PDA

View Full Version : Rotational Casting / slush casting / roto-casting

Mordachai
11-15-2005, 03:40 PM
I hope I'm not posting this in the wrong area....

I'm looking for plans on how to make your own roto-casting machine..
I can weld, and can wire up electrics and really don't think I should plunk down several thousand dollars when I can most likely weld one up myself for a few hundred.......

The only thing that really puzzles me is the inner frame drive system...

Anyone have any idea about where to get plans?

Thanks
|M|

Gonejunking
11-15-2005, 03:52 PM
Hi M

What are you trying to cast?

Most of the centerfuge casting is done on a small scale for jewlery, but there are other's that use this for fine detail casting.

I need to know more about what you want to do before I can give you more info. Also what mat'l are you casting?

As far as the centerfuge caster, they are simple to build, just be aware that they have to be fully inclosed, incase the mold break's, you contain your pour.

ralph
11-15-2005, 04:29 PM
Hi Mordachai.
There is a good group of casting guys over on the Home Machinist Site. (http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/)
They were just talking about pipe casting today. It was the first time I had heard of rotational casting.

kerrystagmer
11-15-2005, 04:54 PM
I'll check my pile o stuff, Im afraid i might have left mine in the old shop for scrap. I was overwelmed when moving and just gave up and send in the scrap guys at the end. I had a basicly unused caster (3axis rotational) with heater for hollow plastics. There is a good chance it is here in storage and CHEAP

pm me to remind me if i forget to post!

Doug98105
11-15-2005, 06:47 PM
Most of the centerfuge casting is done on a small scale for jewlery, but there are other's that use this for fine detail casting.

I'm expecting some 356 alloy aluminum castings back in a couple weeks. These are thin walled, about 4" diameter by 5" high, maybe a pound in weight.

These are being done by the lost wax process, only instead of supplying the caster with a wax pattern they can work off a solid model CAD file. They'll send the CAD file to an SLA (stereolithography) shop and have the wax (actually some kind of burnable resin) models made. From the SLA model they'll pour a slurry over it and burn the wax out and be left with a hollow mold.

I have no idea how they get the molten aluminum into the mold, maybe a large centrifugal casting thingie like jewelers use?

My understanding was this process is supposed to be very accurate, but the caster told us to add .060" thickness to all surfaces to be machined to account for possible distortion/shrinkage in the castings.

Fairly expensive to do this with the SLA process. For one-offs it's the easiest way to get the wax models though.

Here's a link to a very high tech jewelry manufacturing company that's practically in my back yard. There's a nice shot of a centrifugal casting machine.

http://visualcominc.com/_wsn/page9.html

Doug

Mordachai
11-15-2005, 08:17 PM
gonejunking-
what I'm talking about isn't centerfuge casting (or spincasting), but is similar in that the molds also need to be sealed, so no material leaks.
A Rotational casting machine is a machine that turns on at least 2 axis'.
Some turn on 3, just think of one of those spaceman spinning things that is at the fair, and put your mold in it, so it tosses and turns everywhich way....

I know how to make the molds, and the castings, but lack the equipment myself to do the casting without turning it every which way by hand...

this is an example of what I'm trying to fab up, or get ahold of....
http://www.plastermaster.com/rotation/
http://mannetron.com/roto.htm

Ralph, great site...

kerrystagmer-

Man - that is exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for, if I make it or not, that's what I need(well I need 2 axis- but 3- drool...)
And I will also be doing some hollow plastic casting, cold cast bronze table sculpture to be exact......

thanks so far...

|M|

kerrystagmer
11-16-2005, 03:47 PM
its not looking good, Ive still a pile of tarped stuff to check , but unless i stacked it inside of one of the big kilns (very possible) i dont think I have it. I looked everywhere else i thought i might have put it.

there is a chance one of the guys I allowed to get anything he wanted picked it up, I'll give him a call.

I reduced from 8000 sft (completely full with pallet racks) to 1200 sft of garage space and left a pile of stuff that i couldnt sell off or give away to the scrapman. Its about 5-6 months gone if it was still there. lots is still piled outside my shop under tarps

sucks as it was as new. I purchased it from a school system auction very cheaply as i was thinking about hollow waxes for vacumn casting.

Mordachai
03-02-2006, 06:16 PM
bump.

anyone???

crickets.................

rick_brade
12-10-2010, 08:04 AM
For years I have been saving an old washing machine for the purpose of modifying into a single axis centrifugal casting machine.

Now after seeing some of those 2 and 3 axis machines I may scrap those plans completely.