PDA

View Full Version : JD Squared Tube Bender?

sha_ba_do_bang
11-13-2005, 03:52 PM
Anyone have one, used one? Its cheaper than others, i have been looking at the protools one. It doesn't come with any dies which are as much as the bender, i need one to bend thick dom steel for chassis fabrication

Thanks

Brendan

Bob Baisden
11-13-2005, 04:51 PM
Brendan,

I've got the model 4 from tricktools.com. I like it. If you search pirate4x4.com you will find lots of good info on model 3 bender.

Bob

JJ13
11-13-2005, 09:12 PM
I have the JD2...only have a 1x1 square die so far, but it has worked great. It was very easy to setup and hs worked well.

jtkelsey
11-13-2005, 09:56 PM
I have one with quite a few dies. Some of my dies are JD2 mfg'd some are Protool dies made for the JD2 bender (std Protool dies do not fit). I like the JD2 stuff much better than the protool stuff. However, you mentioned thick DOM. I have bent 1.75" x .250 DOM in my bender and it bent the pin that holds the follower die/shoe. I've also seen dies that the tab for the u-collar rips off too from bending thicker tubing. I'd try to stick with .188 wall or thinner if I were you. A re-enforced HF pipe bender seems to be a better choice for bending super thick tubing.

doug_walter2002
11-13-2005, 11:09 PM
I have a JDsq Bender, and am quite happy with it.

astroracer
11-14-2005, 07:16 AM
Hey Brendan,
I have a pro-Tools 105 and am VERY happy with the machine and their service. The Pro-Tools had a few extra standard features that I liked over the JD unit.

Looking over your chassis intents in your other post I can see you will need to look into having your main rails CNC bent. This is about the only way you will get them all the same and matched side for side. Some of your bends are big long sweepers and these will have to be done on a machine designed for rolling larger radii. Combining the compound angles with the large bends will make this a tough one to do manually... Just something to think about...
Mark

Doug98105
11-14-2005, 07:28 AM
One thing to look at in a bender is whether the bending dies are similar to an industry standard type.

When I scored 1500 pounds of CNC tube bending dies from Boeing I found they fit my machines. The common feature is a 1" diameter center pivot pin hole.

doug_walter2002
11-14-2005, 07:55 AM
Doug, I got some of those Boeing dies too, the only problem was the material was so hard I havent been able to drill it for the drive pins.
1500 pounds worth, that would have been a nice score.

Doug98105
11-14-2005, 09:21 AM
Doug, I got some of those Boeing dies too, the only problem was the material was so hard I havent been able to drill it for the drive pins.
1500 pounds worth, that would have been a nice score.

I think I know the ones you got, a couple of months ago, right?

My deal was at least 4 years ago. Just being in the right place at the right time. Somebody had moved them out onto the main sales floor. The guy in charge told me he'd sell the whole bunch for $100, he wanted to teach the warehouse guys a lesson about putting stuff in his area.

Doug

doug_walter2002
11-14-2005, 11:41 PM
Doug, I got mine a year ago $5.00 a lb. stiil cheep butnot as good as your deal.

ep-98-z
11-15-2005, 09:04 AM
Brendan,
I have the Pro-Tools bender and use it for 1.5 and 1.75 inch DOM tube.
.120 wall x 1.75 is a real muscle-builder but it creates nice bends.

houseoffubar
12-07-2005, 04:42 PM
I just ran across your post, and thought I would tell you about the bender I just bought. I got mine on eBay from power by design. It is a JD squared design that is beefed by up using 3/4 inch plates,instead of 1/2, it is also designed to use a hydraulic ram. I highly recomend looking at this bender, although it requires some parts sourcing, I believe it to be the most bender for the money, Oh, did I mention it was only $199, this is just the bender, with no dies, or stand. The dies are from JD squared. The seller of this item is very helpful, and seems to really know what he is doing. I can't wait to get mine up and running. Eric

Dawai
12-18-2005, 08:33 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v85/ibewgypsie/cncbender_008.jpg

Crappy picture, I apologize. I drilled it on the mill the same spacing as my previous model 3. Added in a 14" cylinder only to blow it out, now it has a 24" cylinder and can cycle a full 120 degrees.

Controls? A old Greenlee Hydraulic pump, manual release, a Unitronics plc/keypad you enter the degrees into, step on a pedal and it goes to it, plus the previous entered spring-back.

It works great.http://www.metalmeet.com/forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=40101#
Very Happy

Avalonjr
12-18-2005, 09:29 PM
David,

How does the bender know the angle that it is at? What is the feedback mechanism?

Dawai
12-19-2005, 08:40 AM
Hi..

I am using a quadrature encoder tied in with the plc. If you look closely at the poor photograph you can see that I cut a toothed belt, bolted one end to the die, as the die rotates it turns the encoder. A weight keeps the tension on the cut belt.

(simple).. Of course I have a degree in robotics.. But I am learning the "easy" things all the sheetmetal bangers knew from the first day on the job. I need to learn how to build a shrinker.. (re: why I'm here)

I ended up with nearly $2k in the homemade bender, three sets of dies ($680) and the plc/hyd conversion ($1,000). Ouch. A few weeks ago I went to sell it on ebay and No takers.
It works so well, it will bend as fast as you can load the tube.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v85/ibewgypsie/Dscn1184.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v85/ibewgypsie/Evo_frame.jpg
Check the sneaky way I Index the "secondary" angles (direction of travel)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v85/ibewgypsie/Bender-INdexer.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v85/ibewgypsie/Dscn1015.jpg
My press has a similar encoder arrangement, but tied to the cnc computer instead of a stand-alone plc.
No pictures of the Foundry area robot, now that was the cats meow Till I destroyed a main rotary gearbox. It was a trolley job w'arms.

If anyone needs help building a cnc control, bender control, or other "robotics device" I am out of work and hungry.

JJ13
12-19-2005, 05:21 PM
That is an awesome idea for indexing your tubing... I hate trying to use a level and angle finder to do that....thats really using your noodle!!!!