's dvd.

Tomorrow see's Martin & a few local guys. The rest of you are turning up Friday / Sat . Anyone travelling up friday night, let me know and I'll keep the shop open til you arrive. That way you can unload any gear you have, In this day and age it is not wise to leave tools & stuff in your vehicles overnight. It's not a rought area just seem to be the way of the world.

Let the hammering commence :mrgreen:

Jon

tdoty
04-05-2006, 02:52 PM
Hope you guys have half the fun we had in Staunton at the April Fool's Meet! Wish I could have made it, but life sometime's gets in the way of the fun! :D

Tim D.

paul 'botch' venners
04-05-2006, 03:23 PM
Bryan..

Normally get to workshop around 8.30, but would be more than happy to head on in early! Call or text me anytime up till 10pm tommorrow to confirm.

Jon- my old dragster was built mid 80's, before hard and fast rules were set for construction. I always over engineer everything on the basis better to be safe than sorry ;) It's all 10 gauge 1" 1/4, except the 'shoulder bar' and 'roll over hoops', 10 gauge 1" 5/8 Haven't weighed them yet- but me and my dad can lift the entire chassis and I'm guessing its about 85kg at the mo. I fly in the face of conventional wisdom on many discussions. Especially when it comes to weight in drag cars and especially vw ones- I like 'um heavy. Gives the turbo something to spool up against :D especially with 28" tall slicks!!!!

I'll bring a couple of spare welding masks with me for any newbie welders to spectate with...

Booked in at the pub/hotel- as of 12pm today they had 2 rooms left I think. What a bargin, but no breakfast on sundays :(

Paul

ps.. hardly a shop tour but one of my customers took some arty farty black and white shots on old skool real 35mm film stock a couple of weeks ago. Apparently he was inspired by a retro photographer named Perry. I'm dead chuffed with the results! This time it is me in the pics!

http://s33.photobucket.com/albums/d100/Nealie/Botch/?action=view&current=15.jpg

paul 'botch' venners
04-07-2006, 02:44 PM
I was hoping jon may have posted to say how the day went!

It's not all a conspiracy to collect slave workers and metal shaping tools from the south of england to build northern rods is it? :D :D :D

Nice to meet you Bryan, cheers for dropping by. Hope the journey was ok- and I will see you all mid morning tommorrow...

Can't wait!

I've put some pics on another thread for my upcomming project...

http://www.metalmeet.com/forum/showpost.php?p=51085&postcount=15

Hairy-Neil
04-07-2006, 11:39 PM
I was there. :wink: I think Jon was rather too occupied to check the posts here. He got very little shaping done himself yesterday, pandering to all our needs.

The kettle's permanently boiling though, I think I counted 7 cups of tea in the 9 hours I spent there. We were all made most welcome at Jon's workshop too which was something else.......A hobby workshop kitted to put many metalshaping business to shame.

Some nice projects in the pipeline and previous builds too between Jon and his father.

Got to go now, I've a 60 mile drive back to Cleethorpes for another day's pounding. :mrgreen:

FriarTuck
04-08-2006, 08:54 AM
Hey Hairy, usually takes a few days after folks get home to start getting the pictures and recounts of activities. I know you're all having a great time, us on this side of the pond can be patient. Have fun, let us know how it went.

Tuck

Hairy-Neil
04-08-2006, 04:12 PM
Hey Hairy, usually takes a few days after folks get home to start getting the pictures and recounts of activities. I know you're all having a great time, us on this side of the pond can be patient. Have fun, let us know how it went.

Tuck

I'm commuting so am possibly the only one with access to the PC.

Car parking almost became a problem this afternoon, the site being right in the middle of town..... not to mention the queue for the wheeling machines. More importantly though, a lot of encouragement was passed on to those present to go home and get stuck into our dream projects. More than a few of us, our host Jon in particular, have been suffering too long from the dreaded toolitis.

Personally, today I got to try out a hammerform I fabricated some 2-3 years ago and never quite got round to testing out. Pleased to report a great success, I now have my first panel ready for my pick-up truck conversion. No excuses now, I will have to post some pictures of my project soon now I have progress to report. :oops:

Boogiemanz1
04-08-2006, 05:28 PM
Guys you cannot beat attending a Meet! This is the best think about belonging to this group. I think those first-time guys that attended Rogers Apr fools meet will testify. You get a feeling of belonging, meet like-minded people, and get first hand knowledge to take home with you......... Now you need to try a Int.Metalmeet...I think Jon will testify to that ......................john

BryanB
04-10-2006, 01:45 AM
I’m home! after a 7 hour drive through sleet and snow down through the Midlands, UK/Euro Metalmeet 2006 is over for me. :cry:
A huge thanks to JonD and his folks for organising it and making it run smoothly, he made sure we all could get on and try whatever we wanted to which meant he didn’t really get much shaping done.
I meet a great bunch of blokes and had information overload which I now have to put into practice, and more important than doing metal shaping is I have a huge list of tools to acquire and make, which means I can put off any real work on my Alfa for years. :mrgreen: We love tools!!
I’ve now tried a Pullmax, (must have one) a couple of wheels (must build one) bead roller (will get one) shrinker/stretcher (on order) HF TiG (bloody amazing).
Loved every minute of my weekend, Oh except my one night at the Leaking Boot!!!!
I feel like I’ve known Kerry Pinkerton all my life as he was talking us through tuck shrinking on the big screen (recommend his DVD, thanks for getting a copy across for us)
Some photos will follow but takes a bit long on dial up here at home.
Thanks to Pete (Covell!) for all the welding tips good luck with the Volvo project, thanks to Barry all the way from South Africa! who spent a lot of time showing me wheeling, Paul "Botch Venners" what can I say a constant source of whit and amusement, top top bloke, thanks for the visit to your shop. Hairy Neil looking forward to seeing your A35 pick up, lovely hammer forming, Bob who has a great portable furnace nd produced great hammers.
Again a huge thanks to Jon who spent weeks tidying up and really does have an amazing set of workshops, and he let us loose using what ever tools we wanted! Late Saturday evening Jon was wheeling away on a bit of ali and we said what you making? he replied nothing really I just haven't used my new wheel yet and wanted to try it! His wheel with Hoosier pattern wheels and anvils all brand new and we'd all been using it all day but he hadn't even got on it!. What a great and generous bloke, thanks again>

imagedude
04-10-2006, 05:50 AM
A toy shop to rival my own! Good to see some old schools skills being used and passed on to a new generation. Look forward to using the new helve, vacuum former and laser scanner at the next meet.

covelluk
04-10-2006, 11:28 AM
cleethorpes awoke to the sound of metal bashing,i awoke to the sound of a pin dropping! what a great weekend.many thanks to jon(harbour freight)d who hosted the event,great venue,amazing tool collection.i think jons motto is"if its not broken,make another(it may come in handy)"! .two of everything,even hotrods!.Met a great group of guys,felt like a family reunion,but with a mission-to make more woks than ken hom has! and to make copper roses to keep the ladies sweet for next years event!
much was learned over the weekend,i learned not to make a tucking hammer(but to make a power hammer and shrinking dies),bryan leared to buy a hf and not a lift tig,jon learned that under 1 1/2 tons of scrap steel the workshop had a floor,we learned that lead loading a fender can be overdone! and every one learned that a flat metal disk could turn into a bowl!
Anyway many thanks again jon for organising it,and thanks to all who made the event what it was.
Off to the garage now to finish my wooden buck so next year i can make a part to fit my volvo and not a part i intend to cut off!

paul 'botch' venners
04-10-2006, 04:25 PM
PLEASANT weekend!

Most Important things learned...

1) HOWARD makes the best stumps.

2) Hairy neil is actually 'HAMMERFORM HARRY'

3) Pinkerton or Pete 'pinch'? ( Kerry you honestly wouldn't believe how many times we all watched you on the big screen, over and over trying to master your tuck shrink!!)

4) If you have a leaky boot you are in BIG TROUBLE :D ;) (feel free to optimise your hotel options and move down the road for a classier option)

5) If your practise bowl isn't exactly going to plan..... don't worry. You too can make a bird bath (as long as the birds that visit your garden are vertically challanged sparrows), a replica WWII 'tommy' helmet etc, etc

6) With a tiny bit of encouragement 'young' minds can achieve great things. (one of jon's rodding mate's son tom (21 but looking younger) turned up shy and bewildered and went home with one of the best bowls and a fantastic rose- all in one day!

7) if you like a day without constant interuptions and really bad wise cracks say NO when a commentator asks to attend your metalmeet!

My Personal goals for the weekend that were achieved/ surpassed...

Meet new folks (do this all the time but generally in the same interest areas). SURPASSED- made great new friends.
Practise Al-u-min-imum welding on the tig. (Al-oooom-inum for you guys on the other side of the pond). SURPASSED- with jon's brand new modern rig it just seemed to flow out like toothpaste!
Have a go on an e-wheel. Had PLENTY of practise... these bird bath/troup hats need a lot of planashing don't they?

What with the hands on use of the pullmax (jon has owned it a couple of years and never had a go with it), bead rollers, seeing a wealth of information from various videos and dvd's etc this was everything I had dreamed in rolled into one.

Huge thanks to everyone for the shared experiance. Jon can you please say hi and thanks to your ma and pa again, and also pass on my thanks to your VERY understanding thanks to your wife, not only for the time you gave us all this weekend but also for the HUGE amount of time you put in preparing for the meet.

Can't wait for the next one.... Hopefully we will all be as good as pete ********** (insert the name of your metalshaping god here) :D See you all again soon!

remember the immortal words of Vera Lynn boys... "WHEEEL MEET AGAIN, DON'T KNOW WHERE, DON'T KNOW WHEN... ;)

BarryA
04-12-2006, 04:22 AM
Got back to sunny South Africa this morning and I have to say the only thing I don't miss is the cold!
Thanks to everyone involved in the weekend. Being starved for interaction with metal shapers of any description this end of the world, the chance to spend three days talking metal, hammering, tucking, wheeling et al was really great. Hope to be able to do it again sometime - who knows, in years to come we may even be able to have a sunnier version way down south :D

A special thank you to Jon for all your hospitality and effort before and during a really memorable weekend - all in all just FAN...TASTIC!!

Kerry Pinkerton
04-12-2006, 04:51 AM
Barry, it probably wouldn't be much difference in airfare for you to attend the International Meet in Oblong. Think 250+ people and EIGHT days!!!!! Drinking from a fire hose is a woefully inadquate description.

JonD
04-12-2006, 07:21 AM
Hi All, Thanks for the great feedback. I’m really please everyone had a good time and I thank you all for making the effort to come to BOWLFEST. I’m sure many long term friendship have been formed over the last few days.

I’ve uploaded some photo’s to my album here : http://www.metalmeet.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=3973 (http://www.metalmeet.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=3973)

I’ll do a write up and include some of the photos in the next day or so.

All I can say is FAN-TASTIC:lol: . (Neil pointed out that this was my favourite word. )

With the positive feedback, I’m sure we will meet at UKMM07.

If anyone fancies a day/weekend making scrap at my shop, drop me a line with some notice and come on down ! :D

Jon

FriarTuck
04-12-2006, 08:54 AM
Great meet Jon, wonderful shop, you really put together a winner. I'll be watching for your write-up. Looks like a blast for everyone there. Thanks

Tuck

Hairy-Neil
04-12-2006, 02:16 PM
Thanks again for a super weekend. I really have returned home with a new enthusiasm to make some progress with the pick-up project.

And Lynne did appreciate the copper rose despite joking about putting it on ebay.

Neil

JonD
04-13-2006, 08:21 AM
Well that’s this event over and all that is left to do is thank all that attended and do a quick write up. My memory is a bit blurred but you should all get the gist.

http://www.metalmeet.com/photopost/data/3973/UKMM06_022.jpg

http://www.metalmeet.com/photopost/data/3973/UKMM06_012.jpg
The event was scheduled for Thursday thru Tuesday , but turn out to be Friday thru Monday, which was a good thing. Thursday was spent building bag / stump stands and arranging benches/equipment. A day off on Tuesday gave me time to recover before work on Wednesday.

Friday.
Arrived at the shop early to try and get a lower anvil holder fabbed for the set of 2inch lowers I had so that the cast ewheel could see some use. Checked my phone about 9:30 ish to find a text from Neil (HairyNeil) to say he was on his way. This was sent before 8 & he lives 1.5 hours away …. :o better crack on.

Neil arrived shortly after followed by Bryan (BryanB) & Pete(covelluk). We all chatted for a while, watched part of Kerry’s DVD and generally got to know each other. After a couple of hours some metal pounding was required. Tuck shrinking bowls were decided upon, a quick recap watching Kerry, guillotined some 12 inch circle from 19g steel and we were off. Much grumbling and rewatching kerry and some fine bowls were taking shape.
http://www.metalmeet.com/photopost/data/3973/UKMM06_011.jpg

Bob (imagedude) arrived later after breaking down on the way. Unloaded his Blacksmithing stuff & fired up the forge.
http://www.metalmeet.com/photopost/data/3973/UKMM06_014.jpg

I’m not quite sure what happened the rest of the day. We had fish & chips, played with the pullmax (beading / circle cutting etc). Watched more of kerry and called it a day at 11:15 ish. I still had to finish the anvil holder started 15 hours before!

Saturday
Finally finished the anvil holder & got the other wheel up and running.

Everyone from the previous day arrived bright and early. Bryan (our resident hotel tester) reported that ‘the boot’ was a real dive. Pete recommended his hotel and reservations were switched. Paul(paul ‘botch’ venners) arrived , along with a couple of local guys Carl & Ady. I collected Barry (BarryA) from the train station. Barry had come over from South Africa for a 2 week course at Contour Autocraft and was able to extend his trip to take part in the metalmeet.

More tuck shrinking, more cursing and the general feeling that Kerry’s DVD had at least every other hammer blow edited out during his tuck shrink demo:D

Barry, Pete and Bryan tried out creating a flexible shaped pattern of the rear section of Pete’s Volvo fender. Aluminium was chosen after the day of tuck shrinking steel had taken it’s toll.
http://www.metalmeet.com/photopost/data/3973/UKMM06_005.jpg

Every time someone tried something new a small crowd of spectators would gather.
http://www.metalmeet.com/photopost/data/3973/UKMM06_013.jpg

Welding, tucking, wheeling, pattern making, everyone seemed busy and having fun:cool: .
http://www.metalmeet.com/photopost/data/3973/UKMM06_009.jpghttp://www.metalmeet.com/photopost/data/3973/UKMM06_010.jpg

Saturday evening consisted of trying out every piece of equipment in the shop. From all the pullmax tooling to the antique angle & t section bender.
http://www.metalmeet.com/photopost/data/3973/UKMM06_034.jpg

A bit of liquid refreshment and piza’s followed by a film show completed the evening. By 1am most were feeling weary and went off to there hotels.

Paul, Bob, Carl, Bryan, Barry & Pete
http://www.metalmeet.com/photopost/data/3973/UKMM06_016.jpg

Sunday
Everyone arrived and cracked on. I spend the first part of the morning with Pete, Bob & Barry fixing my guillotine which had stopped halfway through a cycle. This was my fault and goes to show that you should not stomp on the pedal after you’ve turned the motor off.:(

My mate Andy and my Dad’s mate’s son Tom joined us for a day’s shaping.

Lunch time and I fired up the BBQ to find out shortly after that I was low on gas. Plan 2 was put into action. Tip out the laver rock and switch to charcoal. Once bob with a propane torch and myself with oxy/acetylene cutter had heated the charcoal to the temp of molten magma the cooking could continue.

Ady, Carl, Andy, Mum & Bob
http://www.metalmeet.com/photopost/data/3973/UKMM06_027.jpg

Andy, Bryan, Barry, Paul & Pete lunching next to the fantastic sign bryan made.
http://www.metalmeet.com/photopost/data/3973/UKMM06_021.jpg

Neil making a Rose.
http://www.metalmeet.com/photopost/data/3973/UKMM06_017.jpg

Pete completed his flex shape pattern practise piece
http://www.metalmeet.com/photopost/data/3973/UKMM06_032.jpg

Paul tries his hand at an aluminium bowl
http://www.metalmeet.com/photopost/data/3973/UKMM06_033.jpg

Neil tried out a hammer form he built a couple of years ago to great success.

http://www.metalmeet.com/photopost/data/3973/UKMM06_042.jpg

http://www.metalmeet.com/photopost/data/3973/UKMM06_043.jpg

The majority of people had to return home and the afternoon/ evening was interspersed with goodbyes to new friends.

We finished about 8ish with Barry and myself going for an all you can eat Chinese buffet. What would a metalmeet be without a Chinese buffet. Very reminiscent of mm04 in Robinson.

Monday
A laid back day with Barry, Neil, Carl and myself. Neil tried out his buck/hammer form. This takes two people to lift …..:o .
http://www.metalmeet.com/photopost/data/3973/UKMM06_037.jpg

http://www.metalmeet.com/photopost/data/3973/UKMM06_038.jpg

I tried some shaping (not sure if i like it, may go back to tool building :lol: ) and practised ali welding with my new foot pedal.

All in all, a fantastic few days with a great group of people.

Roll on the next meet.

Jon

Kerry Pinkerton
04-13-2006, 09:51 AM
Thanks for a great report Jon! More importantly thanks for advancing the cause for sharing information, growing skills about Metalshaping through all the pain you went through to clean your shop and host the meet. (although cleaning the shop is it's own reward:lol: :twisted: :lol:

JonD
04-13-2006, 12:26 PM
oops... forgot to mention that the winner of the fantastic Metalshaping 101 DVD kindly donated by Kerry was ............BryanB.

A number of good things came out of the meet:

1, met some great people
2, I have now got a workshop I can work in !
3, I'm going to have a weekly wednesday night metalshaping evening :D
4, Actually did some metalshaping:o

regards

Jon

Thanks for a great report Jon! More importantly thanks for advancing the cause for sharing information, growing skills about Metalshaping through all the pain you went through to clean your shop and host the meet. (although cleaning the shop is it's own reward:lol: :twisted: :lol:

yogs
09-14-2012, 02:48 PM
Just thought I would bring this one back from the graveyard.....

Metal basher formally known as paulbotchvenners signing back in as Yogs!

Guys - I will see how many of you are still around here over the coming weeks. Last 6 years have just flown by....

BUT this week I installed an old school Edwards English Wheel, a box pan finger folder and a 3 foot treadle gilly in my wkshop, and hope to move the trumpf nibbler I bought around 2007 in over the coming weeks. Me and metal are massively reconnecting after many years in the wilderness!!

Hope you are all well

Paul

Hairy-Neil
09-16-2012, 07:59 AM
Hi Paul, we must be overdue for a reunion/UK Metalmeet.... :cool:

imagedude
09-16-2012, 12:42 PM
Hello Paul, you still commentating at Santa Pod?

Bob

BarryA
09-16-2012, 09:50 PM
Hey Paul - I am still about too. Just a long way away...

yogs
09-18-2012, 02:58 PM
Hi Guys!!!

Bob... yeah, although after 18 years I have scaled back a little this year and next year... to be honest I quite like the idea of the 'quiet' world of metalshaping being my primary income. Since the last time you all saw me life got very hectic, and my day to day business of welding up VW's and building race car chassis's kind of took a back seat....

BUT... it's bashing time. And Neil has become my Guru (not sure if he has realised it yet) as I see making and using Hammerforms becoming a very big part of my life in the very near future!!

Is JohnD still around? His gaff was such an ace place to meet up - I really enjoyed those meets, the real fish cakes and chips :-)

I shall over the next couple of weeks be spending more and more time 'in here'

So many questions, so many projects... and for the first time in 6 years SO MUCH TIME for metal bashing! Hurray ;-)

Paul

Hairy-Neil
09-19-2012, 04:55 AM
Hi Guys!!!

Is JohnD still around?

Paul

He last looked in here on 30th august....

.... And Neil has become my Guru (not sure if he has realised it yet) as I see making and using Hammerforms becoming a very big part of my life in the very near future!!

Paul

:cool: :)

Khe Sanh
05-05-2013, 12:43 PM
Hi Guys,

Any plans for a meet in the UK this year? I'm only a newbie to metal shaping but would be keen to meet folk with similar interests and learn from the more seasoned guys.

Cheers,

Mitch

Maxakarudy
05-06-2013, 01:25 PM
I was hoping someone in the uk might arrange something, do you take a poll to see what interest there would be?

I know it's easier said than done, but we have some great companies making great things, it would be fantastic if they opened their doors to the humble enthusiast.

I'm only new to this site, have there been any meetings in the past?

Martin

Khe Sanh
05-06-2013, 01:37 PM
I'm keen so hopefully if others are interested then we could look at options to where a meet could be held if there is enough interest. Anyone else keen?

Mitch

carl180
06-29-2013, 12:05 PM
hi guys i would be keen were missing out over here. carl