PDA

View Full Version : Questions about tools used by jesse james

sherwoodchoppers
12-17-2005, 03:53 PM
I was wondering if anyone could give me any info on tools used on monster garage and motorcycle mania 3. The tools i was wondering about were the blue metal shear he used to cut copper for the monster garage chopper, the aluminum cone on the lakester and his copper bike in MM3. The second tool i was wondering about was the stainless steel grain tool (i think it was pneumatic) It looked like a regular belt sander as if the belt was 2 or 3 inches wide and it was about 1 foot long. He used on the one stainless tank on the fire truck brewery once he was done working with it. It basically made the stainless grain run the same way on the whole piece once it was welded. Anyone else have any ? on any other tools used on the show just ask, ive researched most of them im planning on buying the shear once i find it and would like 2 buy the eckold but thats a cool 33g's Thanks, patrick

Gonejunking
12-17-2005, 07:14 PM
Patrick
I'm trying to remember the show, if I remember right he used a Bostch shear. It's been a while since I've seen the show, so I could be wrong on that.

As for the grain on the stainless steel, that's called a brush satin finish. It can be done on aluminum or stainless steel, using a scotchbrite pad 100 grit rotating in the direction that you want the grain to go. On stainless, after the satin finish is applied, the piece is passivated.

On aluminum, the piece would get an alodine 1000 coating after the satin finish.

Peter Miles
12-17-2005, 07:54 PM
Jeffrey said: On stainless, after the satin finish is applied, the piece is passivated.

That made me wonder, how does one passivate stainless steel?

A quick Google on the topic yielded this first article:
http://www.mmsonline.com/articles/100304.html

How many people here are passivating Stainless Steel in a home or hobby workshop environment?

It would be interesting to hear about your experiences.

Kerry Pinkerton
12-17-2005, 08:32 PM
I don't think it's legal for two consenting adults to passivate in Alabama.

Sorry, just couldn't resist. Wow, I've learned a lot at MetalMeet but a new words are pretty rare! Learn something new every day if you pay attention!

Gonejunking
12-17-2005, 10:02 PM
Kerry,
What, you've never heard of passivating??

Peter,
That artical is better reading then the BAC spec's that I have to read!

The one thing that surprise's me, is more people don't use it!

A cleaning bath of distilled water, then a 20% nitric bath for 30 minute's.

Pretty easy!

Pete's Metalshaping
12-18-2005, 12:02 AM
Jeffrey,

Which alodine would you use, clear or gold?

Doug98105
12-18-2005, 08:06 AM
Regarding passivation of SS parts.......

Other than a stress critical part, like for Boeing, I've never seen a drawing call out passivation. This is especially true of stainless parts with decorative brushed finishs, the metal fabricators I work with don't passivate brushed surface parts. The only treatment I've seen them do is an electro chemical process to remove discoloration in the heat affected zone from welding.

If a part does need passivation, send it out. It's one of the least expensive of the "finishing" processes. Although, these days I expect there'll be a substantial environmental charge added to the passivation bill.

weldoneinc
12-18-2005, 02:24 PM
Patrick , The blue metal hand shear he used was made by Trumph . I dont know the model # but i have seen them at trade shows it will cut threw .125"steel.
James

kustomizingkid
12-18-2005, 02:28 PM
The shear is a striaght version of the pistol grip ones you see alot more of. something like this works great on sheetmetal.

Brandon McCarthy

sherwoodchoppers
12-18-2005, 06:47 PM
i found the shear, there are 3 models, the 160-2 the 160-2 plus which has a chip cutter and the 250 which is the sweetest thing ive ever seen. I found pics of the cut it made in copper and there are no tooling marks whatsoever the other 2 pics are of it cuttin polished stainless and even some al diamond plate. Thanx for the help on that one, the little 160 is 250$ and the 160 with chip clipper is 185 off http://www.awisco.com/trumsheetmet.htm . im getiin a price on the 250, ill put it here. Im still tryin to find that belt sander thing for doin stainless of alum, any help would be appreciated.

check out the pix of the 250
Thanks, Patrick

edwardd_
12-18-2005, 07:20 PM
Patrick,

Try here....

http://www.csunitec.com/sand/surfacefinishing.html

HTH

zgoo
02-24-2006, 06:15 PM
The tool is made by Nitto air tools and is call a Hairliner. I happen to see that show and said "Hey, I got one just like it" :grin: Great tool.

Here is a link to the site:

http://www.nittokohki.com/en/displaycontent.asp?ID=74

Dan