PDA

View Full Version : Outdoor Wood Heater

idontno
10-21-2005, 11:47 AM
I have read a lot about outdoor boilers.They don't sound to good.I want to build a outdoor wood stove.Small concrete building(insulated good)with a good homebuilt stove in it.It would have to be fairly air tight to keep out the smell. Then have a in and out duct from the tomb.Tap it into a large room through the wall of my house.Have the return from a cool room in the house or at the fartherest room from outlet.Anyone done it?I know the duct lines will have to be insulated ,but that a small problem.I know I can fire a stove better that way.Wouldn't have near the smoke and it would burn a lot cleaner.Thanks and plz give me you comments and suggestions.idontno

Jeff Parker
10-21-2005, 12:07 PM
At first , I thought you were talking about a Taylor stove. Its a stove with pipework built into/above the firebox. Typically sits about 30' from the home. It heats hotwater to run through hot water registers within the rooms. It also supplies an unending supply of hot water for showers, wash,etc.

Never heard of a air/air exchanger though.

hardtailjohn
10-22-2005, 09:29 AM
I have an outdoor boiler and LOVE it!! I've also seen a shop that was heated by a stove set up the way you're talking about, and it worked well too. He had the door on the outside of the heat exchange "building" and you never noticed a smell.
John H.

Bill B
10-25-2005, 07:30 PM
I heat with a Hardy (Manufacturing Co.) stove. It has a water jacket, circulator pump, and fan to pump up the fire when needed. A heat exchanger is plumbed in the air handler of an electric forced warm air furnace.

A lot of people around here build something like it themselves. You can download the manual on the web and take a look. At least two other companies make something similar.

It's obvious you are leaning towards the air to air setup. They seem to be simple at first glance but the water jacketed heater may have some advantages.

Good luck with your project.

Gene_Olson
10-25-2005, 08:05 PM
Bill,
I currently have a wood stove inside, but I also have a bunch of radiators and about 500 gal of antifreeze.

Could you give me some more info on the water jacket stove???

G.

Avalonjr
10-25-2005, 08:42 PM
I'm questioning whether you are considering exchanging air with the inside of the "hot" building or the flue gas from the stove.

Whatever you do, make sure that the design allows easy cleaning of the exchanger. You will build up creosote on the cooler surfaces.

Bill B
10-25-2005, 08:46 PM
Hi Gene,

Hardy's web site is http://www.hardyheater.com/

Didn't look around the site much this time but my heater was salvaged by previous home owner and came with the house. I downloaded the manual from the site. It's a real simple "thing" to work on. If you download the manual you might have specific questions.

You won't need any antifreeze with a furnace like the Hardy. When it's below zero at night and in the low teens daytime two "fillings" is all it takes. The fire box is surrounded with an insulated water jacket. When the thermostat calls for heat the water circulator begins pumping water from the water jacket around the fire outside to the heat exchanger inside the airhandler in the house, the fan begins circulating air in the home at the same time. If and when needed a small fan will pump air into the firebox to really get things going.

It's basically a wood fired forced hot water system. The furnace itself is outdoors, away from the house. The hot water could be circulated through baseboards as well. Very simple system, easy to mantain and safe. Can send image of it running from the other computer if you or anyone is interested.