PDA

View Full Version : hot rod help needed

docc25
11-08-2005, 03:09 AM
hi i am looking to build the following car and need specs and diagrams if possible on everying from chassis to body panels

Kind Regards
:grin:

Kerry Pinkerton
11-08-2005, 03:57 AM
Welcome Anton! There may be others but you're the first poster from South Africa that I remember.

Most people would start that project with the actual car, modify the suspension by adding a Mustang II or similar front and a modern differential.

Do you have anything as a starting point or are you planning on a total scratch build?????

docc25
11-08-2005, 04:12 AM
Hi Kerry

Thanks for the welcome.
Probably the first from South Africa.
We dont have cars like this to start on or use as a model.
i have a chassis diagram for a ford 32 and since i have a wife and 2 kids cant leave them running behind a car so thats why i wanted to build a four seater hotrod. i will attach the chassis specs
i found it here i think

i have to build from scratch cause if i had to import part the customs is like 40%
so better from scratch

Kind Regards

Anton

Kerry Pinkerton
11-08-2005, 05:21 AM
40%! Ouch!

Well, you have certainly chosen an ambitious project. I'm not a professional hot rod builder but I'm sure some of our members who are will comment.

What you are wanting to do is very similar to the Bugatti build project on another thread:

http://metalmeet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2851

You might want to read through that (it's 60 pages!) for an idea of some of the things you will have to deal with.

I expect that many of the solutions we use over here may not work for you because of the duty issue. We can order complete frames, suspension components, bodies, etc and only pay shipping unless we pick it up in the same state where it's sold. In that case we have to pay sales tax of 4-8%. That's today and a great percentage of all the 'street rods' seen on the streets are built by professional rod builders for owners whose primary contribution was paying the bills. :) Back in the 'old days' rodders took what was at hand and made it work by shoehorning large engines into old cars.

I'd think it would be much easier to start with something you can obtain locally.

Good luck!

docc25
11-08-2005, 05:25 AM
Hi Kerry

Awesome
I ahve been reading that string
an i find it very interesting so far
only on page 13 so far
but i will continue
I am a bit ambitious? lol thanks

Kind Regards
Anton :D :D :D :D :D

Tisdelski
11-08-2005, 08:42 AM
hi anton,
welcome to metalmeet. i`m not positive of the year but pretty sure thats a 1933 or 34 chevrolet sedan. you might want to think about importing a body as they are not real expensive here.

gary

Avalonjr
11-08-2005, 04:34 PM
What type of cars are popular in South Africa? Do you have scrap yards? What types of cars would you find in the scrap yards?

I'm curious about the cars that your county drives. I'm imagining German and British cars. Perhaps you could start with a Mercedes??

FriarTuck
11-08-2005, 06:13 PM
Hi Anton, welcome. I think Gary is right on the model. Considering your circumstances, I would try to find a running "donor car" with a "track and wheelbase" as close to that of the 33 Chevy as possible, and something that the suspension parts could be transferred to a frame like the one you posted earlier. Sounds like trying to import all the "traditional" hotrod parts and hardware would get pretty expensive. I don't know if there is any supply of American made cars there, but the 1990's midsize Ford coupes such as T-Bird and Taurus had a similar wheelbase, and track to the old 30's Coupes and Sedans. I'm using a 1995 T-Bird as donor for a 1935 Ford Coupe. The track and wheelbase specs hit within an inch or so of the original 1935 Ford Coupe specs. If you have to put money somewhere, I would spend it (like Gary said) on a Body. It would really give you a place to start. Trying to "handcraft" a body without an actual body to copy and make "bucks" from would be a formidable task. Good luck and keep us posted.

Tuck

Boogiemanz1
11-08-2005, 09:12 PM
I think I heard that Speedway automotive is having some Deuce Roadster steel bodies stamped out in S.Africa. If i am not mistaken most of the car is built there. If you can find that place maybe they can be a help to you on some parts..............john

JonD
11-09-2005, 01:30 AM
Hi Anton,

My friend has imported about a dozen 1930's cars from south africa (fords/chevies etc). They are out they. He has now stopped doing this after being taken for quite a lot of cash by con men:-x so be carefull.

Are there any other Hot rodders near you that you could chat too, networking usually pays off.

I think there is a nsra style org in SA, so perhaps join that.

Buy a good solid project, save YEARS of time , get on the road and have fun !

jon

gator 1
11-09-2005, 07:46 AM
Hello and welcome. You got a lot of good advice here but i would start in a different direction. How do you go about titling and tagging and insurance issuses with a car like this. Would hate to see you spend money and time and find out later you cant do this a certain way.

Every state in the usa has different laws controling how we build a car. Example

Some states require a 1933 title to be exempt from current laws reguarding cars....Air bags, emissions, seat belts, safety tests. In these states if you use aftermarket frames,motors,and bodies you must comply with current standards. It will be tittled as a 2005 kit car. This may cause problems with insurance.

I would find out all laws pertaining to this build as far as aftermarket bodies, motors, and frames before i started building. Better safe than sorry. You may not like what you here but better to here it before you build than after. Gator

FriarTuck
11-09-2005, 02:29 PM
Anton, do your homework of "Registration Rules". I was up against the same thing with my 35. I have owned it for over 10 years, but wouldn't touch it until I got "clear title", and knew the rules in my home state for registration. Anything else is "Russian Roulette".

Tuck

docc25
11-09-2005, 08:56 PM
Hi

Wow this is an awesome sight with an awesome bunch of people

Thanks for all the advise so far
the cars here have become so scarce its not funny anymore
i have been networking and have met some hot rodders
for a guy that earns almost minimum wage its hard to compete with the guys that earn bundles and can afford to build or even buy the stuff from abroad.
The South African Rand is 6.5 times the us dollar

I am meeting in december with a hot rodding association in south africa so will see how things go from there

If anyone know the speedway automotive site or who is Sa is building the parts please advise

Thanks guys for the wonderful advise
will keep you guys informed

Anton :grin:

captainkirk
11-10-2005, 04:16 AM
I don't mean this to sound like it's not possible to build a car from scratch, but after seeing what a friend went through to just build most of a fender during MM05 and he had the flexable patterns and a wealth of knowledge to pull from during the meeting, it was a real eye opener as to just how hard such a thing is.

Might I suggest that you hone your skills on a smaller scale perhaps a pedal car of the same design this will give you a really good idea of how formidable a task this is likely to be. When your finished your kids will love you and you won't have invested three years salary.
Master the basics of forming first, read the posts on shrinking and patterns and the tools that will be required and how metal gets made into three dimentional shapes. You will need an english wheel and hammers and bags and dollies etc. etc. then even though you have the tools which gives you the "capability" you will still need to acquire the "ability" to use them.
I say this in the hope that you won't throw prescious resources headlong into the project only to find there is no way it's going to happen then you become dissapointed and dejected and have to hear all the nagging from the wife for years to come. Success in this type of "hobby" is mostly derived from knowledge and wisdom gain them first and you will some day be driving down the road in your Hot Rod.
Here's the advise I was given buy a fellow that tried to get me to see the "Light" when I was young "spend two hours looking at it to develop your plan, then spend ten minutes doing it instead of the other way around" I lacked the wisdom at the time to see the value in his statement (still do at times) but I keep it in the back of my head now that I'm old and I have limited time left and unlimited projects to complete.
Life is a cruel mistress!
captainkirk

FriarTuck
11-10-2005, 07:38 AM
Hi Anton, you know, it doesn't need to be 30's American Iron to be a really beautiful Hotrod. Hodrod really means "some car" that has been redone into a sleek, clean, powerfull, handcrafted to some degree, expression of the builders personality. I've seen beautiful Trucks, Baja Buggies, Checker Cabs, whatever, you don't have to start with something "traditional", just something in good shape that is solid to begin with. Then put your effort into "customizing" to add personality. Back in the 1950's there were some incredible works of art done by guys that only had what was "out back of Grampa's barn", and the only tools they had was "what was in Grampa's barn". Nostalgic Rod's aren't gone, they have just been sidelined by the Media and there "Codd-Rods" and "Jessie James Specials". Don't get caught up in the hype. Make this thing "you", not them. My "nickle" cause that's all it's worth.

Tuck

PS: Can you find an old Volkswagen? Take a look at my Son's ride:

http://www.metalmeet.com/photopost/data/3778/bug02.jpg

docc25
11-10-2005, 08:57 PM
Hi

thanks guys
I will think on what the best option will be for me

you guys are aresome

Thanks

docc25
12-11-2005, 11:52 PM
Hi All

I have decided to do a full scratch build 1934 chevy sedan
I have made some lovely new friends that are will to help for beer ... he he he

a marine engineer a motor mechanic involved in drag racing and me.

Its gonna take a while but we will get there

Thanks for all the advise

Also the car is easy to licence in South Africa as a "Rebuild/replica" design
just have to pass raod worthy and i could use it as a daily runner depending on the engine i am to put in there

so the chassis and body are covered
engine i have is a 2.5 litre chevy engine and 5 speed manual gearbox with diff

only problem i forsee is the doors
will read up on that once i get to that stage
have started on designing the interior for the moment

will start chassis in January when i i go on leave and have some time to scout for metal for teh frame

Thanks for all your support and advise

Regards

Anton

roger n cindy
12-12-2005, 06:34 AM
good luck Anton and keep us posted. ask questions often and post answers as you discover them, and remember we also learn from our mistakes so if you mess up don't be shy about it, we wont laugh and may even have an answer for a question you didn't know you needed to ask.
roger

FriarTuck
12-12-2005, 07:56 AM
Hi Anton, go for it. We are here with all the support a bunch of "Motor Mouths" can give. (pun intended) Keep us posted.

Tuck

Boogiemanz1
12-12-2005, 08:58 AM
Good luck Anton. Do you have a chevy that you can use to take patterns from?

you may want to read up on the flexible shape patterns...........john

docc25
12-12-2005, 09:00 PM
Wow the response is awesome

I dont have a chevy to work from
i have a digital picture of it and i have frame specs
but the frame specs will only be a sourse of length and breadth
the rest is totally my idea

I want to build a 4 seater hotrod so i can take my family on sunday drives in relative style
lol

i will keep you guys post
but remember i am only starting in feb as i have to wait for the metal shops to open after the festive season

Thansk for the support

Regards

Anton