PDA

View Full Version : Reneé's tool rack

Gene_Olson
12-02-2005, 07:06 AM
Reneé thought she was posting about wire puzzles a few minutes ago, but I think it was about being organized.
All the shots I have seen of their shop are so tidy and part of the tidyness comes from nice touches like this.
http://www.metalmeet.com/photopost/data/500/cthngr.jpg

Look at that nice row of sander/grinders, hanging on those left over rod pieces from that last buck project.

That's a great fix to clutter. Off the table, out of the way, right there when you need it . . .

Thanks Renée

Gene

Renee n Jerry Conrad
12-02-2005, 07:17 AM
Thanks Gene, but that's Dad's work organizing! We spent a long time thinking about processes and work-groups so we could cram the most possible equipment into the smallest possible floor space and still be able to use it!
;)
Renee

jtkelsey
12-02-2005, 09:01 AM
I made something similar but not so deep so that the grinder wouldn't tangle as easily. They may not be pretty, but they work fine for what I need them to do.

JJ13
12-02-2005, 06:10 PM
that would make good use of those pesky guards I never use!!!

doug_walter2002
12-02-2005, 06:30 PM
I must have a bunch of guards someware, thanks for the idea.

jvo
12-03-2005, 08:51 AM
First of all, Renee, how do you put that little accent mark above the second e in your name?
NOW, this is probly gonna get me in trouble, but.....they shouldn't let girls into the shop, 'cause they wanna have stuff clean and tidy all the time. Okay, just kidding, just kidding. Renee, that's your dad's tidyness? I'm guessing he'll tell us different, when we get him alone with a couple drinks in him. John V.O.

Gene_Olson
12-03-2005, 09:07 AM
If you are on a pc with a default English keyboard.

é = hold down the alt key and type 0233 release the alt key

If you want to write Anders Nørgaard.

the ø is alt 0248

Trust me, that's easier to write than it is to pronounce.

Macs have different number codes for special characters.

Avalonjr
12-03-2005, 09:11 AM
Hey you probably know DOS too???

The kids nowdays just don't get that kind of education anymore :)

Gene_Olson
12-03-2005, 09:16 AM
It is also the html code.

é is é
ø is ø

dang, this enhanced editor automatically translates html code to letters.

é is = " & # 2 3 3 ; "
(and I am putting spaces between letters here so you can see the code)
and

ø is = " & # 2 4 8 ; "

and yeah, a bit of Dos but I'm kind of rusty.

There is always the old Amish on your honor computer virus,
Go to start, select programs¦accessories¦command prompt
and type format c:
etc.

(don't do that)

G.

Renee n Jerry Conrad
12-03-2005, 09:28 AM
I just used microsoft word, inserted the special character for the é and saved it to my desktop as 'renée's é' so I can get it when I need it. Thanks for the shortcut Gene, sure will be a lot faster!

Dad's our organizer. He sweeps and cleans the shop pretty much daily. I have learned a lot watching him think the organization through. Customers come in to a well-lighted, well-organized, working shop and they say "WOW! I've never seen such a CLEAN shop!!!". I believe this is very good for business. We work hard to keep our grounds, shop and equipment looking good. If we can't take care of our own stuff, who's gonna trust us with THEIR stuff?!

It has been my experience that 'girls' who are willing to actually go into a shop to work try harder. They are better socialized to work with people, more likely to pick up after themselves and they NEVER take my projects away from me, mess them up and expect me to be grateful. Nor do they often offer unsolicited advice as do most of our male customers who would not be paying us to do something if they actually knew anything about it themselves.. Send the 'girls' over to OUR shop! I'll be glad to take 'em and help them feel comfortable while they're there. We find that keeping our shop 'female friendly' is a SUPER business moneymaker.

:p
Renée

jvo
12-03-2005, 02:37 PM
I guess I should see what it would cost to buy your dad a plane ticket to my house. Maybe some good habits would rub off on me. I actually did get a couple stands powder-coated a couple days ago, though. Swept up, put some more stuff upstairs in the garage,(someday the garage might fall down), but its beginning to look a little better every week. Thanks Roger, for the Bugly Tools round 2 it. John V.O.

FriarTuck
12-03-2005, 04:06 PM
Around my house is 1 lovely wife, 1 beautiful (19 year old) daughter, 2 spunky (female) Labs, 1 cantanqurous (female) tabby cat, 1 cow Moose with 2 (female) calves, and ME. I'm quiet a lot, and I NEVER leave the seat "up". We have three grown sons that keep asking me "Who are you, and what did you do with my Dad"?

hardtailjohn
12-03-2005, 07:07 PM
The very best ever shop help I've had has been women. They usually try twice as hard, listen much better and will do things the way I ask them to do. I always tell them I'm willing to hear their ideas and we usually try them to see if they're better. The guys I've hired seem to always wind up thinking they know how to do something better than me and just do it their way and it's usually a disaster... so I'll take one female helper over 3 male helpers any day!
I was raised around women too, Friar Tuck.. we ran a "dude" ranch when I was growing up, so I was surrounded by about 50 to 60 women for 2 months each summer, but they quit it about the time I could really appreciate it.. :-(
And now I have 2 daughters... the oldest (19) has been rebuilding her pickup here in the shop with me all summer and fall and has done a great job and really enjoys it!
John H.

Gene_Olson
12-03-2005, 09:03 PM
:roll: :roll::roll: :roll:

Could be. maybe . . .

I've had some fine employees of both persuasions.

and some clinkers.

and sometimes they are the same person.

The hardest part about being the "boss" is
getting through to the help,
getting the help to talk about their concerns
and then LISTENING to the help.
And then getting them to DO THE JOB,
your way, maybe their way, but you get it done.
(and if they think it should go their way, make sure they realize there is more to the puzzle than the pieces that you doled out to them. )

That and being clear about goals, time frames, and the relation of their work to finishing and getting paid.

When I was doing props, I had a good painter. She was doing a great job.
We had a discussion about doing a small painted surface that was to go from dark to light. I wasn't too concerned because the item was going to be 10 feet in the air in almost certainly bad light.
"Oh no spraying is the easiest way."
don't think so ( it was about a three minute job with a brush.)
"Oh yess it is, I did it at the Guthrie Theater all the time It's the way I'm going to paint it."
I had other things to do, and when I came back the job was done. It looked fine and she was right, it WAS better than it would have been if it had been brushed on. (pity, no one was going to see it) and she got up to leave for the day.
I said what about your mess? You have to clean that gun. You can't leave paint in it.
"Oh, when I'm at the Guthrie the techs do all that . . ."

There is good ones and bad ones and gender isn't the key.

Talent, desire, and effective communication

that

is a good start.

more BS from:

anders nrgaard
12-03-2005, 09:55 PM
If you are on a pc with a default English keyboard.

é = hold down the alt key and type 0233 release the alt key

If you want to write Anders Nørgaard.

the ø is alt 0248

Trust me, that's easier to write than it is to pronounce.

Macs have different number codes for special characters.

Yeah Gene..... unless you're Danish :lol:

Seems like your keyboards are different from mine... I just click the key right next to the "?" key and then the key with the letter I want to put the little "mouse sh%&" above :lol:

olcarguy
08-26-2011, 01:57 PM
Then there is also these handy ones.....Ω = 234 , = 241 , ≥ =242 , = 246 , ≈ = 247 , = 248 ......there are a whole lot more just have to play.....