PDA

View Full Version : Frame jig / layout table question.

bluechip
10-22-2005, 03:15 PM
Hello I am looking into setting up a frame jig/layout table and are in need of some advice. I am not building a specific vehicle or anything like that so it needs to be universal for my uses and space. Here is what I was planning to add to my new shop/addition. I have located some heavy duty t-slotted surface/floor plates. These are the same style as on a radial drill for instance. There are plates 60"x 66" another that's 60"x 102" and 96"x144". What I'd like to do is say put these plates into the floor so they would be flush with the rest of the floor and not be eating up space when not in use. As I could park a vehicle over them or something like that. The only problem is whenever you were working on a chassis, for instance,it may be too low unless a guy could bolt some sort of extensions off the plate to get up off the floor a bit. Also if I went with the 60"x102" plates I would space them out to where the two plates would be say 115" center to center. That way you could work on something with a wheelbase between 55" and 175" and still be on each plate. Or you could use the 96"x144" plate but they are made out of aluminium and are only 3" thick vs the 8.5" thickness of the other plates. Would it be better to pour a seperate concrete pad for the plates, pour it with the rest of the floor or pour a pad then set the plates in afterward? Am I making any sence or should I just forget about it all together? Any feedback would be helpful. Thanks in advance. Curtis.

anders nørgaard
10-22-2005, 06:09 PM
Hi Curtis,

Instead of the plates in the floor, I'd go for a Celette, Caroliner or Global jig!
Here's a link to a shop using Celette:

http://www.robertosautobody.co.za/pages/panelshop.htm

I know the "bench" will take up space, also when not in use.
You will have a better work height with the bench and it's hard to clean out dirt from the T-slots in the floor.
Years ago panel beaters used Coreg (sp) fields..... basically a "frame" of T-slots made from angle iron in the shop floor...... NOBODY uses them any more!!!
It would also be very hard to align the plates with sufficient accuracy.
Just my 2 c

JJ13
10-22-2005, 09:54 PM
Aligning the plates wouldn't be a major problem, just set them up with a laser or piano wire and grout them in. If I was going to put them in the floor I would set them 1/4" recessed into the concrete (or grout), and then cover them with 1/4" sheet of steel (like a manhole cover) that way they would never be in the way, and you wouldn't have to worry about the cleaning the slots. For a person who isn't doing the framework for a living (I may only do it once every couple years) the idea of putting them in the floor would be an ideal compromise. I think it is a great idea. I would probably also put a couple benchmarks in the concrete so you would always have a perfect center to work from.

Judd

bluechip
10-23-2005, 09:34 AM
Hey guys thanks for the input. I'm just kicking around the idea and wanted to know what others thought about it. Hindsite is 20/20 as they say. You always think of a better way afterwards, just want to try and do it right the first time.

Curtis.

kustomizingkid
10-23-2005, 10:08 AM
For cleaning out the slots you could just use a shop vac to get a the crud out.

Brandon McCarthy

Hairy-Neil
10-23-2005, 11:43 AM
Hi Curtis,

Instead of the plates in the floor, I'd go for a Celette, Caroliner or Global jig!

These jigs are on their way out in the UK too Anders. Basically anything that is so badly damaged that it needs to go on a jig is written off by the insurance co's these days. I've seen a Celette bracket jig make as little as £25 on Ebay.

anders nørgaard
10-23-2005, 02:58 PM
Brandon,

I don't think the T-slots are wide enough for the tip of a shop vacuum!

Neil,
If had the opportunity to buy one at that price, I WOULD!!!!!

Richard,
You just said what I meant to say! Thanks!

The way you did it is.... uhm... the global jig frame with a top on it.... using the Celette jig system ona a table top. Great idea using it as a table too http://www.metalmeet.com/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif

For a Celette you buy a set of jigs for each car model ($6k+).:-o

The Caroliner and Global jig benches are more... uhm... universal. They have "jig beams" that slide longitudinally on the bench. those beams have "jig holders/brackets" that slide transversally. The jigs are attached to the brackets on the beams. Jigs are adjustable in height.

Just got a notification that I got mail.... that was your's Richard http://www.metalmeet.com/forum/images/icons/icon10.gif
Yeah that would be a heavy thing. Celette's frames are from 8" x 8" by 5/8" wall thickness I-beams. That's heavy :-o :-o

Hairy-Neil
10-23-2005, 04:14 PM
Neil,
If had the opportunity to buy one at that price, I WOULD!!!!!

For a Celette you buy a set of jigs for each car model ($6k+).:-o

I saw the one go on ebay shortly after I had finished building my own jig bench from scratch. :mad:

Celette jig brackets are available to hire by the week in the UK as you need them. Most just own the bench. Unless you only ever work on one model its cheaper to rent the brackets. Its 10 years or more since I last used a Celette, They cost about £150 for the week's bracket hire then. ;)

anders nørgaard
10-23-2005, 04:19 PM
Celette jig brackets are available to hire by the week in the UK as you need them. Most just own the bench. Unless you only ever work on one model its cheaper to rent the brackets. Its 10 years or more since I last used a Celette, They cost about £150 for the week's bracket hire then. ;)

Hi Neil,
Same herehttp://www.metalmeet.com/forum/images/icons/icon10.gif

Dirk D
10-24-2005, 05:28 PM
This table is the nicest table I've ever seen and wouldn't be that hard to make. The aluminum tooling plate pretty much comes in any size you want, and is cast. It is also blanchard ground (from the supplier) so it is truly flat plate.http://www.joeiacono.com/01_news_chassis.html

If you need a set up for collision repair then the floor plates might be ok.
If you are building chassis or doing chassis alterations then Those plates would not be very handy. Hard to build a frame on the floor!

I recomend building a table type jig. Fairly easy to build and also you will have a steel table to use for other things when not building frames on it. I built one when I started my shop years ago and use it every day for something. Couldn't do without it!!

Jig assemblys are just bolted to the table top where needed or even tacked with a welder then cut off again when done with them.

I even put whole cars up on mine. Like when adding a front clip. Building the jig members as needed.

here's a drawing of how I built mine. ( keep in mind that it has to be built very accurate if you want your frames to be accurate too).

astroracer
10-25-2005, 08:53 AM
Curtis,
If you haven't looked through my "Gettin' Jiggy with it" thread take a look at it. Some of the initial design pics have been lost but starting on page 5 there are a number of good photos so you can see what my jig tables look like.
http://www.metalmeet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1118&page=5&pp=10
Go to page 8 and you will see some pics of the top I put on it and the start of the front cradle asm.
These tables have been very handy in my shop and I have put them to a lot of use.

bluechip
10-25-2005, 10:28 AM
I remember seeing that post some time ago. I was just going to try and come up with a bunch of ideas and then conbine all those into the best one for my application. Like I said I am looking into a new addition/new building and want to plan as much out in advance that I can. Thanks for everyones input so far.

Curtis.

DanGunit
11-06-2005, 01:32 PM
Hi Guys,

Here is probably the slickest fixturing setup I've seen, I found them when I went to Westec this last year, a little pricey, but totally modular for any fabrication project! www.bluco.com As I said, they are a little pricey, but you may be able to fabricate something similar if you have friends with CNC's or large machines to drill the holes and just buy blanchard ground steel plates and use normal hardware? Anyway, just thought I would throw that into the mix.

Cheers,