PDA

View Full Version : Southern Ontario, Canada, Regional Meet

kenb
01-02-2006, 08:18 PM
Calling all Metalshapers in Southern Ontario, Canada

Hi Metalmeet,

I've been kicking this idea around for quite a while, and I've decided that now is the time to offer to host a Southern Ontario Regional Meet sometime this winter. The Metalmeet membership list indicates that there are several members around here, so I've decided to pitch the idea tonight to get a measurement of the interest level in an organized gathering for metalshapers in the Southern Ontario area. The actual date for such an event will be determined at a later time by the preferences of those people who wish to attend.

I have a brand new basement workshop over here that should be large enough for at least a half dozen interested participants. For equipment to play with, I can offer up my 16" Imperial English wheel, a beater bag & stand, tucking fork, Myford ML7 lathe, home-built bead roller, small drill press, as well as bench space and a common selection of hand & power tools. Feel free to bring along your hammers, dollies, slappers, and anything else metalshaping that might enhance the experience for all who choose to attend.

I have a couple of interesting projects happening, including my aluminum PT Boat and an interesting new approach to the go-cart slick, and I'd like to see what everybody else around here is working on as well. Feel free to bring something along and make some noise with it.

Since I'm a metalshaping rookie myself, I want to make it clear that I'm probably not in a position to teach anyone too much about these skills yet, but I'd be elated if I can spend a weekend working metal with others who share my enthusiasm for the art of metalshaping. If you are a seasoned metalshaper, come on over, we could really use a guy like you to show us what we're doing!

If you're interested in joining in, send me a PM or just reply to this thread. I'm located in the Flamborough area about 15 minutes north of Hamilton, roughly 8km west of Waterdown along Hwy 5.

Cheers,
Ken

KMAC
01-03-2006, 04:17 AM
Hey KENB I would like to be involved in your workshop weekend. I live 25 miles west of London and very familiar with Flamboro Speedway having raced there many years ago. Have a shrinker stretcher and many hand tools I could bring. I was a Winston Cup crew chief in the 70s for Earl Ross and have biult many late model race cars . My email is KDMAC@sympatico.ca
Kenny Mckichan

derant
01-03-2006, 07:47 AM
Hi Ken,

A Southern Ontario MetalMeet sounds like a great idea.
I am located in Newmarket, so I'm 60min away and would love to attend.

I have a bunch of equipment that I would be willing to bring as well. If I can convince a buddy of mine to join me -- he has a trailer, I could bring my benchtop E-wheel (which I am almost finished buidling), beater bag stand w/ tucking forks, hammer(s), slappers, electric shears etc.

I am fairly new at metalshaping as well. But I am thoroughly enjoying the craft. I was at the MetalMeet 05 and learned a bunch there. So I would be willing to do what I can to promote the craft around here and help others and learn more myself.

kenb
01-03-2006, 09:59 AM
Well, that didn't take too long! I really happy to see that there is some interest around here for getting together for some metalshaping.

Kenny,
So you've raced at Flamborough Speedway as well! I ran in several endurance races there back in the late 80's with my trusty 76 Monte Carlo, until there wasn't really enough left of it to fix for the next race. I live about 10 minutes south of the track, so you should have no problem finding your way over here.

Derrol,
It would be excellent to have a MM05 veteran join us, and I'd really like to see those slappers in action. I hope your buddy with the trailer is interesed, it would be great to see your e-wheel and have a second machine available.

Well guys, it looks like we might be on to something here, as I 've also recieved a couple of e-mails from other locals who are interested as well. I'll be keeping track of everbody who's interested, and I will contact each of you once we get a feel for how many people want to join in.

Cheers,
Ken

KMAC
01-03-2006, 03:57 PM
Sounds good KENB I have a friend in Cambridge and I mentioned it to him today so we will see I am sure he will come and I have an engineer friend who will come also I know a tin tapper in London who I think I can turn into an instructor though I have not talked to him yet. Keep me informed you have my email. Thanks kenny Mack

fordguyfordman
01-03-2006, 05:24 PM
Interested in a newbie from pickering? I've been forming metals for 15 years...about time to shape up. Keep me posted my benchtop ewheel just needs the anvils done then it's try out time.
Tom

kenb
01-03-2006, 07:36 PM
Interested in a newbie from pickering? I've been forming metals for 15 years...about time to shape up. Keep me posted my benchtop ewheel just needs the anvils done then it's try out time.
Tom

Hi Tom,
The more the merrier, I hope you can make it. I'm impressed by the number of people who have stepped forward in the 24 hours since I brought this up, I may just have to knock down a wall downstairs a few months ahead of schedule to make some more room down there.
I'll send all of you folks a message in the near future so we can start figuring out which weekend will work out the best for everybody.

p.s. Tom - You'd better get busy on those anvils!

Cheers,
Ken

ronh72c10
01-05-2006, 05:27 AM
Sounds good, planning a mini project for everyone to work on?

Ron

tpinkard
01-05-2006, 05:16 PM
Hi Ken,
Would you be willing to let a foreigner attend your meet? I am located in Westland Mi., just a 1\2 hr. from Windsor. I have been wanting to do something like this and so far this is the closest one. I am green and need any exposure I can get. I have only pounded on some metal a little so far. Aggression therapy is great but, in the end I would love to learn how to turn it into something useful and good looking. Please let me know if you have any room.

Tim

kenb
01-05-2006, 09:54 PM
Hi guys,

Ron,
Glad to see you got my message. I don't have any plans for a group mini project yet, but it sounds like a great idea and I'm open to suggestions. Once I get an idea as to who is interested in attending, we'll bounce a few ideas around to see what everybody would like to do with our weekend.
I did a search of the membership list yesterday for Ontario members who have posted at least once in the past twelve months, and I came up with roughly ten current Metalmeet members in the Ontario area. I sent a PM to each of them last night, so I'm going to play the waiting game for a week or so to give those who are interested a chance to check their messages.

Tim,
By all means come on over and join in on the fun, this meet is open to anyone who would like to attend until I can't fit any more people in the basement. Don't worry too much about being green with regards to metalshaping, I'm pretty much on the ground floor myself and I'm looking forward to the learning experience that awaits us. I've added your name to my contact list, so keep an eye on your PM's for updates that will follow in the next couple of weeks.

Cheers,
Ken

aosborne9952
01-11-2006, 06:15 AM
Hi Ken. I live in Cobourg. I have never tried to shape metal for anything and this boat will be my first attempt. I would be very interested in seeing anything that would help me get going. sounds like there are a few interested parties for a meet.

I am very interested.

kenb
01-11-2006, 08:51 PM
Hi Ken. I live in Cobourg. I have never tried to shape metal for anything and this boat will be my first attempt. I would be very interested in seeing anything that would help me get going. sounds like there are a few interested parties for a meet.
I am very interested.

Hi aosborne9952,

We have much in common when it comes to our projects, and your timing is nothing short of amazing. I just started working skin panels for my PT Boat model two weeks ago, and I'm hoping to be lucky enough to pick up a few pointers about making them when I host my regional meet. You are very welcome to join in, and I'd love to hear some more details about this destroyer you are working on.

Your name has been added to my contact list, so keep an eye on your PM's for updates that will follow shortly. I'll need to know your first name though, so I know what to call you when I send you the details!

Cheers,
Ken

fordguyfordman
01-22-2006, 11:23 AM
Hi Ken,
Just a little bit of a side note. As long as my moving at the end of february doesn,t conflict with the meet I have a small surprise to bring.
Both you and Allan are talking about forming panels for your boats. My next door neighbor was in need of custom exhaust for his r.c. boats. The problem was they are dual cone shaped attached together at the large ends. In order to make such a small diameter cone I built a small scale slip roller.
It is effective but still could be better, needs slightly bigger gears. If I am able to make it to the meet I'll bring it with me so you can check it out.

kenb
02-01-2006, 09:34 PM
Hello Southern Ontario (and adjacent area) Metalshapers,

I'd like to bring everybody up to date on the planning for our Southern Ontario Regional Metalmeet. I've recieved valuable feedback from interested participants regarding what we would like this event to be, and I'd like to share the details as they stand now with everybody who has expressed an interest in attending.

DATES

My employer has just released my work schedule for the months of February and March, so I can now confidently suggest some possible dates for our Southern Ontario Regional Metalmeet. I'm required to work every second weekend, and this is the list of my free weekends between now and April:

Feb 11/12
Feb 25/26
Mar 11/12
Mar 25/26

I'll be able to host a regional meet on any one of these weekends, so hopefully one of them will be suitable for most of us to get away for a weekend of metalshaping. I'd appreciate it if all interested participants would send me a PM indicating which weekends will work for you or not, so that we can select the best date for our Southern Ontario Regional Metalmeet as soon as possible.

GROUP PROJECT IDEAS

We have a couple of group project ideas on the table right now, and the door is still wide open for suggestions if you have an idea that may be of interest to the rest of us.

I've heard lots of feedback from members interested in making some motorcycle fenders and such, which sounds like a pretty good idea when one considers the number of bike enthusiasts who post regularly here. If you guys would like to make up some new parts for your bikes or cars, I'd like nothing more than to learn how it's done while you're working on it.

Another suggestion (mine!), is fabricating a perfect 18 guage sphere out of pentagon shapes or something like that. This would require using flexible shape patterns & profile guages to ensure accuracy, and could possibly be modelled on a soccer ball or something similar.

New ideas are still welcome, so keep 'em coming guys, it's showtime.

TOOLS

As far as tooling goes, it looks like we might have at least two or three english wheels available, as well as some extra beater bags and some other related impliments. I'd like to mention a couple of specific items that I don't have around over here, just in case someone has one that they could bring along:

1) Small welder - Mig, Tig, Stick, Torch, whatever you have. I don't have a welder over here, but I do have the hydro to run one. If you have something portable that you could bring over, have a word with me soon so I can make arrangements to have a welding plug set up for you in advance.

2) Commercially available bead roller - I have my home-made unit over here, but the dies have been built specifically for my PT Boat build, and many of them (being aluminum) won't be too useful for general applications. It would be quite rewarding for many participants if somebody could bring along a commonly available bead-roller and dies for the rest of us to see in operation.

As I've mentioned previously, feel free to bring along any other metalshaping tools or projects that may be of interest to the rest of the group.

ACCOMODATIONS

If anyone requires a place to stay, there are several motels located within ten minutes of my place. If you would like me to dig up some more information regarding accomodations, send me a PM and I will gather some more info regarding rates and reservations.

OK guys, let's pick a weekend and go for it. I'll be watching my messages for your date preferences, and I'll keep everyone up to date on the feedback I recieve as soon as it comes in.

Cheers,
Ken

PS - I took the wrecking ball to another partition wall downstairs last week, so our available workspace has expanded to roughly 80% of the basement. The furnace/laundry room is the last hold-out, but I'm sure we'll find a way to intrude on it somehow.

Tisdelski
02-01-2006, 10:18 PM
hi ken,
i`m sure theres got to be a laundramat nearby and a furnace is not a necessity . how cold could it get in canada?

gary

Moob
02-04-2006, 05:38 PM
Hi Ken:
Have enough room for one more attendee? I live south of Brantford, and would like to hook-up with some other fabricators in the area.
I am hoping to attend John Crossley's metal shaping course this month also so let me know when you set a date please.
Thanks Mark

kenb
02-06-2006, 06:45 PM
Hi Ken:
Have enough room for one more attendee? I live south of Brantford, and would like to hook-up with some other fabricators in the area.
I am hoping to attend John Crossley's metal shaping course this month also so let me know when you set a date please.
Thanks Mark

Hi Mark,

Welcome aboard, it's always excellent to meet another local metalshaper, so I hope you can join us over here for our regional meet. I've added your name to my contact list so that you are kept up to date on future developments. I'll be making a decision about the date for this event before the end of this week, so keep an eye on your PM's for updates.

Cheers,
Ken

kenb
02-12-2006, 09:00 AM
Hello again Metalshapers,

I've heard back from almost everyone who has expressed an interest in participating in our Southern Ontario Regional Metalmeet, and I'd like to officially announce that this event will be held on the weekend of March 11/12.

Based on the preferences I recieved from interested participants, this is the one weekend that works for everybody I've heard from so far, and I hope this date will also work out for those who have indicated that they have to play it by ear with regards to employment commitments several weeks from now.

I'll be sending out another batch of PM's to everybody early this week, listing all active participants and the equipment they have indicated that they can bring along with them. This message will also contain information about rates & reservations at the motels close by, and I guess I'd better get busy drawing up a map for you guys to find your way over here.

We have two group projects under consideration at this time, and there's still lots of time for you to make suggestions if you have an idea that might be suitable for keeping a basement full of metalshapers busy for two days. I've suggested building an 18 guage sphere, and I understand that there are at least a couple of you guys working on motorcycle fenders who might be interested in bringing them over.

OK folks, that's all I have right now, I'll add anything else I can think of to the PM's I'll send out early this week.

Cheers,
Ken Burt

fordguyfordman
02-12-2006, 10:24 AM
Hey Ken,
The dates look good to me, all being right in the world...I'm there.
Our move should be done by then.
Let me know what size of 18 g you need for the sphere,also do you want aluminum or steel. Perhaps both just to see the difference in how the materials react.
Tom

george tichbourne
02-13-2006, 04:22 PM
I will try to make it as well.

George

derant
02-13-2006, 06:37 PM
Hello Ken,

The March 11/12 dates work for me. The only glitch may be the equipment I am able to bring. My buddy that I was hoping would attend with me won't be back from vacation until March 12, so that may prevent me from bring my Ewheel.
I'll see how it will play out as the weekend draws nearer.

kenb
03-02-2006, 06:03 PM
Hi Guys,

With just over a week to go, it's time for another update on our Southern Ontario Regional Metalmeet. I intended to post this message for you sooner, but things have been a bit on the hectic side over here while I've been dealing with the preparations to the workshop. I'm happy to announce that I'm almost on the home stretch now, so I should have no problem having everything ready for you guys on March 11 & 12.

I have a couple of new issues to discuss, as well as some some suggestions that I've recieved from some of the guys who are coming over. Here are few items I'd like to share with the rest of you.

MAPS

I've posted a couple of maps below for you guys to find your way here with; one is a general view of the Hamilton area that includes all of the major highways, and the other one is a close-up of my local area at Hwy 5 and Brock Road. Although you can download these maps from the internet yourself, I would suggest saving and printing these maps instead, as I have customized them for you with PaintShop to make them somewhat more user-friendly for people who are unfamiliar with the area. Both maps (with directions included) printed out just fine over here on 2 sheets of 8 1/2" x 11" paper, so printing them shouldn't be a problem for anyone. To save or print them directly from this posting, simply right-click each map below and select "save picture" or "print picture" from the menu that appears.

SAFETY GEAR

Since we will be working in shop conditions, each participant should ensure that they bring along basic safety gear, such as safety glasses and reasonable footwear, work gloves, as well as any additional protection required for operations you intend to do such as welding, etc. I'll make sure that I have a box of ear plugs available over here as well to deal with the noise issue.

HOURS OF EVENT

The Southern Ontario Regional Metalmeet will begin officially at 9 AM Saturday morning, but participants who are staying in town for the weekend are welcome to drop in Friday evening after 7 PM to say hello and have a look around. Since I anticipate having my hands full setting things up throughout Friday, I'd like to wait until Saturday morning before the hammering starts.
Once we get to work on Saturday morning at 9 AM, we can go on as late as midnight if anybody is still in the mood, and then we can repeat the whole routine again beginning at 9 AM Sunday morning. I'm going to make sure that I'm scheduled to work the afternoon shift on Monday, so a late night on Sunday won't be a problem for me.

GROUP PROJECTS

1) Motorcycle fenders - Two participants have indicated that they may bring motorcycle related projects over.
2) 18 guage sphere - Sounds like fun for a group of rookies, let's try to make a sheetmetal soccer ball.
3) It's not too late for suggestions, so feel free to speak up if you have an interesting idea.

GENERAL TOPICS

Work Tables - Horizontal work surfaces will be in large demand over here during our regional meet, and I'm presently working on the details to ensure that everybody has adequate space to work. Since the workshop is in my basement, any additional work-surfaces will have to be the folding type in order to fit down the basement stairs, so I'm looking at renting a couple of heavy tables to provide adaquate bench space for this event. If you have a solid collapsable worktable that you could bring along, please let me know.

Welders - Kenny and Tom are bringing welders and taking care of the welding preparations for us.

Coffee - Steve from Port Huron is bringing the coffee making machine to wake us up in the morning.

Garage Heat - Steve from Pickering is contributing his salamader heater to keep the garage warm.

Food - I'll make some calls to some of the local restaurants & taverns to see what they are prepared to do to accomodate large delivery or take-out orders to keep us fed with minimal distractions. More info to follow after I have a word with them.

Flexible Shape Patterns - It would be nice for us to be able to try this out, but I'm pretty green at this technique and I wouldn't even know what to ask for if I had to locate the materials. I doubt that I'll have the time to bone up on the details in time for the regional meet, so if anybody could take care of this it would be much appeciated.

Shrinking Disk - One of our fellow metalshapers was wondering if anybody has a shinking disk that they could bring along to do a demonstration for us. I'm sure that many of us would like to have a look at one in action, so if you have one around please bring it along with you.

CONTACT INFORMATION

Ken Burt
35 Taylor Cresent
Dundas, Ontario,
905-628-7905
kenb2@cogeco.ca

Since I work the afternoon shift and every second weekend, I can be a bit of a pain to get hold of on the phone sometimes. If you would like to get in touch with me on the phone, your best chance will be after 10:30 PM on most days, please leave a voice message if I'm not around so I can call you back. Alternately, I can be reached pretty quickly by e-mail or Metalmeet private messages, since I never tend to wander too far away from either one for very long.

That's all I can think of right now guys, please fill me in if you can think of anything I seem to be forgetting. I hope everybody recieved my previous PM that outlined the local motels, let me know if you didn't recieve it and I will send it to you again.

I'm looking forward to meeting all of you at our Southern Ontario Regional Metalmeet on March 11 & 12.

Cheers,
Ken Burt

http://www.metalmeet.com/photopost/data/3589/Hamilton_Surrounding_Area.jpg

http://www.metalmeet.com/photopost/data/3589/Brock_Rd_Hwy_5.jpg

kenb
03-10-2006, 03:45 PM
Hello Metalshapers,

The Southern Ontario Regional Metalmeet is officially a GO for this weekend. I'm looking forward to meeting all of you tomorrow morning.

Cheers,
Ken Burt

http://www.metalmeet.com/photopost/data/3582/BANNER.jpg

jlrussell4
03-10-2006, 04:16 PM
Hi Ken,

WOW! you went all outhttp://206.125.208.236/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif The sign looks great. I hope you guys have a good time and learn a lot.
Take alot of pictures:-)

FriarTuck
03-11-2006, 03:50 PM
Nice job Ken, I'm looking forward to reading about all the fun you guys are having. Great looking sign, I'll bet that will draw a ton of attention. Keep us posted.

Tuck

tpinkard
03-12-2006, 07:52 PM
Hi all,
Just got back from Canada, eh! Had a great time meeting some great people. I have heard that there are no strangers in this world only people you haven't introduced yourself to, well I have to say that this weekend that was certainly true for me.
Up until now I hadn't been able to do much beating on any metal, so this weekend was quite a learning experience. Ken B. was the perfect host and a great motivater. Derrol was a great help to us all as well. Kenny was there teaching a us a bit about bead rolling and welding and such, great guy.
The first day I spent moving around from the basement to the garage and back. The shaping happening in the basement, bead rolling and what not in the garage. I was trying out my hand with tucking (thanks for the demo Derrol) and stretching. That night I went to bed worn out. My hands were swollen the next morning.
Went back to Kens on Sunday morning. Ken and I for the most part finished what we were trying to accomplish. Got to see Tom learning from Derrol how to hand make a motorcycle fender. All this and get to meet new friends too. Awsome!!!
Well I am tired so I'll go for now,
Tim Pinkard

PS here is a link to Kens pics of us.
http://www.metalmeet.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=3582

Kerry Pinkerton
03-13-2006, 04:36 AM
Looks like a great meet! Love the basketball!

Darol was at MM05 and was working hard at mastering tuck shrinking. Obviously he cracked the code!!!

Host a regional MetalMeet. If you hold it, they will come!

Steve B
03-13-2006, 05:29 AM
2 hour drive there, 2 hour drive back
Got a chance to bead roll, first time, thanks Kenny.
Did some tuck shrinking this I have to practice a lot more.
Meet some more great guys from both sides of the border.
worth the time??
You Bet!!
if you have the chance to go to a meet ........GO
a huge thanks to Kenn B for opening your home
Steve B

Steve@Reliance
03-13-2006, 07:36 AM
Many thanks to Ken for hosting a great weekend. It was a real treat to get to know everyone who attended and share their knowledge. I gained a ton of insight on what my personal needs are as far as equipment goes and even got to put a compund curve on a piece of metal!

FriarTuck
03-13-2006, 08:13 AM
Great meet Kenny, you all look like you were having a blast. That basketball is a great exercise in metalshaping. Derrol has really done wonders since MM05, and I love your new wheel. Kudos

Tuck

derant
03-13-2006, 08:15 AM
I just want to thank Ken again for being willing to host the first regional MetalMeet north of the border. As well, to thank the guys that showed up for coming to make the Meet a success. Hopefully this will get the ball rolling! I would love to host one, but I don't have the facilities...but I'm going to see what I can come up with (Community Halls etc).

It was my pleasure to share my knowledge and equipment with those that attended. I loved the spirit of sharing and openness that was MetalMeet2005, and I like to give back and share what I know. A year ago I could only dream that I would be doing what I am doing know. But thanks to this website and the folks that inspired it, I am shaping metal!!

Let's not wait too long to have another Meet http://metalmeet.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_biggrin.gif .

fordguyfordman
03-14-2006, 04:12 PM
1st ever canadian meet...hopefully not the last. I came with a few things and a lot of interest. I left with more knowledge about this addiction than I ever expected.
Ken, you where a fabulous host. The standard has been set.
Derrol, you where a great help and I can't thank you enough for the training and teaching you gave us.
It still amazes me how a dozen people who have never met before could work and get along together without any problems or conflicts. Even the neighbors dog was friendly too us.
Thanks to everyone for such a great weekend. hope to do it again sometime.
Tom

Boogiemanz1
03-14-2006, 09:37 PM
Hi Derrol, You stayed hooked up at MetalMeet and worked real hard.......that is the basis of about any learning. I'm glad you are sharing your knowledge.......now it won't be so hard to drag those guys to MM06..............john

kenb
03-14-2006, 09:56 PM
Hello Metalmeet,

I'm very happy to announce that the first ever Southern Ontario Regional Metalmeet this past weekend was a huge success. Although I was too pre-occupied most of the time to do an official head count, I do know that we used up roughly twenty nametags over the course of the weekend. Needless to say, the turnout far exceeded my most optimistic expectations, and it has definitely cleared up any questions I had about the interest level in metalshaping in the Southern Ontario area. The weather was amazing as well, allowing us to mingle around outside in T-shirts in bright sunshine on one of the warmest days we've seen around here since last fall.

As a first time host of a Regional Metalmeet, I couldn't have asked for a better crew than the one that arrived at my place Saturday morning. I met some very talented and friendly people, and I'm looking forward to working with every one of them again at the regional meets in Ontario that are sure to follow in the near future. The spirit of co-operation and camaraderie in my workshop this weekend was very enjoyable experience for me, and I would like to thank everyone who attended for making this event such a success.

When the doors opened on Saturday morning, I have to admit that I was initially a bit overwhelmed with the collection of people and truckloads of equipment that was assembling in my driveway. Although I was quite fascinated by some of the projects and tooling these guys brought over to share, a mere Saturday and Sunday simply wasn't enough time for me to take it all in. If I didn't have the time to check out what you brought over this past weekend, I'll be sure to catch up next time we get together to work some metal.

On Saturday, the attendees spent much of the day migrating back and forth between the basement workshop and the activities that were going on in my garage. We did the metalshaping in the workshop, where we had two beater-bag stands, tucking forks, and english wheels working virtually non-stop for the entire weekend fabricating an 18 guage skin modelled on a basketball. When peoples arms got tired, they were able to rest up occasionally by venturing outside to check out the welding demos, or to try out a bead-roller or one the many other types of metalshaping equipment that were provided by the rest of the participants.

On Sunday, Derrol went to work with Tom on his motorcycle fender, while the rest of us carried on with the basketball project. At the end of the day, Tom had his new fender blank, and the rest of us succeeded in skinning 50% of the basketball. I think we could have finished the basketball if we had one more day, since the two remaining panels only require another few hours of work to bring them up to finished condition. I'm going to put away the basketball and the four 18 guage skin sections, and I'll bring them along to finish the job when we get together again at our next regional meet.

Although the overwhelming success of this event must be attributed to all members who attended, I'd like to shine the spotlight on a couple of folks who really made an impression on the rest of us.

I'd like to make special mention of Kenny McKickan, who managed to cram an entire warehouse full of tools and equipment into a Dodge pickup truck for the trip from London, Ontario. Kenny and his buddy Kerry set up this stuff in my garage and driveway, and they provided a multitude of activites for my guests to enjoy throughout Saturday.

I'd also like to express my special thanks to Derrol for everything he did for us this weekend. Although Derrol had to attend a wedding on Saturday afternoon, he still found the time to deliver his english wheel and beater-bag stand for a group of total stangers to use until he could make it back on Sunday. When Derrol arrived again Sunday morning, he spent the day teaching us many of the skills he picked up when he attended MM05 last fall. Our regional meet wouldn't have been the same without you Derrol, and on behalf of all who attended, I would like to offer you our profound thanks for your generous contributions.

In closing, I'd like to announce that the Southern Ontario Regional Metalmeet in Dundas, Ontario, will be an annual event from now on, and I'm looking forward to your company when we gather here again next winter. I expect to meet everyone again sooner than that of course, at the other regional meets that I suspect will be organized in Ontario, Canada in the coming months.

I've attached a few pictures of our weekend below, and many more pictures of our Southern Ontario Regional Meet can be viewed here in my photo gallery:
http://www.metalmeet.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=3582

Thanks again for your participation guys, I had a great time.

Cheers,
Ken Burt

P.S. - I found some extra tools around here that don't belong to me, and I'm pretty sure that the owners would be interested in seeing them again. If you are missing a cardboard box with a welding face shield and other tools, or a pair of yellow ear-muffs or a measuring tape, send me a PM and we'll make arrangements to re-unite you with your stuff.

I took this picture Friday night when things were ready to go.

http://www.metalmeet.com/photopost/data/3582/medium/BANNER.jpg

Here's Derrol explaining the finer points of motorcycle fender fabrication.

http://www.metalmeet.com/photopost/data/3582/medium/Derrol_explains_the_fender_fabrication_process.jpg

This is the first completed skin section for the basketball.

http://www.metalmeet.com/photopost/data/3582/medium/metal-clad_basketball_1.jpg

Tim Pinkard from Michigan shows off two completed skin panels for the basketball.

http://www.metalmeet.com/photopost/data/3582/medium/Tim_shows_off_the_half_metal-clad_basketball.jpg

This is the crew as of late Sunday afternoon.

http://www.metalmeet.com/photopost/data/3582/medium/Steve_Tim_Ken_Derrol_Chris_Basketball.jpg

Kenny McKickan from London, Ontario.

http://www.metalmeet.com/photopost/data/3582/medium/Kenny_McKichan_sharing_a_smile.jpg

Tom from Pickering demonstrates the perils of getting your fingers jammed between the wheels!

http://www.metalmeet.com/photopost/data/3582/medium/Tom_Hill_shows_us_how_NOT_to_use_an_e-wheel.jpg

Wray Schelin
03-14-2006, 10:56 PM
Hi Ken,

The first year at George's shop in Huntsville, AL made a strong positive impression on all of us that attended... fast forward five years and we see the same spirit at your Canadian MetalMeet. :D I guess we're on to something.:D:D

Thanks, for helping to grow the MetalMeet community and the craft of sheetmetal shaping.

Thanks for the great pictures, preparation, and excellent write-up.

anders nørgaard
03-15-2006, 08:36 AM
Hi Ken,

Congrats on your first regional MM http://206.125.208.236/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif http://206.125.208.236/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif http://206.125.208.236/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif http://206.125.208.236/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif http://206.125.208.236/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif
Looks like you guys had a GREAT week end http://206.125.208.236/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif http://206.125.208.236/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif http://206.125.208.236/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif

Thanks for sharing!!!!!

ronh72c10
03-16-2006, 05:08 AM
Sorry I missed it, sounds like fun. Looking forward to attending the next one.

Ron

fordguyfordman
03-27-2006, 06:08 PM
Wray,
It looks like your humor is as good as mine. Your animated picture by your name follows my photo fooling around beside Kens ewheel.
Tom

Kerry Pinkerton
03-27-2006, 06:35 PM
Great job on the meet Ken. Fun aren't they? Did Derol build the unpainted bench wheel that looks a lot like our 23B? Looks like he did a nice job on it.

kenb
03-27-2006, 09:42 PM
Great job on the meet Ken. Fun aren't they? Did Derol build the unpainted bench wheel that looks a lot like our 23B? Looks like he did a nice job on it.

Kerry,

Thanks for the kind words, our regional metalmeet in Ontario was a great time for all who attended. I learned a ton of new things while I was at it, and I'm already looking forward to the second annual Southern Ontario Regional Metalmeet over here next winter.

Interestingly enough, you actually share a little bit of the credit for making our regional meet happen! Back in late December, I was right on the verge of making the first posting calling for a regional meet, but I still had cold feet for various reasons and I was still reluctant to take the first step. That's when I saw one of your responses to another poster regarding the hosting of regional meets, where you said "Ya'll just have to drive a stake in the ground, if you hold it, they will come!" After I read that, I more or less threw caution to the wind and I wrote the first posting to Metalmeet shortly afterwards. The response was amazing, and eight weeks later we enjoyed the first ever Southern Ontario Regional Metalmeet. Thanks for coining that phrase Kerry, modern history was altered just a little bit when you wrote those words in the Metalmeet forums.

The unpainted benchtop wheel is in fact Derrols, and it was a real treat to have around for our metalshaping weekend. Derrol did a fine job putting it together, and it worked very hard for us over the course of the weekend. Nice machine.

Cheers,
Ken

derant
03-27-2006, 09:51 PM
Kerry,

Yup, that is the wheel I put together after seeing and using yours down at MetalMeet2005. I realized after the MM05 how crucial it was to have a wheel to, so I set about making on. I can't tell you how much I appreciate the info freely given by you and Wray on ewheel design and construction.

I was inspired by your 18F model, so mine is an 18 as well. I used 3"x5" 1/4" tubing, cut all the tubing angles on a bandsaw and welded it with a Lincoln AC225 tombstone welders borrowed from a friend. So far so good. It hasn't fallen apart yet :mrgreen: .

Kerry Pinkerton
03-28-2006, 04:10 AM
You're welcome Derrol. That is what this group is all about. I've been a member of the metalshaping community since late 2001, about a year after it started. What has been most amazing to me is the growth in skills and knowledge that I've seen in that time.

Send me some photos of your wheel after it's done. I'm going to create an Imperial 'clones' page on our website.

gearhead1
04-22-2006, 04:14 PM
Ken....sounds like it was a great success! I was bummed I couldn't make it, now I'm really bummed. Please let us know if you or anyone else you know will be hosting another next year. Looks like it was a great time.