PDA

View Full Version : Smithy I1324

wingmen13
12-18-2005, 12:21 PM
I just got my smithy I 1324 and I must say even though there are some problems with it I love it. It is much better than the older machine I had. I know some guys don't like the 3 in 1 tools but for an army guy it suits my needs.

gator 1
12-19-2005, 05:45 AM
Hello. I just sold a smithy I1324. Only reason i sold it was i started doing bigger stuff. Now have a 14 inch lathe and a 2 hp sharp mill . What problems are you having and maybe i can help. I installed the dro on mine and made all the difference in the world. Gator

Kerry Pinkerton
12-19-2005, 06:25 AM
Just because some don't like a particular thing (tool, brand of car, etc), it doesn't mean that it won't work fine once mastered. :)

kustomizingkid
12-19-2005, 01:41 PM
Just because some don't like a particular thing (tool, brand of car, etc), it doesn't mean that it won't work fine once mastered. :)

That dang english Wheel, what a peice I realy hate that thing:) :) :) .

Brandon McCarthy

wingmen13
12-19-2005, 06:15 PM
The only real problem I have is getting a higher bed. everything else seems to be okay. I still need to square the tailstock to the lathe. I was opening a premilled stock a little wider and couldn't really do the job the way I wanted because the mill head didn't come all the way down to the bed (read vise). so I did 1/2 then flipped it over. I did install a DRO and you are right it made all the difference.

David

erwine12
03-25-2006, 06:24 PM
I have had a Smithy 1324 for about three years now. I have not had the funds to get the DRO yet but I have had many excellent accessories "fall into my lap" as they say. For example, I stopped at a house because I saw machinery in the garage and talked to the owner for a while. I mentioned that my next purchase would be an indexer and the guy said "Why don't you take this one, i'm not going to use it, it's kind of beat up". Wow. It turns out the thing is at least one hundred years old and still works great. I made a release cam for the english wheel I am building with it so far and it came out great. If you have not scrapped the tool post that came with your machine yet , I highly suggest you invest in a quickchange type of toolpost asap. It made my life so easy. I had to modify it (imagine that) to make it fit but it was worth it tenfold. I got mine from http://www.victornet.net/cgi-bin/victor/index.html I have made many parts for my custom harley and a few tools also. I have not had the pleasure of using a better machine, so I am in Hog Heaven. I love it.