PDA

View Full Version : Stocking Stuffer Disc Sander

Peter Miles
12-08-2005, 08:28 PM
I had my nose back out of my corner for a few days last week, doing some therapeutic shopping for Christmas toys for my favorite novice metalshaper.

I was looking for a good sander when I found this little puppy just crying out for a little TLC and a good home.

http://www.metalmeet.com/photopost/data/3882/medium/Full_Right_Side_2_.JPG

However, a 40" diameter, dual-disc sander filling about six square feet of floor space may be just a little too big, even for me. It is definitely bigger than what I was looking for.

This is an old, belt-driven Besly sander. The yellow guards are a much more recent addition while this was still in government hands.

Does anyone have any knowledge of Besly sanders?

Does anyone know of a source for 40" diameter PSA sanding discs? My guess is that they are going to cost at least $100.00 per disc, judging by the price of some 30" ones.

I don't know whether to bring this little puppy home for Christmas, or to leave it in the pound.

http://www.metalmeet.com/photopost/data/3882/medium/Adjusters_2_.JPG

It has some nice features, but is is old and BIG. Also, the tables don't extend all the way across the face of the discs. The pulleys and cables going over the tops of the vertical posts are part of a mechanism to counterweight the tables.

It appears to be in pretty good condition overall, but the paint is certainly peeling off. At first glance I thought that it might be a poured babbit bearing machine, but it appears that there are large, thin-shell plain bearings on the drive shaft. They might have been an upgrade at some point.

Thoughts??

Boogiemanz1
12-08-2005, 08:38 PM
Peter, I looked at one of those at Tinker AFB. It came witha roll of adhesive backed sandpaper. Looked like you just cut some off, stick it to the disc then trim the edges. Looked to be about 60 grit...more sander than I needed.

It also had the guards and the counterweight, and the table is only under the side that is moving downward when in use. I guess it keeps you from sticking a part in there and having it thrown straight up.

I bid $75 bucks on it and was glad I didn't get it..............john

kustomizingkid
12-08-2005, 09:37 PM
That seems like it might be just a little excessive. What is the advantage to haveing a 40 inch disk? The good thing is I don't think you would ever have something to big for it to handle.

Brandon McCarthy

tdoty
12-08-2005, 09:53 PM
Perfect for those times when overkill is just enough :)

Tim D.

Gonejunking
12-08-2005, 11:17 PM
Peter
I think this one is to small, better let me have it, and you look for a bigger one!! LOL

Doug98105
12-09-2005, 02:50 AM
"Does anyone have any knowledge of Besly sanders?

Does anyone know of a source for 40" diameter PSA sanding discs? My guess is that they are going to cost at least $100.00 per disc, judging by the price of some 30" ones."

Looks to cool to pass up Peter.

Besly made double disc grinders among other things. Double disc grinders are like two huge bench grinders (maybe 100hp each) mounted so the wheel faces oppose each other. Work is fed in between the wheels to grind it to precision thickness. Larkin Precision down in the Kent valley does double disc grinding for me.

40" discs shouldn't be a problem. Do a Google on "custom sanding belts". You should come up with companies called "converters". They make custom size sanding belts and discs from bulk rolls of abrasive. Converters are sources for odd ball length belts for obsolete sanding machines and foreign machines using metric sized belts. I have 1" x 91" belts custom made for my G&P sander.

Doug

Peter Miles
12-14-2005, 06:54 PM
I still haven't decided whether to purchase this sander, but I have found a local source for PSA discs to fit it.

Dick at:

Abrasives Northwest Inc
(206) 575-0735
1114 Andover Park W
Tukwila, WA 98188

did some research and said that he could special order them (they would be made to order). Minimum quantities would be ten of any requested grit. 40" diameter PSA discs in 40 grit aluminum oxide would be approximately $33.00 each in lots of ten. Finer grits are slightly less expensive.

Turnaround on an order would be several weeks.

It is good to know that there is a local source and that they are so reasonably priced. I was really surprised by that price because I thought that it would be several times that amount. I guess that I'm still not sure that he might not discover that the price was in error if I go to place an actual order - I would definitely place a firm order with a locked-in price before committing to that big machine.

I'll be home on Friday and I'm going to go look at a couple more sanders at another machinery dealer. He has a 30" Oliver dual disc sander that he said he's about ready to do a fire sale on. I don't know what kind of condition it is in, however. He also has a big belt sander that I almost bought this summer that is still there.

Maybe I'll find myself a present this weekend.

edwardd_
12-14-2005, 07:06 PM
Peter,

I have had extremely good luck with Econ Abrasives.

http://www.econabrasives.com/

Nice folks in my opinion. Quick service and fair prices. Just my experience as a customer.

Gonejunking
12-14-2005, 10:18 PM
OK Peter
What's the dealer's name?

Doug98105
12-14-2005, 10:42 PM
I still haven't decided whether to purchase this sander, but I have found a local source for PSA discs to fit it.

Dick at:

Abrasives Northwest Inc
(206) 575-0735
1114 Andover Park W
Tukwila, WA 98188

did some research and said that he could special order them (they would be made to order). Minimum quantities would be ten of any requested grit. 40" diameter PSA discs in 40 grit aluminum oxide would be approximately $33.00 each in lots of ten. Finer grits are slightly less expensive.

Turnaround on an order would be several weeks.

It is good to know that there is a local source and that they are so reasonably priced. I was really surprised by that price because I thought that it would be several times that amount. I guess that I'm still not sure that he might not discover that the price was in error if I go to place an actual order - I would definitely place a firm order with a locked-in price before committing to that big machine.

I'll be home on Friday and I'm going to go look at a couple more sanders at another machinery dealer. He has a 30" Oliver dual disc sander that he said he's about ready to do a fire sale on. I don't know what kind of condition it is in, however. He also has a big belt sander that I almost bought this summer that is still there.

Maybe I'll find myself a present this weekend.

Peter,

The discs are not a problem. There are plenty of sources without paying the markup Abrasives NW will add.

Doug

Travis B.
12-27-2005, 10:11 PM
Peter,

Did you end up getting the sander on steroids? I've accidently lauched a pretty good projectile across the shop with my 18" sander. Just imagine the damage that 40" of spinning terror could inflict.

Travis B.

Peter Miles
12-28-2005, 05:20 PM
Hi Travis,

No, I haven't purchased it, but I haven't definitely said no yet, either.

However, on Friday I think I may go pick up a fairly large belt sander instead.

I saw it last summer but have somehow misplaced my data on it.

I'll let you know this weekend or next week.

Peter Miles
05-30-2006, 11:52 PM
I decided not to get this big disc sander.

I agreed to buy a belt sander from a dealer in December, but I was unable to coordinate our schedules over a period of 5 months, so I decided to keep looking.

Yesterday, I bought a belt sander shown in the following thread:

http://www.metalmeet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5165

btw, the disc sander was at Purcell's in Clearview, WA. It is probably still there.

jvo
06-01-2006, 10:36 AM
Excessive, Brandon? If you were to look in Webster's unabridged dictionary under "excessive" there is a photo of Peter Miles standing beside Jeffrey Mindt and a short quote something along the lines of "obsessive compulsive tool purchases". John V.O.:)

Peter Miles
06-02-2006, 07:51 PM
Excessive, Brandon? If you were to look in Webster's unabridged dictionary under "excessive" there is a photo of Peter Miles standing beside Jeffrey Mindt and a short quote something along the lines of "obsessive compulsive tool purchases". John V.O.:) Hey, I passed on the dual 40" diameter sander.

And when I was at George Washington Machinery, I didn't think that I had any need at all for the 102" x 49' (yes, feet) lathe or the 12' x 30" column radial arm drill or the 50" cold saw.

How much more understated can a guy get?http://www.metalmeet.com/forum/images/icons/icon10.gif

Dutch Comstock
06-03-2006, 04:10 PM
Peter, You and I think alike. After I got the 5 1/2 ton 8 foot 8 gauge shear in my shop I know I can sqeeze a couple more large tools in. Dutch

rsanter
06-03-2006, 06:49 PM
the big belt sander would be perfect for people who do large wood bowl turning

bob