PDA

View Full Version : chopping the roof on 1948 chev 3 window p/u

z48
12-26-2005, 09:14 PM
help, I need some infor as to how to lay back the pillers. I have taken 2 inches out of the roof any pictoral help would be appreciated thank's

rookie
12-27-2005, 01:37 PM
Hi Z48. A real name would be a little friendlier, but have you thought about just adding a piece to the roof to make it fit again?

Phil

Tisdelski
12-27-2005, 07:46 PM
hi ,
i don`t have any build pics. of my shop truck, but when i chopped it (3 inches) i laid the pillars back by cutting the whole cowl window section out , putting it where i wanted it and the welding it back in. if i were to do it again i think i would leave a strip in the middle (3-5 inches long) bend the lower portion back and then fit and weld the rest.
the upper part only required a slice in the corner of the door post opening and the bending it to where it need to go.
this is the only pics i have at this moment.

gary

gregfri
12-27-2005, 08:21 PM
Hi (name?). I have chopped several of these trucks but I have always lengthened the roof instead of leaning back the posts. Either way will work fine. You said you had already cut 2 in. out of the roof? Where did you cut the windshield posts?I hope you cut them at about the center of the post. You will need to make a relief cut where the post meets the roof, then push out the windshield post. Make another relief cut at the cowl on the lower post, then pull it in till the top and bottom are aligned. Keep in mind you will also have to change the angle of the front of the window frame on the door. You will also have to make a pattern for new glass for the side windows plus make the inner window trim fit.You may already know all of this, I just want to make sure you know what you are getting into.
How are you planning to install your windshield? Original rubber or urethane it in? Are you going to V-butt the windshield?
If you could post a pic of what you have done would be helpful. Good luck, Greg